Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226900 - 06/29/11 01:43 PM Rank order possible scenarios
algo19 Offline
Stranger

Ok, first post but have been lurking for a long time. I was watching a show on Nat Geo the other night about "Preparers". Basically it documented how different family units have prepared for survival when society breaks down. Some scenarios were coronal mass ejections from the sun, hyper inflation, etc.

I live in the suburbs of a large metro area. here is my list of threats I believe I am most likely to encounter. Each one presents it's own challenges and ways to survive. I am trying to plan, prepare, and train with the family for each of the following.

1. Severe Weather/Fire
2. Economic Collapse (market crash)
3. Power grid failure
4. Flash Mob/Terrorism
5. Virus/Super bug

My question to the masses is... If you had to rank order your 5 most likely scenarios where there is a complete break down of society what would it be?

#226902 - 06/29/11 02:08 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome to ETS!

My preparations are aimed at short-term (less than three days), and medium-term (three weeks or less) emergencies. A complete break down of society over a long term is not something I'm planning for.

In my neighborhood, we've banded together and helped each other out during several weather emergencies and power outages. I fully expect for our little corner of society to continue operating in future short- and medium-term emergencies.

If I were you and planning for a complete breakdown of society, I'd be moving out of the suburbs into a rural area with water and the ability to grow your own food. I'd be investing in tools, stored food, medicine and survival skills. Keep in mind, though, that it's very hard to provide for your security when you don't have good neighbors.

#226904 - 06/29/11 02:32 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I pretty much mirror chaosmagnet on my perception of threat...I live on the central Gulf Coast of Florida and hurricanes and tropical weather are my priority threat, followed by a weaponized biological or terrorist event....am prepared for about 60 days and working on additional dried stores which I would like to extend to 6 months... I have access to a pretty good protein supply with the Gulf of Mexico...have some good neighbors and friends (access to milling machine/wire welder/lathe and myriad of woodworking tools)... I shoot competatively, and have better than average skills...welcome to the forum

#226905 - 06/29/11 02:49 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Severe Weather/Fire, Power grid failure and Virus/Super bug would cause resources to be brought in to deal with the issue. Lots of folks injured and dying causes those remaining/surviving to join together.

Economic Collapse on the other hand is a man-made issue that can drive the have's and have-not's to collide. Interesting times ahead.

If a Flash Mob/Terrorism resulted, it would be a result/symptom of the scenario and not a trigger.

#226906 - 06/29/11 03:09 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Severe weather and power grid failure happen regularly where I live, especially around this time of the year. I prepare for it like I prepare lunch. Food, shelter, batteries, and communication.

The other stuff on your list is just far, far less likely, in my opinion. Fire, burglary, sickness, car accidents, and other regular life's troubles are probably more of a challenge. Complete breakdown of society is easy to prepare for. You just need a good cache of a variety of hard liquors and condoms, and you'll be all set. This works for coronal mass ejections, too. Try doubling the dosage. Liquor can also disinfect for the superbug invasion. (Seriously, am I wrong in thinking that it's just going to be really hard to prepare for the superbug? Unless we know what it is, it's going to be hard to do the things to protect oneself, except the relatively commonsensical stuff.)

I'm still working on the alien invasion scenario. Zombies, too.

#226910 - 06/29/11 05:01 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
algo19 Offline
Stranger

Ah, forgot about the good old EMP. Part of my planning includes a faraday cage at home. I haven't thought about one at the office or in my car. May be a good idea to put a cb, and short wave radio at the office. I don't even know if it would work in a vehicle. How would you ground it?

I am asking about both "scenarios that result in the complete breakdown of society, those that are a result of said breakdown."

The reason I pose this question is two fold. One to bring out things I may have missed or forgotten (like the emp) so I can then prepare for the ones i feel actually have a chance in happening. The other is that there is so much crap out there about TEOTWAWKI and I would rather ponder some quasi reality about logical threats. I want to pick the 5 most likely and prep accordingly. I have already done a bunch, but I am far from feeling comfortable.

I doubt there will be a complete breakdown of society. If there is I feel it will most likely be confined to certain areas that are away from my daily routes. Not saying that chaos may spread to my area, but it would take a while for all the other prime targets to be looted before a band of marauders shows up in my neighborhood. I think most threats would be local but could quickly unfold into a national emergency. Enough rambling, any more thoughts?

#226913 - 06/29/11 06:00 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: chaosmagnet]
algo19 Offline
Stranger

True about the neighbors. I only have a few that trust enough to talk about this sort of thing with. As much as I would love to get out of the city it is going to have to wait until I retire.

#226914 - 06/29/11 06:03 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It might be prudent to have at least 3-6 months supply of food (12 months is even better) put aside (if you don't already) before the beginning of the August as a little insurance against events where there is clear actionable intelligence as to the possibilities of what may occur as the US Federal Government runs out of cash.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-06-28-debt-limit-impasse-Congress-O bama-Social-Security_n.htm

Quote:
Although the Treasury Department likely could avoid delaying Social Security checks, the analysis by the Bipartisan Policy Center points up the depth of the cuts that would be needed if the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling isn't raised.

It shows that in August, the government could not afford to meet 44% of its obligations. Since the $134 billion deficit for that month couldn't be covered with more borrowing, programs would have to be cut.

If Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, payments to defense contractors and interest payments on Treasury bonds were exempt, that would be all the government could afford for the month. No money for troops or veterans. No tax refunds. No food stamps or welfare. No federal salaries or benefits.

Fiat currency may get a little unfashionable (requiring the trade/transactions in precious metals to be made illegal) as the austerity measures would truly get that 1930s depression feeling full on. Trading some paper for some chow, while you still can, makes sense even as a hedge against potential inflation as canned goods have a 3-5 year shelf life.

Last week at the supermarket the price of a can of spotted dick increaed by 20% (used to be £0.99 now £1.19)

#226915 - 06/29/11 06:13 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: LesSnyder]
algo19 Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the input. I to shoot competitively also and like to think i can hold my own grin. I hunt and fish so those skills are already developed. I weld and fix junk at work. I practice survival skills in the back yard on the weekends with my kids. My daughter is 3 and is not as interested as my son. He is 5 yo. I try and make it fun. I try and make things into games to play such as making tinder bundles and lighting them with fire steels, edible gardening, water gathering, camping out (in the back yard) etc. One thing I am lacking is that I only have about 2 months of food on hand. I would like to get it to 6mo-1yr.

#226916 - 06/29/11 07:19 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

Trouble is trouble, and much of it is dependent upon the size of the problem.

1. Economic crisis (the stock market isn't a cause, it's just an indicator of faith in the economy) - this is going to be worldwide, nothing local about it.

2. Weather can affect the food supply, and so can crop diseases.

3. Earthquake with possible volcano eruption side issues.

4. Power grid failure - there have been signs of weaknesses, and lack of upgrading can cause problems.

5. Zombies -- we're not supposed to talk politics here.

Algo19: if you live in a large metro area, what will you be hunting and fishing for there? Pitbulls?

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.