Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#222010 - 04/20/11 06:35 PM "Canadian" water storage solutions
jenks Offline

Nothing against any other countries of course, but I'm pretty sure you won't find any "Real Canadian Superstores" south of the border...

Not sure if this is old news, but...
The stupidstores (a Loblaws division) are carrying bottled water in a 10L size, in a rectangular jug, branded as "Real Canadian" natural spring water.

The jug is white, semi opaque durable recyclable plastic. I left it boucing around in the back of my truck for two weeks and took it boating last weekend and the jug survived just fine. I threw it in the freezer before the weekend and although it did not freeze solid, it was almost frozen right through with no issues there. The outlet is like what you would find on a wine box, with a blue tamperproof lid over that in the store.

The best part of it all is that it has a shelf life of 2 years and a cost of $4.80Cdn

So rather than spending 15-20 dollars on a similar sized Reliance container, I'm going to start buying,stocking and cycling through these guys.

no commercial interest, blah blah blah

If desired, i'll try to post a pic later.

jenks

#222011 - 04/20/11 06:42 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: jenks]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the water up there is so good why would you buy bottled water?
ok..it's not great everywhere---

#222014 - 04/20/11 07:02 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: CANOEDOGS]
jenks Offline

Our city tap water is actually some of the best you can get...

I guess i'm just kicking myself because i've been buying and filling and storing and rotating water in those blue jugs at four times the cost and four times as often and with four times the effort, compared to buying and cycling through these jugs.

They aren't really condusive(SP?) to being refilled but i've got lots that can be...

I guess the cost isn't four times as high as it comes out even after 8 years...

These certainly don't replace MWCs or the blue jugs but i won't be stocking up on anymore blue jugs from this point forwards.
Plus, since these are coming form the grocery store, the cost totally flies under the radar... wink

#222032 - 04/20/11 08:46 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: jenks]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: jenks
snip...
Plus, since these are coming form the grocery store, the cost totally flies under the radar... wink

The sneaky factor shouldn't be under appreciated. wink

#222038 - 04/20/11 10:37 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: 7point82]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would love to see a picture of your Canadian container. If it is the same as the rectangular 2 1/2 gallon water (almost = 10L) we have here south of you, they are very poor containers for long term storage and often don;'t work for transport very well. Smaller recyclable containers work much better (BPA concerns aside).....

#222042 - 04/20/11 11:19 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: hikermor]
jenks Offline

Hikermor:

The plastic is like milk jug plastic but i'd say probably twice as thick.

I know they aren't MWCs or even as tough as the Aquatainers but I've got probably twenty of those stashed, I'm not going to be buying anymore of them. Okay, maybe a few more MWCs...

For the price though, I can buy a couple of these every trip to the grocery store and slide them into my paved, structurally sound crawlspace.

Truely I've got over 100gal in rugged containers. These would be in addition to those and if nec, be handed out to other families in need without ever thiking or worrying about getting the original container back. Also the are a reasonable size to freeze and or take in the camper or boat, so i can cycle through them before they get stale dated.

Will work on gettin a pic up tonight

#222050 - 04/21/11 01:14 AM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Jenks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222163 - 04/22/11 09:46 PM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: jenks]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: jenks

So rather than spending 15-20 dollars on a similar sized Reliance container, I'm going to start buying,stocking and cycling through these guys.

jenks

I tried that with a different brand that contained 2 gallons in a rectangular container just like you describe. It quickly sprung a leak in a seam and all drained out. It was just sitting on a rack in my storage area. It was made out of something similar to milk jug plastic.

#222182 - 04/23/11 01:56 AM Re: "Canadian" water storage solutions [Re: jenks]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've bought those 10L poly containers and found they store pretty well. They won't take a huge amount of physical abuse but they seem to take normal handling and shipping as long as you don't toss them around and watch sharp edges and things like rocks. We took a couple to the beach and one sliding around in the back of the truck with sand a gravel developed a pin hole in a corner. Otherwise a good product.

The plastic doesn't take long term exposure to sunlight well and a few months in the Florida sun causes the plastic to get brittle. Found this out when I used old container to hold some light chains and binders. I went to pick it up and the plastic fell apart in my hands. So keep it in the shade.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.