Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220226 - 03/25/11 02:53 AM I need small, high-quality advice...
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I am building a key-ring (S-Biner) with small high quality components attached. I need components than cost around $7 each, unless I already have them. I need to have Light, Fire, Knife or Multitool, Navigation, Cordage, Signal, and 1 Pill Capsule filled with either Tylenol or Bayer, and 1 filled with either Potable Aqua or Katadyn MicroPur tablets. Any help and suggestions are appreciated! I will also buy generics if they are quality!

#220227 - 03/25/11 03:05 AM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
Frisket Offline
Addict

http://firesteel.com/products/GobSpark-Ranger-FireSteel.html

http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Tube-Pup.html

The Second one is 15$ tho but its much nicer in that its in a protected tube and smaller then the ranger.

As for light The Egear pico light was 10$ at my local Dicks sporting goods.

Navigation if you look on the firesteel.com website they sell 20mm compasses.

Cordage Id go with a spool of Mason line from your local hardware store usually its 8$ for a 700ft spool.

#220228 - 03/25/11 03:57 AM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
LIGHT: Countycomm LED button-cell keychain lights are well-made and cheap at $1.20 each. The DR-designed e-gear Pico flashlight, available lots of places for $10 or less, is much more rugged and worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

FIRE: A Mini-BIC disposable lighter costs around $1.00. Glue some gutted paracord to the sides and give it a few wraps of electrical tape to make a loop that will hang on your key-ring.

KNIFE: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic is sold at Radio Shack for $5.99, a heck of a deal. 2.25" blade, scissors, nail file with screwdriver tip, toothpick and tweezers in a small, thin package.

NAVIGATION:Compasses from smallest to largest: Silva Micro (discontinued, but still available on-line for around $6.00); Silva Carabiner ($4.99), Silva Companion ($5.99) and Silva Forecaster ($7.99, with thermometer). BONUS ITEM: Silva Sportsman's Tool, $6.99, combines a compass, thermometer and signal whistle in one.

SIGNAL: Countycomm.com also sells a survival whistle for $1.20, or you can find the Fox 40 rescue whistle for around $5.00

CORDAGE: Videos abound on YouTube showing how to make various paracord lanyards.

PILL VIALS: You can get keychain pill vials from $1.50 and up, depending on size and style.

#220235 - 03/25/11 09:10 AM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: Mark_M]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For light, I recommend the Fenix EO-1, about 12.50. Runs on commonly available AAA batteries. Stick a lithium battery in there and you have a lot of light.

Edited by hikermor (03/25/11 09:11 AM)

#220236 - 03/25/11 09:53 AM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

For a knife, hard to go wrong with the little spydie slippies (bug, honeybee). Cheap, sharp, NKP friendy. For a multitool, for cheap and key chain, maybe a sebertech or swisstech?

Cheapest fire option is a bic with a rubber band to stop it going off - wrap it in duct tape and include a loop to attach to keychain (oops just seen MarkM comment)

Photon lights are pretty good

I've used kitestring as a cord - thin nylon braided cord - not as strong as paracord, but you can pack a lot into a small space - even into a capsule to stop other things rattling

#220237 - 03/25/11 10:58 AM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: Mark_M]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
<snip>

FIRE: A Mini-BIC disposable lighter costs around $1.00. Glue some gutted paracord to the sides and give it a few wraps of electrical tape to make a loop that will hang on your key-ring.

<snip>

I also find that these work really well for keeping a Bic on a keychain.

#220240 - 03/25/11 12:26 PM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
ajax Offline

High quality equipment that only costs $7 seems to be antithetical.

While I like the County Comm SOLEDs, the plastic eyelet that attaches to the split ring has been broken on nearly everyone of these that I've bought. I've probably lost 5 of these completely with the others rendered to drawer lights.

#220248 - 03/25/11 04:21 PM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Disclaimer - no affiliations with any companies or products listed or linked to

Light: Rayovac LED from wal-mart (but be careful of the metal ring attaching the light to the clip, mine came apart - for that matter this could be a weak point on any keychain items so check ALL of your items for weak points)
Fire: I would suggest another pill fob with a sparklite and tinder quiks inside
Knife or Multitool: hard to get a good one in the price range you mention but how about the leatherman micra or gerber shortcut, the gerber curve, or a small swiss army knife - close to your requested price point (e-bay has some deals on used and airport-confiscated micras and swiss army knives but be wary of a micra lookalike that is located in and shipped from china that clearly states it is a micra but is obviously NOT a micra)
Navigation: how about one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brunton-Scout-Compas...=item1e614fecca
Cordage: Mason line or maybe jute twine (doubles as extra tinder)
Signal: Fox 40 micro, howler or pearl

#220257 - 03/25/11 07:11 PM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: Mark_M]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
[quote=Mark_M]LIGHT: Countycomm LED button-cell keychain lights are well-made and cheap at $1.20 each. The DR-designed e-gear Pico flashlight, available lots of places for $10 or less, is much more rugged and worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

I have had trouble with the plastic loops on the countrycomm lights breaking off. The lights themselves are great. If I used them I would epoxy the metal key ring to the back of the plastic light.

David Enoch

#220258 - 03/25/11 07:40 PM Re: I need small, high-quality advice... [Re: sybert777]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
My suggestion is to go to e-bay.

Search for the item you want. Click on Buy it Now option on the left side of the page to only get buy it now items. Search with price lowest to highest. That will give you sources for all of your items at the price you want to pay. Only you can know what you want to put on the key chains.

David Enoch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 603 Guests and 80 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.