The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217470 - 02/18/11 08:11 PM repackaging water purification tablets
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I read here that bottles with special teflon lids are needed to repackage iodine-based water purification tablets. I am finding deals on ones with polypropylene lids and was wondering if these would work as well? As always the help of the ETS community is greatly appreciated.

#217479 - 02/18/11 10:07 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Mark_F]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
While polypropylene is fairly inert to iodine, the iodine slowly sublimates (converts into a gas) which will seep out along the threads and even through the polypropylene itself. Then it'll start reacting with everything else it touches. You can try wrapping the bottles top with teflon tape but if it fails you will have all sorts of problems.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#217484 - 02/18/11 10:47 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Mark_F]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Seems like most iodine tabs I've bought were in glass bottles with steel caps. Even then it says that they lose potency once open.

Is there a reason you want to use iodine? I'm not a scientist, but from what I've read iodine isn't all that great for water disinfection. Supposedly chlorine dioxide is the really good disinfectant. Aquamira and Potable Aqua both make chlorine dioxide tabs.

Aquamira also offers a type where one mixes two chemicals and creates the disinfectant. I assume (but haven't researched) that buying in the two chemical form is cheaper.

HJ

#217499 - 02/19/11 01:14 AM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Mark_F]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I did this for a while. While tab-per-tab, iodine is a better buy than chlorine (maybe), since I'm rotating them every six months rather than every two years in the emergency gear and then a year in camping and hunting stocks... hmmm... I carry clorine dioxide.

And the items you are looking for are called septas. I've got some in storage at my folks. The seal is better than nothing, but imperfect even with teflon tape on the threads.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#217518 - 02/19/11 03:15 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Mark_F]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I wonder if iodine tabs are really a better buy if they don't do the job when you need them to. ClO2 is definitely more expensive on paper.

There's also taste. I won't argue that ClO2 is tasty, but it is at least to me more palatable than iodine.

I one were to want to have something longer lasting, one might want to look into liquid iodine. Polar Pure, if I recall correctly is iodine in liquid form. I believe it's shelf life is far longer than tablets.

From the Polar Pure website:
Quote:
Question: What is the shelf life of Polar Pure?
Polar Pure uses pure elemental iodine which has an indefinite shelf life. It does not degrade with time or temperature if kept tightly sealed. The iodine in your Polar Pure bottle will sublimate (vaporize) if the bottle is left open. Be sure that your bottle is tightly capped between uses. Iodine complexes -- tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets -- are sold under various names (Globaline, Potable Aqua) are convenient and effective when fresh but degrade on air exposure; tablets should be discarded 3 months after opening bottle. Polar Pure will produce a saturated solution capable of disinfecting your water for as long as you can see iodine crystals in the bottom of your Polar Pure bottle.

Note: no affiliation, financial interest, etc. I normally filter, hate the taste & smell of iodine, and have not tried the product.

HJ

#217601 - 02/20/11 08:27 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Mark_F]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
I wouldn't recommend repacking iodine tabs. They degrade quickly when exposed to air. I personally stick to micropur tablets - They're individually packaged already, which makes them incredibly easy to put into small kids. I also find them less quirky than iodine tablets in terms of usage.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#217618 - 02/20/11 11:17 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: garland]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: garland
I wouldn't recommend repacking iodine tabs. They degrade quickly when exposed to air. I personally stick to micropur tablets - They're individually packaged already, which makes them incredibly easy to put into small kids. I also find them less quirky than iodine tablets in terms of usage.

How do the small kids feel about that? wink

HJ

#217629 - 02/21/11 01:09 AM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
How do the small kids feel about that?

Can't say, but I bet they're crypto-free! wink

Think of the alternative: "Mooooooommmm, Jimmy's got giardia gas again!"

#217630 - 02/21/11 01:19 AM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
rofl yeaaah kids = kits

nice catch XD
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#217661 - 02/21/11 02:38 PM Re: repackaging water purification tablets [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I also have the chlorine dioxide tablets. Can I repackage those in the vials with the polypropylene lids?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.