Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#216871 - 02/11/11 05:16 PM Making a better Mora
PHeller Offline
Stranger

I've just been searching this forum as a lurker, and looking on about 3 other different blade/knife/survival forums for the answer to this question:

How to make a better Mora, without spending over $50.

There seems be lots of Scandi grind blades with nice handles in the $100 range, but I think that is far too much for a knife I'll really only use when in the woods.

I'd like a cheap knife that holds a good edge, I can pry with, filet and butcher with, and general bushcrafting.

What worries me about the Classic "Red Handled" #1 Mora is that as soon as it gets slippery, the risk of sliding into the blade increases dramatically. A more ergonomic handle would solve this.

The plastic grip on the modern Mora's isn't bad, but I like the wooden grips so much more.

Plus I'm also looking for a lanyard hole or lashing holes, which I'm not sure anything but the Lapp-90's has enough shank for.

Anyone modify a classic Mora?

#216876 - 02/11/11 05:45 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
PHeller Offline
Stranger

One knife I did find that is close to the "cheap, durable, and sharp" constraints is the Condor Rodan. It's thick, full shank, under $30, and takes a edge well.

It is not however, a Scandi grind.

#216885 - 02/11/11 06:34 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Personally, I agree that the plastic handles on the modern Moras (actually polypropylene I think) are much better than the traditional ones.

You can buy 5 or 6 inch Mora blades, no handles, and build your own.

But it sounds like you're looking for something that will take more abuse than a Mora.

I haven't had an opportunity to use the Condor knives, but others seem quite taken with them for hard bushcraft-type use. Perhaps the wood-handled Condor Bushlore would be in the ballpark for you.

Some reviews and pics of the Condor Rodan, Bushlore, etc. here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47424

Another hands-on review (with updates from others) from the Zombie Squad folks:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...60&start=24

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/11/11 06:44 PM)

#216888 - 02/11/11 07:18 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
The Becker BK-7 now made by KaBar is another option that is close to that price point that meets your needs other than the scandi grind. An option for the Mora might be to remove the existing handle, purchase your handle material(s) of choice, and design and attach your own handle. I am trying to do this myself with a factory marine combat knife where the leather handle was compromised, subjected to moisture, and subsequently molded. I cut the old leather handle and the pinned metal pommel off, exposing the stick tang. I then traced part of the blade and the tang profile onto some graphing paper and proceeded to design my own handle. Doing it on paper allows you to experiment before making a final decision. I simply decided to emulate the handle design from my cold steel recon tanto. All I have to do now is order the materials needed, trace the handle profile on the micarta slabs I plan to use, cut them to rough shape, trace the tang profile, route out the area for the tang, drill holes for the handle screws, use epoxy to glue it all together, do a final sanding and add the screws after the epoxy dries. Hope this helps.

EDIT - good call by doug on the handleless mora's, didn't know those were available, lots easier than removing an existing handle

Edited by Mark_Frantom (02/11/11 07:23 PM)

#216891 - 02/11/11 08:17 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

#216892 - 02/11/11 08:28 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: Frozen]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I'm really glad you asked that question, mainly because I was about to ask almost the same one but from a different angle. I'm brainstorming some products to develop.

"What would you like to see in a Mora-style knife?"

I can think of a few things:

Full tang (full width as well as length?)
Lanyard hole
Finished spine (some are, some aren't)
Better sheath (but what kind? Kydex? thermoplastic? leather? positive retention strap? friction fit? belt loop, clip, molle?)
Same low price
Same good quality

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#216894 - 02/11/11 09:08 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: thseng]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Other than the reasonable price, I am afraid Blind Horse Knives already beat ya to it:

http://www.blindhorseknives.com/pathfinder.htm

no affiliation of course. How about something along the lines of that plsk1, with the features you mentioned, and a sheath like the one that came with my ontatrio rat 7 (molle compatible with a belt loop, hard plastic liner, and a pouch for a basic survival kit - I may be thinking too low tech with this but I really like this type of sheath at the moment).

#216895 - 02/11/11 09:48 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
PHeller Offline
Stranger

The Blind Horse Knives PLSK1 is just too pricey for what it offers. I might as well go for the cheaper and well proven Fallkniven.

The Frost Mora blanks would be a good option, but you'd also have to factor in costs for rivets or other handle making equipment. However, that'd allow you lots of customization in terms of a handle, and if you broke the knife, you could use the handle on the same Frost Mora blade.

The 5" stainless Frost blade also has enough space for a eyelit through the shank, maybe even multiples.

I may contact Condor Knives about the Mini Bushlore which has a smaller blade similar to the Bushcraft, but a handle design more akin to the full size Bushlore.

In the end, I'm either going to spend money to upgrade a Mora, or spend money to sharpen a Condor.

#216897 - 02/11/11 11:10 PM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not sure how firm you are on using a Mora, however you want to look at either Jantz Supply or knifekits.com for some knife blades. They sell a variety of knife blades to fit any budget and there are several knives that would be more suited then the Mora for prying etc.

I know that a lot of people get too hung up on what steel is better then xx steel. What grind is better then yy grind but if you are going to use the knife as a general all around bushcraft tool/prying bar etc. then you don't need to spend a lot money on the high end materials that may not be any better anyways.

John Lubbock

#216901 - 02/12/11 01:08 AM Re: Making a better Mora [Re: PHeller]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'm sure you've heard of Ragweedforge.com Literally hundreds of selections. I have one of their $40ish knifes, well done. They also have lots of plastic-handled knives.

Another option, since the cheapie mora's have wood handles, is use a narrow saw blade and serrate the handle a little. Would add some friction.

I did a birch bark handle on a 5" blade, not bad, but definetely a rough around the edges knife. Mainly hand tools, took a week or so. You could probably make the knife how you liked, and get one with a big tang to drill through before you attach the handle.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.