Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#214268 - 01/04/11 03:14 PM SPOT Connect
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/spot-connect-brings-gps-tracking-and-communication-to-your-bluet/

"This GPS puck is equipped with a Bluetooth transceiver, enabling it to "sync with smartphone operating systems like Android" when you're too deep in the brush to nab a cellular signal. From there, it'll allow your smartphone to determine location via the Globalstar satellite network, and even transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center. Users can send location-based texts or emails via satellite, update social networks from remote locations, track progress on Google Maps / My Tracks and store up to ten predefined messages for quick referencing and sending."

#214269 - 01/04/11 03:42 PM Re: SPOT Connect [Re: jshannon]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just grabbed a link from gearjunkie.com. I already own a SPOT2, but if this does what it states it could be a huge deal to some people like me.

For example, I geocache. I used my back country GPS for a couple years and had to hook the GPS to my computer, go online to geocaching.com, download the data to my unit, then when done, repeat the steps to update my find status. Last year I downloaded the iPhone geocache app and haven't seen my Delorme since (for geocaching). I can do it all from my iPhone. It may be my most used app. It is so convenient.

I am not shy is professing my sense of security with my SPOT2 and the ability to notify my wife when I am turning around on my hike or that I've made it back to the car or running behind, or that she can follow me online in real time.

SPOT is ABSOLUTELY NOT a gps replacement or phone with signal in the backcountry and should never be treated as such.

#214281 - 01/04/11 05:28 PM Re: SPOT Connect [Re: jshannon]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Very interesting. I love it that the Connect uses AA batteries, which is my standard and what my Garmin GPS and headlamp use.

I must admit to being a little confused at understanding the differences between this new Connect unit and the Spot 2 unit. From what I can tell, the Connect has all the functionality of the Spot 2, but it also allows you to essentially use your phone as a wireless keyboard to send texts/emails through the Connect up to the satellite network. Contrary to some comments I've seen it does not seem like the Connect must have the smartphone on hand to send the basic "emergency!", "need some help" and "I'm OK" messages to the GEOS satellites.

Am I getting this right? If so, wouldn't the Connect essentially make the Spot 2 obsolete? At $169 MRSP, why would anyone buy a Spot 2 over the Connect?

#214294 - 01/04/11 07:45 PM Re: SPOT Connect [Re: jshannon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jshannon
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/spot-connect-brings-gps-tracking-and-communication-to-your-bluet/

"This GPS puck is equipped with a Bluetooth transceiver, enabling it to "sync with smartphone operating systems like Android" when you're too deep in the brush to nab a cellular signal. From there, it'll allow your smartphone to determine location via the Globalstar satellite network, and even transmit that information to personal contacts or an international emergency response center. Users can send location-based texts or emails via satellite, update social networks from remote locations, track progress on Google Maps / My Tracks and store up to ten predefined messages for quick referencing and sending."

Kind of useless anymore, most spartphones have a true GPS so they don't need the cell netwprk to get a gps location, the network is only needed for downloading of maps. Apps like mytracks all work fine. There are multiple apps like backcountry navigator, mapdryod, etc that will let you download and/or cache maps when you have a network signal to be able to have them when you don't.

#214297 - 01/04/11 07:58 PM Re: SPOT Connect [Re: jshannon]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The SPOT2 is great but limited, sort of my point with the geocaching analogy. Before leaving the house you have to go to your online SPOT account and configure your messaging contacts using a singular text message. It doesn't allow multiple messaging options on the spot (no pun intended) or +/- people to contact.

My brief review/hope/understanding is that this iteration will allow you to contact anyone in your phone, or social media and send one of ten preset messages in the queue.

For example. I leave a detailed note to DW regarding my day hike with estimated times to turn around and when back at my jeep. I then send a preset text from my SPOT2 stating, "Heading back." When i get back to my car I send her the same text (b/c I can't change it) and she knows the second text means i am back at my jeep.

A smartphone app would clarify a lot of my actions for contact.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.