The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213590 - 12/24/10 04:49 PM Swine Flu - Round 2
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12075039

Massive spike in critical care Swine Influenza H1N1 cases . It is barely on the international news media radar but now has approximately 4 times more critical care cases than the swine flu outbreak during round 1 in the UK at its peak.

I suspect life is about to get a whole lot more difficult even with the current -20C temperatures this winter.

#213591 - 12/24/10 05:15 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"The total number of cases is in line with what would be expected" - from the cited article

Apparently there has been a drop off in vaccination rates due to the lack of an autumn media campaign.

#213598 - 12/24/10 10:04 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

These issues go in cycles. The media will pick up a story, and every outlet will echo the same basic facts, or fictions. Then comes a great hair-on-fire cry and relization that 'something must be done'. A cry to 'do something', for government to 'do something', for the powers that be to 'do something'.

Then the second wave, a tidal surge of hair-pulling tirades analyzing why 'the people in charge' are not 'doing something. Followed by an extensive commentary about how they are doing 'the wrong thing', and then, just as it starts to fade away, there will be the third wave of 'I told-you-so' where what was done is shown to be useless and, anyway, government/the people in charge, can never get anything right.

And, in the end,inevitably ,each person's favorite people to blame will get blamed for the whole situation.

Simple fact is that H1N1, swine flu, bird flu, West Nile virus are all still out there. Get vaccinated early and often. No, vaccines are not perfect. But until something better comes along they are the best tool we have. Most county health departments will get you vaccinate against a whole host of diseases for cheap. Don't forget to keep your tetanus, and other standards, current.

#213602 - 12/25/10 12:34 AM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
And every flu season fills the hospitals with the very old,the very young, and the immune-compromised-the flu weakens, and the secondary bacterial infection moves in for the kill. can'r fix it with a knife, big pharma is spending it research dollars on anti-depressants and erectile dysfunction drugs rather than newer, better antibiotics, and supportive care can only prolong the demise...and to all a good night.

On the other hand-

May the peace and joy of the sesan remain with you throughout the year...

-Mikey

#213617 - 12/25/10 04:32 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Dare I say it looks like a fairly mild flu season (so far), from the US CDC perspective - http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/. Last year they were tracking much more H1N1 activity, http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2009-2010/weekly50.htm.

Vaccination against the seasonals is still the watchword.

#213625 - 12/25/10 11:27 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I bought tamiflu last year. I don't regret it. Suppose I should buy some masks...

#213629 - 12/26/10 12:23 AM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been vaccinated yearly for the past ten or so years. What is this "flu" you speak of?

#213644 - 12/26/10 06:59 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: hikermor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Apparently there has been a drop off in vaccination rates due to the lack of an autumn media campaign.

I was reading some stats in one of the UK papers about the percentage of people vaccinated this season in the UK, with no public media campagn, versus last year when swine flu fear was high. I was surprised that the percentages were still quite close. They only declined by roughly 5% IIRC.

So, depending if you're a glass half empty or half full kind of person, you could spin that in a number of ways. I'm curious what the percentage was in the year before swine flu. Without more info, one might argue that vaccination rates have remained relatively stable inspite of a lack of a vaccination campaign this year.

Anyway, as is typical with most flu pandemics, this particular strain (i.e. the 2009 H1N1 "swine flu" strain) will likely be the predominant strain for at least a few flu seasons, so it will remain with us for a while. I'm not particularly worried about it, unless it mutates along the way. However, despite what the naysayers may say that it's just another flu, the 2009 H1N1 is different from the typical seasonal flu strain in that it tends to strike younger folks much harder than is typical, and it does infect the deeper lung tissues more readily than is usual. And some older folks will still be somewhat immune compared to younger people due to past H1N1 exposure, so that's one silver lining to this strain.

#213650 - 12/26/10 10:56 PM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: nursemike]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: nursemike
And every flu season fills the hospitals with the very old,the very young, and the immune-compromised-the flu weakens, and the secondary bacterial infection moves in for the kill. can'r fix it with a knife, big pharma is spending it research dollars on anti-depressants and erectile dysfunction drugs rather than newer, better antibiotics, and supportive care can only prolong the demise...and to all a good night.

Unfortunately, economics being what they are, vaccines are not big profit centers for anyone. The economics are all wrong. Spend money developing and testing a vaccine and you still only sell any one person only one dose. Medications that treat chronic conditions, that have to be taken every day, sometimes several times a day, make a lot more money for manufacturers, vendors, and everyone else.

Vaccines are also risky. Spend millions producing a supply and most of it may expire unused if the groundswell of vaccinations doesn't materialize. And, sometimes, in the same year, one batch expires unused and then the public suddenly gets alarmed late in the season. The public blames the evil pharma folks for not producing enough of the vaccine they now clamor for.

Also vaccines have developed their own hate groups and hate industry. There is a core of people making a living riding that hobby horse, raising discord and manufacturing issues. Few other medications have such a long history, over a century, of well entrenched and vocal vehemence and hate.

#213667 - 12/27/10 02:25 AM Re: Swine Flu - Round 2 [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
It's rather confusing to read the British press. The BBC article referenced in the OP says 15% of intensive care beds are filled with flu patients. But another UK paper was reporting that many hospitals' intensive care units are full or almost full with flu patients and quoting doctors who say they haven't seen anything like this in 20 years. ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.