Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#211362 - 11/15/10 06:39 PM Swiss Canteen PSK-part one
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

with canoe tripping season well behind me now i can open for a show and tell the Swiss canteen ditch kit that i carry in my PFD,the red one shown in my avatar.this kit is the only bit of real survival gear i have,with no chance of earthquakes,killer storms and so on around Minneapolis. so what i prepare for is the remote chance that i might loose my canoe and camping gear while solo canoeing in one of the wilderness parks.if i have to swim to shore or fall and injure myself on a portage and not be able to get back to the canoe and the rest of the gear i'll have to make shelter and settle in until someone comes along.yes,a PLB is on my list of thing to buy.i am very careful and in twenty five plus years of doing this have never come close to needing a PSK.i did a post a year of so ago of the kit i was using,a Swiss canteen cup filled with dry food and wrapped in foil and plastic bags.i have been looking around for a better way to do that,something i could seal.a fellow who posts as "woodsmonkey" at a wilderness survival site posted this great idea for using the Swiss canteen and cup.for todays first post i'll show you how i cut the neck off the canteen and did a fire test to see if it would work as a cooking pot.

first i cut the top off,as this is a Swiss kit i thought i would wear my Swiss camo jacket just to get into the swing of things.i put a bit of duct tape around the neck where i wanted to make the cut.a wrap of leather held the canteen in place.
the frame of the hacksaw got in the way as i was just about done but by shifting the canteen i finished the job.a few swipes with a file to take the burs off and then holes for the wire that would make the bail.

next i took a propane torch to the scrap canteen neck to see how the brownish lining would take heat.it took a lot!i had to hold the torch in one spot for minutes to have any effect.

that done i did what was more of a real world test,would it stand up to a open fire and boil water.if you look close at the edge of the canteen you can see it's fairly thick.i boiled away half the can without any problem.
next post i'll show the survival foods and other odds and ends that went inside and how the cup fits over this part to make a sealed kit.

#211370 - 11/15/10 10:25 PM Re: Swiss Canteen PSK-part one [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey CANOEDOGS, I have been waiting for your review on this Swiss Canteen PSK Set-up, looking forward to the full review and your recomendations. Mike

#211416 - 11/16/10 03:07 PM Re: Swiss Canteen PSK-part one [Re: CANOEDOGS]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea, but why not just use a canteen cup? $3-10 on amazon.

#211419 - 11/16/10 03:58 PM Re: Swiss Canteen PSK-part one [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Teacher.hang on,you will see--it's a size issue.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.