Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208671 - 09/29/10 03:01 AM Where's Doug Been
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I don't mean realy. I know he stops by. I just mean I haven't seen alot of reviews lately. We all miss him. he got me to get my kit started. I just wonder if anyone else misses his input.

That's a dumb question, I know we all do. I'm just looking forward to more reviews and miss his participation.

#208675 - 09/29/10 12:10 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Doug spends a majority of his time living out of a suitcase as he travels around the country meeting with government and business leaders. He sends us mods his itinery, it's pretty brutal and doesn't leave much time for this forum. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#208686 - 09/29/10 06:16 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
So what knife does Doug carry in his constant travels? smile

#208687 - 09/29/10 07:10 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: jzmtl]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
So what knife does Doug carry in his constant travels? smile

He's said that he alternates between a Mk.1 and a Sebenza. I'm guessing he checks bags a lot.

#208721 - 09/30/10 02:17 AM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
If you want to see what Doug has been spending a majority of his time on, head over to www.kniferights.org.

On the knife question; when I have traveled with him he has never had one knife with him. Usually he has more then a couple... last time I know he had an Mk1, Mk4 and a Leatherman.

#208735 - 09/30/10 02:24 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

This thread has prompted me to post something that's been on my mind for a while: I think Doug should consider changing the content and format of the equipped.org site completely.

There's no doubt that the core content regarding survival priorities, mindset, attitude, planning etc. are timeless and always applicable. But the pages on gear & equipment are getting quite out of date. When I first stumbled across ETS years ago those pages were current and usable. But today they are really not of use.

I think Doug should consider rearranging the site with the following key focus points:

- the forums (which can also handle the latest whiz-bang topics that are important for a week or 6 months but then not so much)
- Doug's essays & articles on the survival topics that are timeless and not tied to technology
- real-life accounts of ditchings and other survival stories
- selective ETS reviews of survival-specific emerging technology (like PLBs and the SPOT)

I am not saying Doug is a failure or has done anything wrong. I just think that since he is so busy these days, and the technology changes so fast, that he should streamline the site to focus on these core things.

#208736 - 09/30/10 02:37 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
The problem with reorganizing the site is that some of us come back here to look up something that we read once and already have difficulty tracking that down because there's a lot of information here. I would worry that reorganizing would only make that more difficult.

#208738 - 09/30/10 03:31 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Stoney]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
While I love ETS and appreciate all Doug has done to promote survival knowledge and knife rights, the reviews section could use an overhaul. But I realize that takes time and money, two things that are perennially in short supply! grin

#208750 - 09/30/10 05:12 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Stoney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Stoney
The problem with reorganizing the site is that some of us come back here to look up something that we read once and already have difficulty tracking that down because there's a lot of information here. I would worry that reorganizing would only make that more difficult.

Cool links never die... and never should die.

Rearranging the front page of equipped.org to bring it up to speed with Glock-A-Roo's suggestions can be done without moving or deleting any of the "old" material that's being linked to from the main page of equipped.org. Just let the web pages sit there so old bookmarks will continue to work and the links between those pages continue to work. Or you can redirect. Redirection is better than just let stuff disappear, but I much prefer to just let things just linger.

Over time, search engines and peoples bookmarks will point to the refurbished version of equipped.org. Still no reason to let the old material disappear... just don't have any links from equipped.org main page to stuff that's clearly out of date.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/30/10 05:13 PM)

#208755 - 09/30/10 05:58 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: NightHiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
It's not always about equipment either. So what if Doug hasn't reviewed the latest wiz bang gizmo? 99% of survival has to do with the stuff between the ears.

Wesites cost money and are rarely money makers for the owners unless there is a lot of advertising. Doug has his priorities and is putting his time to those. Not my business to harp him on updating his site; there are so many other good sites other there as well that provide information and reviews on equipment and my computer is just as good as the next being able to source those out if I need more information.

That said, I miss seeing Doug's input on the forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.