Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204622 - 07/12/10 08:03 PM The French bivouac knife (French army knife?)
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Lee Valley had a free shipping sale and I was browsing through the pages when this caught my attention, according to LV it’s the standard issue in French infantry, although one French guy on forum claimed it’s not.

LV's description:

"Standard issue in the French Armee de Terre (infantry), this knife is compact and lightweight yet sturdy. The tough ABS body contains a foldout knife, can opener and corkscrew, as well as a spoon and fork that store in the handle. Honed ready for use, the 3-1/2" knife blade is hardened to Rc50-54, holds an edge well, and secures positively with a lock-back mechanism.

"All attachments are stainless steel. Weighing only 138g (5 oz), it is 5-1/2" long by 1-1/4" wide by 1-1/4" thick when assembled. Comes in a nylon sheath with a belt loop and a belt clip. An excellent camping knife.

"Made in France."

The quality is not as well as I had expected, especially consider for the same price ($30) I can get a Victorinox that's much better built, but I suppose those don't come with spoon and fork.

The knife came in a fancy retail packaging.

It has a spoon and a fork, they slide into a holder on either side of the knife, and a nub engages the tip of spoon/fork and hold them in place.

The main blade is quite big, a tad over 3.5" long. Shape is quite similar to Opinel (#6 shown for comparison) in a way, also full flat ground to a very thin edge like Opinel. The actually edge is dull thou, I can drag my finger along the edge and not get cut (again, quite like the factory edge on Opine). I don't know if I'll bother put an edge on it, since the steel is very soft.

The blade is a lock back design, and you can see the raised tab on the lock bar used to unlock the knife. When I first opened it I can feel the "click click click", sort of like what you'd see on an African Okapi knife (or its knock off, the Cold Steel Kudu) where the blade ratchets open, but upon closer inspection it turned out both the tang and lock bar are simply stamped and unfinished.

It also comes with a can/bottle opener and corkscrew. The spoon and fork are quite well sized compare with those come on hobo knives, with proper bend and enough dish to eat soup with. The spoon also has a small slot driver and hex driver build in.

The can opener is interesting, it has a thumbstud, yet it's blocked by the spoon so it can't be opened one handed. It also doesn't grip the rim of a can at all.

But then it dawned upon me, that's not a thumbstud! The shape of the opener would lead to you to think it's used like those found on Victorinox knives, but it not. The opener is used by stab the tip through the can lid, then use the "stud" to lever against rim of the can to cut open the lid from inside. If I hadn't seen a similar one on Wenger before I'd really be stumped. Sneaky French...

It also has a corkscrew, but I don't know how strong it is, since it's attached to the plastic frame by one screw on one side only.

The sheath is made of pretty thin nylon, has a belt loop in the back and a metal clip, thou I don't know what it's used for. I suspect the sheath is some generic type that happens to work, since the fold over flap is barely long enough to engage half of the velcro.

[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3551/85781951.jpg[/img]

All in all, it's a supersized French hobo knife, the near full sized spoon/fork/knife is nice, but you pay for it with size and weight. I think I'll throw it in my lunch kit and use it instead of a regular spoon to see how it works.

Edited by jzmtl (07/12/10 08:30 PM)

#204623 - 07/12/10 08:15 PM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: jzmtl]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

interesting knife, if you get a chance, could you post a photo of how the can opener works? I'm not sure if I grasp the "cut from inside" mental picture.

thanks.

#204625 - 07/12/10 08:31 PM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: horizonseeker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

I've added one to 1st post.

#204627 - 07/12/10 09:26 PM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks, jzmtl,

A most interesting knife. I don't like the hobo knives because so much crud gets down into the body of the knife. The detachable fork and spoon (easily cleaned) is a good idea. Too bad it's not well built and that the steel won't hold and edge well; it's an otherwise good idea. Guess I'll just keep carrying a folder and a separate knife and fork. I liked the fact that it was all in one package.

HJ

#204628 - 07/12/10 09:32 PM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

The fit and finish isn't good, but it's perfectly functional. The steel can't compete with a dedicated knife, but for its intended purpose i.e. food I'd say it's fine, probably hold edge better than most of the stamped steak/paring knives on the market today (I don't think those are even heat treated).

#204638 - 07/13/10 02:07 AM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
A little hard to eat with a "Dual Pro X". wink

HJ

#204646 - 07/13/10 03:03 AM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Looks pretty good to me. It seems like those portions that require fine fit and finish are finished sufficiently. The steel in the places it counts, knife blade and can opener sound like they are good quality and will hold an edge. The spoon and fork can get along with softer, probably more stainless and malleable, stainless steel. The area which get gripped are well finished, smooth, and rounded.

I could see paying $30 for that. With care it seems like it might last a lifetime.

#204648 - 07/13/10 05:03 AM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: Art_in_FL]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Yeah so far it works well, but I guess I'm used to the quality of SAK so this is a little underwhelming. You can find knock offs from China for under $10. I usually say go for the real deal but this time around the real deal isn't exactly high quality so...

I did end up putting an edge on it, pretty quick since it's relatively soft. Found one problem thou, since the blade lacks a kicker the middle part of edge contacts the spring, and will get dull from hitting it.

#204654 - 07/13/10 07:32 AM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: jzmtl]
tranx Offline

Loc: Belgium
The metal hook on the seath looks like the hooks on the army kanteens.
It's used to hook in an army belt full of holes.

You can see a belt on (the only picture I could quickly find on the net):
http://www.psu-shop.nl/epages/61767985.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61767985/Products/0289
Click on the image to enlarge => you can see the holes.
(sorry for the link, can't post images online)

#204675 - 07/13/10 09:01 PM Re: The French bivouac knife (French army knife?) [Re: tranx]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the photo! Now I get it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.