Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204584 - 07/12/10 04:35 AM SPOT rescue in canoe country
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
check out this story at bwca.com
http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction...12&confID=1
a group without any drinking water,they could have had lake water,has a member go down with heat stroke.they hit the SPOT but it's another group of canoe trippers that they meet up with that race out in empty canoes--and more--to get help.
just a couple quick edits..ep is entry points,we talk in terms of ep's to say where we launch the canoes.the sheriff they met would have been on dirt road that twist's and turns around lakes and bogs and not a highway and Ely is a "end of the road town"

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/12/10 04:55 AM)

#204586 - 07/12/10 04:44 AM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Hard to believe there was not one bottle of drinking water in the entire group. What were they thinking?

Either way, hope the guy survives.

#204590 - 07/12/10 06:22 AM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: Mark_M]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
A RANT

A personal pet peeve of mine is in one of the comments under the hyperlink. A guy stating he got heat stroke and recovered sitting under a tree. He didn't have heat stroke, most likely he was dehydrated and most likely heat exhaustion.

I have been diagnosed by doctors with heat stroke 3 times. The first put me in the hospital with a coma and a 106* core temp. The 2nd and 3rd I was in the hospital with IV's for a least a couple days. The 3rd time I also had kidney and liver failure, my heart and lungs seized and I tore a rib trying to breath through the muscle cramps.

Heat stroke kills. So when someone overstates dehydration as heat stroke it frustrates me. I've been way to lucky but I'm also prepared as best I can to hedge my bets, even when I do get dehydrated.

I really hope the guy with the condition made it. He'll never be out without water again, thats for sure.

#204594 - 07/12/10 09:55 AM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: comms]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Curious as to why the sheriff did not know the location of the SPOT transmission? The article said ". He said that he was responding to a 911 from SPOT but had no clue the situation or location of the victim. "

I thought SPOT transmitted a location with its alert. Guess that is another reason I carry a FastFind and not a spot.

Nomad.

#204595 - 07/12/10 10:12 AM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: Nomad]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Nomad
The article said ". He said that he was responding to a 911 from SPOT but had no clue the situation or location of the victim. "

More often than not, media reports will be wrong about some of the details we need to assess what really happened.

Wanna hear my best gut feeling guestimate based on insufficient and inaccurate media reports? [rant] The sheriff did not put much confidence into the location coordinates from SPOT and was in his mind making a "unknown situation in an unknown location" mission plan to deal with it. [/rant]

#204601 - 07/12/10 12:29 PM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink. frown

Who needs a water bottle or some basic vestiges of common sense when you can just push a button and get rescued with a SPOT or PLB. shocked

What is strange is this groups attitude to the surrounding lake and river water. Maybe the term Hyperthermia should be replaced with the words 'crockpot brain'.

Even with the first signs of 'crockpot brain' such as nausea, headache and dizziness, all that was required is to stop and dunk your bare feet in the lake, whilst drinking some Tea whilst sitting under an umbrella.

Did this group even decide to take the 'crockpot brain' victim and dunk him in the lake to rapidly cool him down or did they just stand around wondering if the SPOT 911 button worked saying to each other 'man you don't even have a water bottle...Hey you don't have one either...How are we going to get the lake water over here to cool him down?...HELP..HELP..'

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/12/10 12:42 PM)

#204605 - 07/12/10 02:15 PM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. In the first place they should have had water. Period. Anyone with any experience at all knows that. Second, they should have treated the guy for heat exhaustion/dehydration, but I don't think any of them knew what they were looking at, so they pushed the panic button. I've seen (and had) heat exhaustion before. I have half an idea of what the symptoms look like and what to do. It would appear that they did not. Even the rescuer, "airmorse", incorrectly wrote that immersion in the lake would harm the individual. If the victim were overheating, it would not be harmful. Indeed, it could be a life saver.

HJ

#204610 - 07/12/10 03:47 PM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone use an active solar power cooling solution i.e. such as a 12W Sunlinq flexible solar panel and a 12V fan such as a lightweight 120mm 10W 150CFM computer fan?

i.e. a variation such as shown here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULZgfeYJ4E

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/12/10 03:47 PM)

#204611 - 07/12/10 04:22 PM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

just a couple comments..this is not a media report but a first person account. also folks who don't know about this area have the idea that the water,like the water in their home lakes is not fit to drink.wrong,really wrong,except for some nasty moose bog maybe.
a message here would be to look into some information about the area you will be going into before you go.a quick search of bwca.com or the many other sites about canoe country would have told them that the water is fit to drink,the portages are long and hard and lots of other not only life saving but comfort info.i have never done any hiking out West but i would sure find out out about what to expect before i hit the trail.note that this was a simple problem and not a bear attack,lighting strike,lost or washed overboard.and just as a last thought,some of the tourist brochures make this sound like a place for Boy Scouts and happy fisherman holding up stringers of fish,which it can be,but that land of sky blue waters can turn nasty fast like any of our wilderness parks.i hope it all works out for those canoe trippers.

#204614 - 07/12/10 04:44 PM Re: SPOT rescue in canoe country [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

i was just over at bwca to check for follow up info.the guy was overnite at the local hospital and was still weak but ok when he left.the RN on the rescue plane put ice packs under his armpits and groin to cool him down.another bit of luck was not only the fellows from bwca.com who were there to help but that this lake,Fourtown,is large enough to land a float plane.in a smaller lake or halfway across a portage they may of had to call in a chopper and all the time and hassle that would involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.