The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204078 - 06/29/10 04:25 PM Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I have a couple of poly tarps that REI used to sell that are the lightest poly tarps I've ever been able to find, but I can't seem to find them anymore. The 9'x12' size weighs about 1 lb. 6 oz., and the UPC code is 7 40816 00003 9.

Does anybody know where I can get something similar? These tarps are at least half the weight of anything else I've found, and are quite strong for their weight. I've got two 9'x12' tarps left, and one 8'x10' that I use regularly, but I really want to be able to get more. I just can't see spending 100 USD on a sil-nylon tarp.

Edited by amper (06/29/10 06:15 PM)
Edit Reason: picture too big, sorry about that

#204092 - 06/30/10 12:32 AM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: amper]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If you know the thickness and weave count it might be easier to find. An 8x8 weave per square inch with an 8 mil. thickness would be light in my book, but that's usually billed as a middle weight. You can get 8x8 with 5 mil. thickness in the blue tarp range.

Anyway, search by weave and thickness if you know the stats on what you have now and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

#204093 - 06/30/10 12:46 AM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: Nicodemus]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Oops, I forgot to continue...

Judging by the weight and size you gave you probably have something like an 8x8 weave with a 5 mil. thickness.

#204097 - 06/30/10 11:47 AM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: Nicodemus]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Northern Tool carries several different kinds of tarps. We have them locally but they do have a web site. They just might have what you're looking for.

#204104 - 06/30/10 03:11 PM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: pezhead]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Wish I could help you find them. On a general note, when I find something like that and I find that it's a good product, I usually go back and buy as many as I can find for this very reason. I've been in your shoes too often--wishing I had bought more.

Good luck in your search!

#204106 - 06/30/10 04:03 PM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: amper]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If your handy with a sewing machine you can make your own high specification Tarp exactly to your own requirements and design.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Hardwa...nd-UV-Treatment

An approx 10'x12' tarp material cost at $8.99/yard would cost $72 + shipping and weigh around 25oz or about 1lb 9oz. Using this rip stop material the tarp would be a lot stronger and more durable than any lightweight polypropylene tarp.

Goretex 3 layer ripstop can also be used but is heavier and twice the cost but because the material is breathable can be used as an improvised ground sheet bivi or blanket or even as a single layer enclosed tarptent design.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Hardwa...n-Charcoal-Grey

Were the REI polytaps ripstop and UV protected materials.

#204108 - 06/30/10 04:28 PM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I actually emailed REI about this, and they responded by directing me to something from Outdoor Products. NOT what I was looking for.

In any case, here's a couple of pictures of my 8x10 set up in what is basically the "Holden" configuration from the tarp PDF here. This is my favorite tarp configuration. The 8x10 doesn't have grommets at the middle of the long side, so I use a couple of plastic tarp clips to hold it up. The 9x12 has center grommets, but you need to raise the peak to about 6' in order to be able to close the wings fully. In the photo, the peak is at about 4.5'.

I like to use this setup for ARRL Field Day, along with my Byer Allagash cot, which fits underneath nicely. Since Field Day essentially means car camping, I can easily carry the cot (and a self-inflating mattress...very comfy).

The light green color is so much more pleasant than the typical blue tarp, and blends into the scenery better, as well.

#204137 - 07/01/10 04:56 AM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: amper]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
How about a nylon tarp see here. Campmor

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#204138 - 07/01/10 06:37 AM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: leemann]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Have you thought about Tyvek.
Most of us just know it as the hard stuff used on buildings or in mailing envelopes but they make it in garment and foodsafe grades too.
Dupont even markets it in camo colours.

While I dislike the white housewrap with printing the cost is hard to beat.
You can soften it by running it through the laundry but other than painting it I don't know any easy way to change the colour.

A 10foot by 110 foot roll of tyvek housewrap seems to sell for about $120.00 (slightly over $1.00 a running foot).
You should be able to get some pretty cheap from a contractor.
They often end up with partial rolls.

#204142 - 07/01/10 02:15 PM Re: Trying to source really lt. wt. green poly tarp [Re: chickenlittle]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Green_Poly_Tarps.html

Good for the money, and about the weight you are looking for, maybe a tad heavier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.