Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#203769 - 06/21/10 08:43 PM Another reason to maintain the car .
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There are all sorts of reasons to keep your vehicle in good repair and well maintained. A well maintained vehicle is safer to drive and more likely to stay under your control. It is less likely to quit at a critical time and leave you stranded. It is more likely to be ready to go when the getting is good and to be able to haul you and yours out of trouble.

It is also less likely to make you sick.
http://scienceblogs.com/thepumphandle/2010/06/legionnaires_disease_linked_wi.php

This is also one of those stories that makes everyone a little bit paranoid. The revelation that your vehicle can make you sick in subtle ways, ways you might not have expected, should remind everyone that we are all vulnerable. That no matter how hard you try there is something you haven't planned for. That while everyone here might run out and refresh their windshield washer tank there are always going to be things we have overlooked.

Keep well and maintain your vehicles. They may save your life. And certainly make life easier. But be aware that you can't know it all, or do it all. That safety is mostly a matter of statistics. That you can shift odds in your favor but you're never going to be absolutely safe. There are always going to be hidden hazards. Like legionnaires from you windshield washer tank. Who knew?

#203786 - 06/22/10 04:38 AM Re: Another reason to maintain the car . [Re: Art_in_FL]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Just for a bit of clarification, I think they mean ( fluid tank full of WATER only). They can't be talking about WIPER FLUID which contains ammonia and methanol. (yikes) what kind of bacteria can live in there ??

#203789 - 06/22/10 09:16 AM Re: Another reason to maintain the car . [Re: Chisel]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Yep, it is written plainly in the article.

Originally Posted By: Scienceblog

It appears that the Legionella bacteria (Legionella pneumophila) can thrive in the warmed water that is held for the windshield washer system

snip...

Originally Posted By: Scienceblog

The chemicals that are often added to wiper fluid to improve cleaning appear to be sufficient to prevent growth or survival of the bacteria.

Technically I could use only plain water in the summer - but why on earth would I do that? Wiper fluid is all-season stuff. All season stuff means one thing less to worry about...

And let's not ignore the fact that wiper fluid does a much better job.

#203809 - 06/23/10 12:23 AM Re: Another reason to maintain the car . [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Lots of people in warm climates use plain water in their washer tanks. Saves a little money. Then again I've seen people forget to add the chemicals and the tank freezes up. Sometimes ruptures. Used to be A common practice in Florida for people to use plain water all year but to run out before a hard freeze and add a little alcohol to the tank.

Not mentioned in the article there is some thought that the evaporator can support legionella bacteria if the drain is plugged. Fact being that most cases of legionnaire's disease have been associated with evaporator drain pans and cooling sprays on buildings. the thought is that similar conditions could be present in the AC system of a car if the drain isn't clear. Nothing like stagnant fresh water kept warm to breed critters.

#203824 - 06/23/10 12:25 PM Re: Another reason to maintain the car . [Re: Art_in_FL]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Yeah - here in New England I always use something good to -25 - sure I could use water in June through August but then I'd have to remember to fix it. I just found some stuff recently that is supposedly good for ice and bugs! We'll see how that works out...

#203896 - 06/24/10 04:13 PM Re: Another reason to maintain the car . [Re: roberttheiii]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I knew someday my car would try to kill me. I just knew it...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.