Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#198130 - 03/16/10 03:55 PM Birthday Decision - Please help!
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Greetings from Oklahoma -

Not a regular poster on the site, but this occasion has brought me out.

My Birthday is this week, and I have $100. I need a knife. I know there is no "perfect" choice here, but I would be curious to know what others would purchase were they in my shoes.

I hunt, camp, fish, hike. I'm not locked in to any brand, or style, but Becker's and Benchmades seem to be good. This knife would serve multiple purposes. Can you have a pocket folder that you can use to baton with?

Just curious what others would purchase as a survival, all around knife selection in the $100 range.

I await the outpouring of knowledge. I know we have seen this question many times, but I trust folks here and really don't want to venture into other websites.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#198131 - 03/16/10 04:38 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Hghvlocity]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I really like my Benchmade Model 550HG Griptilian - designed by Mel Pardue non-serrated.

#198133 - 03/16/10 04:40 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Todd W]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Yes, I have wanted one for a long time, and I was just about to pull the trigger when I thought I would get some other opinions.

Have you ever batoned with it? Just curious if it would hold up if necessary.

Thanks for the response.

#198137 - 03/16/10 06:03 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Hghvlocity]
TomSwango Offline
Journeyman

For a fixed blade I would suggest the spyderco bushcraft 2nd for $90.00 including shipping.

For a fixed blade benchmade griptilian in D2

#198139 - 03/16/10 07:08 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: TomSwango]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
If you're good at finding discount, the Fällkniven F1 can sometimes be found in vicinity of $100. Such as here:
http://www.oregonknifeshop.com/fallkniven-f1-knife.html
Usually retails about $150 or so.

I'm drooling over one of these, but right now our budget has very limited room for new shiny gear.

It is issued as standard survival knife for Swedish pilots. More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A4llkniven

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/16/10 07:11 PM)

#198143 - 03/16/10 07:37 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: MostlyHarmless]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Happy Early Birthday! Mine was yesterday! I got $65 and bought a SOG Power Lock. I wrote a review on it and I like it but according to IZZY its assembled in america of mexican made parts! I will return it if I have any problems!

#198149 - 03/16/10 08:14 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: sybert777]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'd say grap a decent Mora knife as a fixed blade - can be had around $10 for the cheaper model, and up to $40 for the pricier models, depending where you shop and such (Ragweed forge is popular, but also Sportsmans Guide have them). With the left over, get a decent folder. SAK, Benchmade, Spyderco and Kershaw all make decent folders in the $50ish range.

If you can find an online store that sells both, you might save the seperate shipping.

#198170 - 03/16/10 11:25 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wouldn't worry about batoning. It is just a way applying excessive force to a tool. The vast majority of, if not all, practical tasks required for survival can be done without pounding on an knife.

A person can easily skin and butcher any animal with a tiny blade. Which is why scalpel and razor blades have utility and usefully make their way into survial kits.

Our ancestors often used stone blades that were seldom more than the size of a thumbnail to butcher animals much larger than anything your likely to encounter. Larger stone blades cleaved fine to cut smoothly tend to break. Modern game guides, who end up doing the skinning and butchering while "great hunter", the guy who wears the funny hat and pays, drinks beer and shoots the breeze, are seldom seen to use anything with a blade more than three or four inches long. If they use a longer blade they 'choke-up' on it to gain leverage and control.

It is possible to use something as unwieldy as a yard-long machete to do fine work by choking up on the blade but then the weight of the handle is working against you. Machete users will do fine work by resting the weight of the handle on their lap as they work with the fine tip of the blade.

Batoning is largely an exercise in impatience and a way for guys who favor big knifes, what they are compensating for is anyone's guess, to justify carrying the extra weight and bulk of an over-sized knife. I think it gets overlooked that Crocodile Dundee and Rambo were caricatures and their over-sized knives were part of the joke. It looks all woodsy and manly to be whacking a great wedge of steel through stuff with a club, and it makes a great video and advertising, but the actual utility is quite limited.

The attitude seems to be: 'Look at me. I'm splitting shingles'. Which is fine if you need shingles but most of these guys have no way to cut the log to split and no survival use for the shingles and split wood manufactured. If they do they are not in a survival situation; they are homesteading. If you want to homestead bring a saw and pack an axe and/or a froe. All very useful in that context.

Point here is that smaller is functional for most real-life and survival uses. You say you "hunt, camp, fish, hike", which is good but the question is how often do you spend doing those things. Most of us don't spend much time out in the woods no matter how much we want to spend more. Nothing wrong with getting a knife that only gets carried when your out hiking. Some knives, like the fillet knife in the fishing kit, only get used once in a great while.

The question is what role do you want this knife to fill. If your planning on carrying it every, or most, days a mid-size folder with about a 3" blade is going to hang on your belt or ride in a pocket more comfortably and attract less unwanted attention. DR/ETS sells a couple of very nice folders that fit the bill. I really like the RSK Mk1 and if I didn't EDC a multitool it would be high on the list.

If your more a handyman, and don't feel limited by a slim 3" blade, there are many multitools that work well. I like the Leatherman Wave (about $75) and carry one daily.

If your willing to only carry it in or near the woods larger folders and fixed blade knives are better tolerated in that context. The RSK Mk3 is nice and I like its simplicity:
http://www.equipped.org/rsk_mk3.htm

Becker makes a line of bloody huge knives but the smaller end of their line with a 4" blade, used to be called a 'crewman', also gets a nod for reasonably prices fixed blade knifes straight up.

If you want to make a statement and gain bragging rights the sky it the limit.

Hint: Anyone shopping for a knife, or anyone who might be anytime soon, or anyone who is interested in knives generally, could do worse than starting by reading this:
http://www.equipped.org/devices4.htm

A lot of good information though out and well presented. I don't necessarily agree with every point but the basics are good and pretty much all the available options are covered.

#198174 - 03/16/10 11:48 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Hghvlocity]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Helle Odel or

The Fallkniven Mod F1 is also recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVzMYHrPeA

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/16/10 11:50 PM)

#198176 - 03/16/10 11:59 PM Re: Birthday Decision - Please help! [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Batoning, IMO, will break any folder, and most fixed blade knives eventually. It's a technique that has to be done correctly and should be only be used in a survival situation with smaller diameter wood. Without reservation, I recommend the Leatherman Wave or the Supertool 200 for the purposes you listed (except batoning). I carry one at all times when I'm not working, and I find a use for it every day. Take a look at this before deciding........ http://www.barkriverknives.com/docs/batoning.pdf

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 331 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.