Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197817 - 03/12/10 04:41 AM Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts?
Topaz Offline
K
Stranger

Loc: Newport News, Virginia
http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/new.htm

When I first came to the ETS site, I checked out all the different personal survival kits Doug Ritter reviewed. After I saw the Ranger Rick necklace kit, I checked out the site (Survival Outdoor Skills), and found he had other kits based on the necklace. Anyone have experiance with any of these kits?

He has an idea for a survival kit, the shoulder/belt/neck kit seems to be pretty good, if the picture of Mykel Hawke didn't sell it. I kinda thought the roman candle was a interesting choice, would it be real that useful for night-time signaling. You would only have a few shots at being seen. Same with the toy punching ballon, another interesing choice. The compass, whistle, mag firesteel and BCB wiresaw look top quality. Any thought on it?

Edited by Topaz (03/12/10 06:32 AM)

#197819 - 03/12/10 05:16 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I like where it says - survival whistle, "any type will do"

No Ranger Rick, Any type won't do.

A toy punching balloon ? Yeah............

Don't really know what to say that won't come across as being a smart*ss. I can think of many things that the space would be better used to fill in a survival kit.

A roman candle ?

Broken or wet in ten minutes flat. If you are going to put flares in your kit they may as well be good ones. The plus side is that this comes with three !!! (yes, 3) whole matches. Now you don't ever need to worry about your matches running out. (they are not water/wind proof matches either)

Small Compass - General direction type.

Why, is there another type of compass out there ? Here I was assuming they all gave directions. Wouldn't be much use otherwise. I would rather a compass that gives actual directions over "general" ones.

"Yeah, North is somewhere over that way."

..."And if necessary, you can remove it in a survival situation to make yourself a “fire bow” or a “hunting bow.” Smart, huh?"

I challenge anyone here to make a hunting bow using paracord and actually make it work. Personally I think this dude is a complete and utter idiot. Save your money and make your own kit. "smart, Huh?"

Edited by Mac (03/12/10 05:24 AM)

#197821 - 03/12/10 05:58 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mac]
Topaz Offline
K
Stranger

Loc: Newport News, Virginia
Some of the items do have questionable usefulness, but generally it looks good. The whistle is the ACME Tornado, IIRC.

#197824 - 03/12/10 07:27 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Don't bother.
The whistle ok.
The knife is complete pant's.
You don't want to know about the compass.

At the risk of sounding like I am sucking up to Doug:

Buy yourself the RSK, add a disposable poncho, a butane lighter, a few puri-tabs, a couple of freezer bags, some cordage and a Swiss Army knife (with saw). If you want to go for around the neck/body carry, buy yourself one of these neck wallets they sell to tourist's. Works just as well.

Addendium: He has been barred from this site. For good reason's that have nothing to do with him selling survival products.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (03/12/10 07:28 AM)
Edit Reason: Addendium

#197838 - 03/12/10 02:22 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Make Doug's kit your first one.

Then you can get one of Rick's, if you want to, for comparison.

I came into possession of his lanyard kit, and while the items aren't bad, Doug's are far superior.

I put the whistle and the light into my EDC for casual use, and the rest went into a drawer.

#197841 - 03/12/10 02:41 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Compugeek]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Underwhelmed by that. I think Ranger Rick has some good ideas, but not impressed by the execution, not some of the posts I've seen him put up on t'internet.

Dougs kit plus knife, light and space blanket = great base kit that will drop in a pocket, and you can rely on the components. Use it as a start and then build your own kit - great way to think about the scenarios you'll face.

#197842 - 03/12/10 03:12 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: bigreddog]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I cannot add much to what has been said. I will point out I think some of the silliness (like the toy balloon) is as much about marketing as anything else.

I wrote an essay for my blog (such as it is) not long ago regarding personal survival kits. I am not a huge fan of such things simply because of the extreme limitations they have. But, if it comes down to something versus nothing, something is usually better.

This particular personal kit is more gimmicky than most, making it even more suspect in my mind.

Bob

#197850 - 03/12/10 04:54 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've had a couple of online interactions with him, and he was polite in all of them. In face, a few years back he sent me his one-hand firestarder (the shortened lighter) and the mini mag-bar to try out. I did so, and wrote a brief review here on ETS (as was the condition to try them).

I can't recall buying his stuff, but like others have said, he does have some good ideas. As well as some very strong opinions.

And, yes, he was banned from ETS.

#197858 - 03/12/10 05:53 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
His store website includes an extended rant against survival forums, especially moderators and others who post to excess, in his view.

Weird, especially considering that survival forums should be the prime referral of business for his products.

His is one website I certainly won't be bookmarking.

http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/survival_forums.htm

What Do I Think of Survival Forums?

#197861 - 03/12/10 06:05 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Dagny]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Wow, what a knob...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.