Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#194780 - 02/01/10 04:56 AM How Not To Get Trampled
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Humans, in general, are a source of mixed feelings. The source much joy and happiness but in numbers our fellows can be the source of great danger. Even a happy, friendly crowd can cause harm.

http://www.slate.com/id/2209135/

No need to avoid crowds in general. The experience of being in a crowd at an inspiring event can be very gratifying and should not be missed. But while your enjoying yourself you can lower the odds of being involved in an accident by staying alert to the signs of potential danger and know when and how to extract yourself.

Get involved. Participate. It is your right, perhaps your duty, to be engaged in public life and politics. Just stay aware of the potential for danger and act accordingly.

#194813 - 02/01/10 04:08 PM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: Art_in_FL]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Great post. I take this a step further and always try to plan where I sit when in a restaurant, pay attention to exits when in a mall, etc. After the shooting we had at the Trolley Square Mall here in Salt Lake City, being able to orient yourself could potentially be a life-saver. I don't spend an inordinate amount of time on this, but I do keep it in mind when in public.

#194941 - 02/02/10 07:18 AM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: Still_Alive]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Don't go with the flow"???

Obviously this person has never been in a crowd of the type she's describing.

This article reeks of someone who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about, and what they're providing just sounds good.

Sue

#194980 - 02/02/10 04:36 PM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: Susan]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

The Survival Book, by Anthony Greenbank, recently reissued has a section on this issue. There's a drawing showing how to position your arms and lift your legs to avoid falling under the surging crowd. It works. Many years ago I was in Times Square for New year's Eve. Crowd got a bit dense and was moving. Just for the heck of it, I briefly bent my arms, stuck out my elbows and lifted my feet. I was held-up by the crowd and even moved with it for a very short time. I was impressed enough with this experience to remember it for the last 40+ years.

#195009 - 02/02/10 11:49 PM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
"Don't go with the flow"???
Obviously this person has never been in a crowd of the type she's describing.
This article reeks of someone who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about, and what they're providing just sounds good.
Sue

They don't say to stop in or to move counter to a crowd that is moving. Instead is tells you to:
Quote:
Wait until the crowd stops moving and then inch your way sideways and backward, zigzagging to safety. Just as you might swim back to shore in the ocean, try to navigate during the pause between waves

The article is clearly citing:
Quote:
Explainer thanks traffic engineer John J. Fruin and G. Keith Still of Crowd Dynamics Ltd.

One has to wonder what sources you are citing. If its personal experience and anecdotal evidence I would note that the information provide works, works well and is, based on my personal experience in crowds, accurate. If you have more authoritative sources you can cite or think that the author misunderstood the sources I would ask that you present your argument.

#195089 - 02/04/10 03:51 PM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: Art_in_FL]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

I think don't go with the flow is spot on. What she is saying is read the crowd stay on the edge and slide out asap when needed.

This is sound advice in any type crowd . I have a 30 minute cd of a 100 folks burning to death at the Great White concert fire. They ALL went towards the one door they came in through. Would have been simple to go against or to the side of the flow and popped out a side door . Personally I've been doing this sort of thing for years. At a hockey game sitting in the third level everyone leaves by going down to the first then shuffle along to the one door they all came in on the first floor.

We go UP nobody in the halls up their then go opposite direction from main door, as any exit can be used.

#195092 - 02/04/10 04:21 PM Re: How Not To Get Trampled [Re: THIRDPIG]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I have witnessed a stampeding crowd pile up at a closed gate, leaving more than 40 dead. No one was trampled, they suffocated due to the compression on their chest exerted by the crowd. IMHO there's no way to be safe in a crowd, so I avoid them - always - never mind what I'm missing, I rather watch football on TV than go the stadium.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.