Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#187547 - 11/05/09 01:17 PM Wilderness survival kit
litlefoot01 Offline

Loc: NY
I wold like to make a good survival kit to take with me on day
hikes. I do not like pree made kits so if you cold tell me
whats in yours I think that will help thanks.

litlefoot01
See you out on the trail.

#187548 - 11/05/09 01:49 PM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: litlefoot01]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Here is a link to ETS with a list of several of Doug's kits

Here is another link explaining why some of those items are important.

It's really to each their own but if you look at those then you should be able to (based on your needs) figure out what you want to add or not include.

#187552 - 11/05/09 02:39 PM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: T_Co]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Hi, good to hear you want to add a survival kit!

There is a "search" button above (in the right part of the screen). Hit it, and enter survival kit in the box that appears. You will find about 200 hits, starting with the most recent discussions...

Or use google, adding site:equipped.org to the search string:
http://www.google.no/search?q=%22wilderness+survival+kit%22+site%3Aequipped.org

You may also replace "wilderness" with "outdoors"... Feel free to ask for clarification smile

In general, I struggle with how I can adapt the "survival kit" idea because when I venture outdoors I have always brought what I consider appropriate equipment for the season and climate.

Bare minimum: Good clothing for the season, bivy bag, knife, fire starters. Usually also a tiny flashlight on my keys and a cell phone. A whistle, some strings and stuff is usually to be found at my jacket, in my pack and in various pockets.

To this I add navigation (map+compass+GPS), extra clothing and more equipment as I deem necessary and appropriate.

There is always room for improvement! While I feel I usually m adequately equipped outdoors, I am in the process of composing a small kit. It will be a backup for my regular equipment and also serve as a quality assurance that I don't forget the most vital parts. It will also cover the basis for field expedients repair, fixing and modification (needles, thin thread, para chord, few zip ties, duct tape). And last but not least - I will be able to bring it with me if I leave my pack behind.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/05/09 02:39 PM)

#187601 - 11/05/09 09:24 PM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: MostlyHarmless]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Carry a poncho or a space blanket to use in case of bad weather, injuries or as shelter. Maintaining the body's temperature is your first priority (after treating casualties of course).

#187613 - 11/05/09 10:23 PM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: gonewiththewind]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

another good place to start is the "ten essentials." A search will give several lists, many of them different.

welcome,

Teacher

some kit suggestions...
ten essentials #1
ten essentials #2

Edited by TeacherRO (11/05/09 10:38 PM)

#187617 - 11/05/09 10:45 PM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
lol. I was just holding my EDC container this morning and thinking I need to catalog everything and readdress the season. Of course it was 95* today so FWIW.

I am always surprised at what goes missing from my kit b/c I use it so often. Where is my whistle?

#187633 - 11/06/09 01:31 AM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: litlefoot01]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I just noticed your location as NY - hello fellow NY resident!

NY DEC, which includes the NY forest rangers, has suggestions on what to take on a hike suitable for this area.

It's the "hiking safety" page, with a link to a PDF document called "lost in the woods", which is about how to prepare yourself not to be lost, what to take with you, and what to do if you are lost. Link:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28708.html

#187648 - 11/06/09 02:54 AM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

I like what Tony Nester said. "I am a real fan of making your own survival kit. This is the essence of self-reliance and with this approach, you know what's going into your kit, how it works, and that it is tailored to fit you."

As I have said many times, Doug's Pocket Survival Pack is a work of genius. That said, I believe you, the owner of your own Pocket Survival Pack, need to modify the kit to fit your needs.

Jeanette Isabelle

#187654 - 11/06/09 03:49 AM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
This is my take on "survival kits"

80% of it depends on your geography.
20% of it depends on your ability and your comfort level.

What I carry is probably not what you would carry, or should. Just my 2 cents on this subject......

#187669 - 11/06/09 07:05 AM Re: Wilderness survival kit [Re: litlefoot01]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

first question is what do you expect to survive?.just somewhat lost and a nite in the woods or a fall and a busted leg?
next a survival kit is not a kit bag that you would dip into for matches or cord but something that would remained sealed and put away until really needed.i assume your in Up State NY which i know well so i would say think,fire-food-shelter.
the photo is a copy of the kit i made in Scouts when i lived in NY in the 50's,some of the stuff is from that kit.i show it just as a starting point.the matches and fire lighters are the main items,everything else is gravy,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.