Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#185910 - 10/19/09 11:49 PM Doug's PSP copy kit
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Found a VERY SIMILAR kit called the NPSK-24010 Neck Pouch Survival Kit. Looks like other than changing a few items colors the only difference is the mini saw, straight edge blade, and some tape. One thing I did like was the metal sparklite. Just curious who's kit came out first.

Edited by T_Co (10/19/09 11:51 PM)

#185917 - 10/20/09 12:27 AM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: T_Co]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
Doug's came out first. I frequent that site pretty often to see what new little gizmo's have been added.

#185921 - 10/20/09 01:16 AM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: Matt]
T_Co Offline

If you wanna build a KIT you could sure have fun there. Stumbled across it a while ago and forgot about it until someone here pointed it out.

#185923 - 10/20/09 02:44 AM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: T_Co]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The PSP has duct tape, and more of it. This stuff is hi-viz, but most colored duct tape isn't as sticky.

Neither the PSP nor McCann's copy have a metal sparklite.

Both have an orange plastic sparklite. They also look to have the same button compass, same tinderquiks (to be fair, John has more), same frensel, same pencil, same paper. Yellow vs orange Fox 40 Micro's- big deal, still don't like a whistle you have to "toot" rather than just "BLOW" into.

John's has the little mirror from the SOL, which I like except for the lack of directions on it, but it isn't as good as the larger one the basis that bigger is better with mirrors. AMK REALLY needs to get directions on these little guys, a signal mirror is NOT instinctive to use.

John's tool set and fishing kit are better (or at least larger) than Doug's, but the safety pins look kinda punk. Can't see the sewing needle to judge. I don't think he gives you as much line as you get in the PSP. And yes, while Doug gives you a length of cordage on par with a core line, John gives you a whole whomping THREE FEET of 550 line. Color me impressed. :P

Doug's has the aluminum foil. Even if it kinda iffy for water containers, for a fire base when the ground is wet or under a bow drill, or as a wind break, or for wrapping tinder in to keep it dry... yeah, one thing, one hundred uses, mostly having to do with fire.

Both good kits. Doug did his first, by quite a few years, and at a better price. John McCann's kit and the SOL are the only two commercial kits that I've seen that I think give the PSP some serious competition, and the PSP and the SOL are the only two that are available through regular retail channels. And honestly, the SOL isn't in quite the same niche as the Ritter/AMK PSP and the McCann PTSK, due to being targeted towards a slightly different class of user (I say this because of the matches and the heatsheet).

Now, the shootout I'd like to see is McCann's PTSK-plus pouch, the one with his pocket tin (this thing) and add ons, vs the SOL3. Alas, Doug hasn't developed something in that category. *hint-nudge-wink*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#185929 - 10/20/09 03:38 AM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: ironraven]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I just placed an order.

ETS is costing me this week.

#185940 - 10/20/09 10:40 AM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: T_Co]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Found a VERY SIMILAR kit called the NPSK-24010 Neck Pouch Survival Kit. Looks like other than changing a few items colors the only difference is the mini saw, straight edge blade, and some tape. One thing I did like was the metal sparklite. Just curious who's kit came out first.

That a much more serious competitor than the lifeline kit. I have both the Derma-shave razor and the saw. For what they are, they are extremely effective tools. Apart from the lack of a water purifying component (you could use the pouch itself or a nonlubricated condom and tablets one supposes)there is very little to fault.

Mirror's a little small but that's surely a question about line of sight distances more than anything else?

Perhaps Be Prepared To Survive might consider printing instructions for the mirror?

#185966 - 10/20/09 04:41 PM Re: Doug's PSP copy kit [Re: ]
T_Co Offline

In all fairness to them though they dont act like theirs is the best and only. If your under the survival kit category and scroll all the way down the PSP is on their site as well.

Ironraven--- you are correct. Plastic sparklite on both high vis and subdued kit. Guess in my excitement assumed (I know..) that it would be the aluminum version as that would be a very quick way to trump the PSP and also justify the higher cost of their kit.

Edited by T_Co (10/20/09 04:45 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.