Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#184180 - 10/03/09 06:40 PM Ammo Question
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I was just wondering if there might be anything wrong with storing your ammunition on the inside of those clear plastic "zip lock" sandwich bags ? It will definitely keep the water out, but do you suppose that it could also have the unwanted residual effect of causing damage to the ammo, say by causing the said ammo to "sweat?"

#184181 - 10/03/09 06:42 PM Re: Ammo Question [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
It is not a problem. If you are still concerned, get some of those silica desiccant packs and throw in.

RIP OBG

#184192 - 10/03/09 11:01 PM Re: Ammo Question [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Should be fine... but is it for long term storage or in your pocket or in your vehicle or what?

There most likely is a better solution.

#184193 - 10/03/09 11:04 PM Re: Ammo Question [Re: Todd W]
Kingarthur Offline

Loc: Texas
I have found the most common usage for this, if if I have extra rounds that just a waste of their original container. I have used them years later without any issues. The worst thing you can do with ammo is to get them wet. Remember the old addage "keep your power dry". There is a reason for that.

#184196 - 10/04/09 12:18 AM Re: Ammo Question [Re: Kingarthur]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Opened ammo does not last a month here, let alone a year... YIKES!!

I have boxes that are unopened and years old but not opened!! HEHE

#184205 - 10/04/09 02:23 AM Re: Ammo Question [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Those ziplock baggies might keep off a light spray of water, but they won't survive a dunking. They also rip and develop holes at the drop of a hat. Putting something heavy like ammo in them will just cause more abrasive wear and punctures. It won't hurt if you use them, but it won't help much either.

Get some real ammo boxes, even cheap ones, and add some desicant in there if you're in a humid area.

#184215 - 10/04/09 03:38 AM Re: Ammo Question [Re: Todd W]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Geez Todd, what are you doing that your opened ammo doesn't last a month? It's not like the ammo is wrapped in plastic inside the box before you open it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with keeping it in a ziplock bag except maybe durability. A lot of military ammo around the world is stored in cans or heavy plastic "battle packs". I can't think of opening one yet that had dessicant packs in it.

I've got a heat sealer and a few thousand 3x5 4 mil bags. At first I just heat sealed a bunch of ammo for longer term storage. It turned out to be so convenient that now I heat seal all my ammo, new and reloads. The 3x5 turned out to be perfect. They'll hold (20) 5.56, (10) .308, (5) 12 gauge, and a plethora of other calibers. The convenience is great, I can throw a few packs in my pockets and go shooting. Never have to worry about sweat or dirt. The smaller size of the bags means I don't have a bunch of loose ammo left over when I'm finished. And the bags are TOUGH. I haven't worn holes in them while carrying them in my pockets all day. If there is a problem, it's that I have a hard time tearing them open.

Edited by lukus (10/04/09 03:42 AM)

#184223 - 10/04/09 10:53 AM Re: Ammo Question [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
You got ammo? That's great!

Anyhoo, we sometimes store our IDPA ammo in Ziplock bags with no issues. Can't say we keep it there for very long or in adverse weather conditions, but for 8 months at least.

Ziplock Freezer bags are pretty strong things. I think you will be fine under several conditions.

Michael

#184233 - 10/04/09 01:34 PM Re: Ammo Question [Re: lukus]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: lukus
Geez Todd, what are you doing that your opened ammo doesn't last a month? It's not like the ammo is wrapped in plastic inside the box before you open it.

It is likely for the same reason beer never lasts around here once you open the case.
He he he.

I have had ammo sitting around for years. Some of the casings were even turning green. It still went bang and grouped well on the range.

I have also read stuff from manufacturers that said ammo would go bad and not shoot well after a year in storage, and that it didn't matter how it was stored.

Ammo sweats?
If you mean condensation my rifle shells used to do that every time I came into the house after hunting in the winter.
Just empty the magazine out before you go inside, hang the shell belt up, and the frost that condensed on them soon dries off.

It was the condensation on the rifle and scope that used to worry me more.

Edited by scafool (10/04/09 03:19 PM)

#184245 - 10/04/09 03:44 PM Re: Ammo Question [Re: lukus]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: lukus
<snip> If there is a problem, it's that I have a hard time tearing them open.
I have no personal experience with home heat-sealed bags, so this may be an incredibly stupid idea:

Would making a small vertical slit above the seal make it easier to tear the bag open?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.