The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#183241 - 09/26/09 02:45 PM sleeping bag storage in car
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
I keep a sleeping bag in my van (or two if traveling long distance with my wife). Since I use a wheelchair, my van is my plan if I get stranded; meaning, I plan on staying with it until the cavalry arrives. Currently I have a cheap Coleman that isn't very warm ... pretty much an indoor bag. It gets cold in NE Ohio so I'm looking to upgrade. I have very little camping experience but I've read that both down and synthetic bags should only be stored compressed for short periods of time because they'll lose their loft and, thus, some warmth. I'm only interested in a synthetic bag and I would compress it to fit in my mini-van with all my other stuff.

Any advice on the type of synthetic bag or long-term compressed storage (or other options)? Thanks.

I suppose I should be more specific with my question ... assuming I compress a synthetic sleeping bag - how much warmth would I lose and is there a synthetic material that's less affected by long-term compression?

Edited by Wheels (09/26/09 04:54 PM)
Edit Reason: To clarify

#183245 - 09/26/09 02:59 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Wheels]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just use a new (made 27 years ago) British Army 58 Pattern feather Down sleeping bag for vehicle use.

It comes with a non pearmeable water proof base and can be used without a sleeping pad and is rated for -10C. The 58 pattern bag is also reasonably priced for the specification matching top end synthetic bags.

If you want something an synthetic again with a centre zip then the Snugpak SF range is compact (for synthetic) and warm for its weight.

#183246 - 09/26/09 03:04 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carry multiple fleece blankets. Have you considered storing it uncompressed?either in a large bag or just open on the back seat?

#183249 - 09/26/09 03:17 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: TeacherRO]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Yes but I'm rapidly running out of cubic feet. I would really prefer to keep the bag as small as posible - otherwise I'll be tempted to take it out when I have a couple people with me - and I know I wouldn't put it back right away. My son has a great bag but unless it's compressed it's just too big for the space I have. I guess I'm basing my thoughts on experience with his bag.

#183252 - 09/26/09 04:37 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Wheels]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I have a North Face Ember synthetic bag made with Polarguard 3d....
Have had it for years and store it unrolled at the top of the closet. If you are running out of room in the van, perhaps you could keep it unrolled on the very top of yopu other gear, but then you'd have to move it every time you wanted to get something under it. Or just store it compressed for a while, then keep it out for the same amount of time it was compressed. Do you have storage on a roof rack, or storage in a unit that attaches to a trailer hitch/proper trailer?

#183254 - 09/26/09 04:54 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: barbakane]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: barbakane
Do you have storage on a roof rack, or storage in a unit that attaches to a trailer hitch/proper trailer?

I've got to be able to get to the bag from inside the van.

I suppose I should be more specific with my question ... assuming I compress a synthetic sleeping bag - how much warmth would I lose and is there a synthetic material that's better suited to long-term compression?

#183255 - 09/26/09 05:09 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Wheels]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I don't think so much that you lose "warmth," but rather, compress the insulation along the folds, Ie, along the creases where the bag has folded onto itself. Which leads to multiple colder spots, due to the thinner/compressed insulation from the compressed/fold areas.

Also remember, temp ratings on sleeping bags aren't absolute. Each company is a bit different. Some use "comfortable at" ratings, some use "you'll stay alive" ratings, some use "good to this temp if you wear a base layer when in the bag" mentality.

OH gets chilly. I'd look at least for a 20 degree bag. Ideally -10 or so, since it rarely gets that cold.

As for storing it, have you thought of a box? Even a 2x2ft box may be OK - it's not "compressed" in its bag, but rather just "cramped." You shouldn't lose too much loft that way. Another option perhaps is stuffing it under a bench seat, if your van still has one (I'm guessing if anything, it's in the far back so your wheelchair can get in).

Edited by MDinana (09/26/09 07:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarification; I only had 3 hours sleep. Sorry.

#183257 - 09/26/09 05:46 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: MDinana]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

I like the idea of storing it in a box - should have thought of that. I don't have a bench seat (I've removed a couple of seats - one each in the middle and back rows - to make room for my chair and other stuff). Thanks.

#183259 - 09/26/09 06:21 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Wheels]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I see what your Wheels and MDianna is right; a bag in a stuff sack doesn't lose warmth per se, but the insulation quality is diminished because the stuffing clumps together causing cold spots.

With your unique situation and desire to stay put in the van have you considered a blanket system? I have no idea the actual warmth property's a GI wool blanket (et al) but they take up little space in the van and can keep someone quite warm. Add a lambs wool layer to sit on and you could stay quite warm.

BenJammin mentioned a few months ago some quilt/bag he uses that has some waterproofing qualities. I remember looking at the link but it was too heavy for what I wanted. It may be great for you.

#183266 - 09/26/09 07:45 PM Re: sleeping bag storage in car [Re: Wheels]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
The maker of Wiggy's sleeping bags claims his bags suffer no loss of loft/warmth from compression, and even offers a vacuum packed option, or used to, anyway.

"The Lamilite is an unbounded, silicone-coated continuous filament fiber. This is inside and cannot be seen. The silicone coating gives the fiber two very desirable properties. The first is “antistatic” which allows the fibers to perpetually repel each other regardless of how tightly the fibers are packed against each other (such as compacting in a stuff sack). The loft always returns after removing our sleeping bag from the stuff sack. As an example, one of our Ultima Thule sleeping bags was compacted under 20 tons of pressure. It was blister packed in two poly bags the size of 14 1/2” x 9 1/2” x 2 3/4”. After four days it was opened and in one hour, without assistance, 90% of its loft returned. A Lamilite insulated sleeping bag is the only synthetic bag ever put through this test that returned to its original loft. Not even a down bag will return to almost original, actually the down bags deteriorate when vacuum packed. It is for this reason that I guarantee my sleeping bags will never lose their loft. The Alaska National Guard, as part of their survival gear, uses the Ultima Thule. The bags are left in the vacuum package until needed."

Usual disclaimers, never owned one, no connection, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.