Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#183142 - 09/25/09 11:53 AM Journalist calling for interview
AmyGreen Offline
Stranger

I am a journalist in Orlando, Fla., and I am working on a story for Religion News Service about survivalism.

The story is about how survivalism is becoming more mainstream. I am searching for someone to interview, someone who is stockpiling supplies, gardening or preparing in some way to become self-sufficient in the face of possible disaster.

Religion News Service is a secular news wire service that provides stories to magazines and newspapers nationwide.

The person would have to be here in Central Florida. Please e-mail me at amybgreen@earthlink.net if you are interested. Thanks to Doug Ritter for inviting me to post here!

Amy Green

#183215 - 09/26/09 01:47 AM Re: Journalist calling for interview [Re: AmyGreen]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

I have learned that this is not a survivalist site.
Doug explains it in What Do You Mean, "Not A 'Survivalist' Site?"

Hi wink laugh

#183217 - 09/26/09 02:09 AM Re: Journalist calling for interview [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Assuming Doug invited her as she indicates, I'm sure Amy has already been vetted.
Quote:
A few decades ago, a survivalist was someone who was interested in the tools and methods used to survive in an emergency.
if she is using the survivalist term in its original intent, she's fine. The term applied to most of us here decades ago; now, not so much.

#183272 - 09/26/09 08:25 PM Re: Journalist calling for interview [Re: Russ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Indeed. The whole point of the research appears to be the springing up of ETS-esque "maritime" communities dealing with citizen preparedness.

One thing I'd like to point out:
Quote:
someone who is stockpiling supplies, gardening or preparing in some way to become self-sufficient in the face of possible disaster.

That's not what the forum is really about. People here deal more with damage control and evacuation from a disaster area, as opposed to the wet dream of holing up in a cliff-side fortress and fending off gangs of minorities.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#183275 - 09/26/09 08:46 PM Re: Journalist calling for interview [Re: Rodion]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
This forum is different things to different people. And as the expanding forum sections attest, it is evolving.

There are probably quite a few people on this forum who fit the bill for what she's looking for -- which apparently is long-term survival after a cataclysm. Some posting. More lurking. They may not all be stockpiling an arsenal.

More of us, I'd guess, are focused on preparedness in the traditional disaster planning sense. Near to medium-term self-sufficiency after a hurricane, earthquake, power outage, etc.

And count me among those who would also like to be "equipped to survive" if something goes awry while hiking in the wilderness or if I'm stranded with my car.

Peggy Noonan wrote a column on this subject earlier this year -- survivalism in Manhattan.

And judging from The History Channel's array of apocalyptic shows this year, there is growing interest in the populace.

I watched one of those shows today, about 12/21/2012, and thought they should re-name and become The End-of-History Channel.

Good luck with your article. If I were really intent on survivalism, I wouldn't want my name in an article about all my preparations and supplies.

Edited by Dagny (09/26/09 08:50 PM)

#183388 - 09/28/09 02:08 AM Re: Journalist calling for interview [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Cool!

When you pick someone let us know I`m curious who it is laugh

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.