Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182567 - 09/18/09 08:39 PM possible alliterative to SAK classic
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi folks

I came across this SAK Executive today

I thought that it would be a good compromise between the slim elegance a classic and the versatility of a minichamp for those who like all the tools on the champ but not the bulk, or someone who likes the classic but would like a second blade.

Another plus is that it has sightly longer blades than either.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Cauldronborn (09/18/09 08:58 PM)
Edit Reason: FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO CREATE A LINK !!!

#182569 - 09/18/09 09:01 PM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: Cauldronborn]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
My wife and I both carry the executive as part of our EDC. I like the longer blade as my main user. I keep the little one clean for emergency use. The main reason, for me, is that those little scissors are so darned handy.

When I was young and stupid(er) I got into a bike accident. The emergency room guys left a pebble imbedded in my cheek and I few months later after everything healed up my cheek started to hurt from the pressure against the pebble.

At the time, my EDC was the SAK hunter. So out came the small blade. Got it cleaned up and cleaned my face and cut the pebble out in front of a mirror. That's when I found out what it was. I did a pretty good job. Fortunately, I didn't have to dig too deep. And no scar.

So since then, I always keep a second SAK blade clean.

#182570 - 09/18/09 09:11 PM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: aloha]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: aloha
My wife and I both carry the executive as part of our EDC. I like the longer blade as my main user. I keep the little one clean for emergency use. The main reason, for me, is that those little scissors are so darned handy.

When I was young and stupid(er) I got into a bike accident. The emergency room guys left a pebble imbedded in my cheek and I few months later after everything healed up my cheek started to hurt from the pressure against the pebble.

At the time, my EDC was the SAK hunter. So out came the small blade. Got it cleaned up and cleaned my face and cut the pebble out in front of a mirror. That's when I found out what it was. I did a pretty good job. Fortunately, I didn't have to dig too deep. And no scar.

So since then, I always keep a second SAK blade clean.

OUCH!! That must of hurt, but a good reason for having a sharp & clean second blade.

#182575 - 09/18/09 10:00 PM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: Cauldronborn]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I don't think it was too bad. If I recall correctly, the alcohol swab after hurt more than the cutting.

#182584 - 09/18/09 11:17 PM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: Cauldronborn]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
SAK XAVT
Dude this is my new knife

Mike D

#182586 - 09/18/09 11:50 PM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: Cauldronborn]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
It looks good Cauldronborn.

I keep a classic with my keys and usually have an aluminum scaled soldier in a pocket somewhere.
This would definitely be worth looking at as a replacement.
I find the SAKs with a thousand blades just to heavy and bulky for EDC.

I would love to have their Heritage knife but it is a bit too much money for my budget.
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Page...p;product=51884

#182597 - 09/19/09 01:15 AM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: kd7fqd]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
SAK XAVT
Mike D

LOL.

It would take me half an hour to find the right blade and what is left of my finger nails to get it out. My favorite SAK has only six blades.

#182600 - 09/19/09 01:47 AM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: kd7fqd]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
SAK XAVT

Mike D

Dude this is mine

No not really

#182602 - 09/19/09 01:52 AM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: GoatRider]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: GoatRider
SAK XAVT

Mike D

Dude this is mine

No not really

That one comes with its own backpack case right?

#182623 - 09/19/09 11:20 AM Re: possible alliterative to SAK classic [Re: Cauldronborn]
marantz Offline

I've always preferred the Wenger version of the Classic, mainly because of the superior scissors. There's no hairpin spring to break or lose, which I would guess happens rarely, but happens often enough that they sell replacement springs. The serrated scissor blades don't slip, and while calling them self sharpening might be a stretch, the side pressure built into the design makes them easier to use. The Wenger is also slightly longer, ~64 mm.

I've graduated to the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest, which adds a double thickness bottle opener/flat bladed screwdriver, an eyeglass screwdriver, and a reamer/awl with sewing eye. The tool I use the most besides the scissors is the nail file/nail cleaner. The pointed, beveled tip makes a great staple puller and passable emergency small Phillips screwdriver. They come in red and black handles, as does the Evo equivalent, the Evo 88.

A black Wenger Pocket Tool Chest also provides a handy place to clip my Photon Freedom keychain LED flashlight, and both fit in the watch pocket of my jeans. When needed, I can also just dangle the Photon outside the pocket to keep my hands free while walking/working in the dark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.