Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177237 - 07/22/09 02:47 PM Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of)
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK, before you go all freaky on me - notice the sort of

I've carried a pocket knife (except where/when prohibited by law) since I was 11.

About 2-3 years ago, I got a Leatherman Charge TTi, and stopped carrying a seperate knife as an EDC. Last year, I added a nice wood inlay Sebenza back to my EDC.

I've noticed that despite having the Sebbie on me, I'm more likely to grab the TTi - it fits my hand well, the blade actually stays sharp about as long as the Sebbie (first Leatherman I've owned where I can say that). The "other" tools on the leatherman are useful to have

I already have another blade in my EDC bag (yeah - I often have 3-4 blades withing hands reach)

The question is, as I find myself rarely using the Sebbie in EDC (except for cutting food/spreading condaments - don't like using the leatherman for that), what do you guys think of the idea of me moving the sebbie to my bag, moving the bag knife to storage? In other words - NOT carrying a single purpose knife?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177239 - 07/22/09 03:05 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I'm kind of the opposite.

I have a leatherman too, and I rarely use the blade on that. I carry a much cheaper Sog Flash II (compared to your sebbie) and it's my "go to" utility knife. I use it to cut cardboard, open packages, cut rope, mark steel when I`m working in the garage, cut wires, etc. I use it for a lot of "hard" things and it's lasted me many years (about needs replaced now). For 50 bucks, and the use I get out of it I`ll never not carry it or a knife like it + the leatherman.

The leatherman I use for the pliers, screw drivers, and the blade is used for cutting "nicer" things that won't do it harm.

I think you may be carrying TOOOOOOO nice of a pocket knife for EDC maybe you aren't using it for more because of that?

#177249 - 07/22/09 03:30 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I for one don't like the idea.It only takes that one time you need a blade"right now".When and if your life depends on it wouldn't you regret it if you didn't have it on you.Remember Martins post on the firemen calling for a knife to cut the four year old out of a burning mini-van.If one had a knife handy(on their person)the child may have been burned a lot less.JMHO...

BOATMAN
John

#177250 - 07/22/09 03:33 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: boatman]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

John that's another valid reason. I can switch open my SOG a lot faster than the Leatherman... that requires me unsnapping a button and also possibly fumbling with my shirt/jackets if they are covering it.

#177255 - 07/22/09 03:38 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Nah, it's not because it's too nice - Hint - I've edc'd a lot nicer knives than the Sebbie - like mid end customs (can't afford high end like say, and engraved Ron Lake)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177257 - 07/22/09 03:42 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Nah, it's not because it's too nice - Hint - I've edc'd a lot nicer knives than the Sebbie - like mid end customs (can't afford high end like say, and engraved Ron Lake)

Gotcha.

Maybe you just need to expand your mind, ahahaha, on what else you can use it for? laugh laugh laugh

#177275 - 07/22/09 04:46 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hi, my name's Blast and I only EDC a Leatherman.
*GASP*

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#177279 - 07/22/09 05:25 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: Blast]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have considered doing the exact same thing. As long as you have some sort of blade available, shouldn't be a problem.

#177280 - 07/22/09 05:30 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hi, my name's Benjammin and I only EDC a Leatherman.
YAWN

Back when I was doing electronics, it was the only knife I had on me all the time. It has two knife blades and all the other tools. I would cut copper wire with it regularly, use it to pry apart metal cases, whittle pencils, trim fingernails, clean fish, etc. As an EDC, having another knife was usually too redundant and superfluous.

In Baghdad, I EDC'd a multi-tool and a fixed blade. I needed more over there. The fixed blade helped keep the jihadist palm trees and loose boards at bay. One of my favorite Baghdad quotes:

Cowboy Dude: "What do you need a big knife like that for?"

Benjammin: "For loppin' heads, of course."

Cowboy Dude: LOL, "Now that's funny."

Nowadays, I've traded in the Wave for a Gerber Shortcut because I don't need all the accessories in an office like I did on a workbench/afield.

#177288 - 07/22/09 07:00 PM Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) [Re: benjammin]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I carry a TTi on my left in a sheath on my left side and a decent CRKT Point Guard clipped inside my right pocket. I can get the dedicated folder out and open in under a second without any trouble. The TTi is nowhere near as fast unless you are using it clipped and even then I don't trust it as much outside a sheath.

YMMV, but I find I use my EDC knife for bladework, the TTi for other jobs, and only rarely pull out the Leatherman blade when I have lost the edge on my other. It's not as fast or as efficient the way I'm carrying, but to each his own. Plus I like having the backup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.