Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175659 - 07/06/09 04:03 AM I cant believe I did this...
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
So I went camping and ATVing with a group of friends and the DW. I went out on the trail with the ATV several times and had a great time. Spent hours on the trail pretty much care free. Got home and was thinking about the great weekend. Then it hit me- I had literally an ATV, a 40 cal. pistol, 3 bottles of water and a GPS. That is it. No knife, no FAK, no food. I was a minimalist this weekend. Luckily nothing bad happened. But...

I am the one preaching to friends and family that preparedness is the key to every (most) situations. I wasnt even close to being smart let alone prepared. Wow, I have truely disappointed myself.

My question is this, have any of you, had a lapse in common sence? I know we all have but in the context of this thread. I am not new to this game, so I actually had my entire BOB, a EMT bag, a major FAK and my EDC back at camp - that at times was sometimes 25 miles away. Anyway, alls well that ends well. I promised myself that it would not happen again though.

#175660 - 07/06/09 06:21 AM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: epirider]
LED Offline
Veteran

Unfortunately it happens quite a bit, especially when traveling and I've got to adjust my EDC on the fly. Thats why I've been paring down my kits and EDC stuff so as much of it goes wherever I go no matter the situation. This saying can be applied to just about anything, but the small kit in your pocket is worth more than all the gear you have at home. Glad you trip was incident free.

#175663 - 07/06/09 10:26 AM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: LED]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
You still had a great deal of useful, practical knowledge to fall back on. That alone is where many folks will fall short in a situation.

#175664 - 07/06/09 10:45 AM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: LED]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't personally own an ATV (my brother does), but I do own seven snowmobiles. The four that we typically use I keep loaded year round with certain supplies. That way, I don't have to worry about myself, or anyone else, using them without basic supplies on hand. Very dangerous to be without any supplies in the middle of winter. I also make sure to check all my supplies before and after each season, as part of my regular maintenance.

Off the top of my head, this is what the sleds have in them:

-Spare drive belt
-Spare qt. oil (two stroke)
-Spare spark plugs with plug wrench
-Spare recoil string (on sled without electric start)
-Spare fuel line/coolant line
-Duct tape
-Mini WD-40 can
-Chemical handwarmers
-Tow rope or strap
-Surefire G2 LED flashlight (perfect for snowmobiling; LED so no bulbs to break, lithium cr123 cells that work well even when cold, and plastic body instead of metal body so you can still hold it in your mouth when cold)
-Leatherman Blast Multi-tool
-Bic lighter and Swedish FireSteel
-Metal cup for boiling water

That's the bare minimum. The two lead sleds (the ones that go out most often) are also equipped with a small combination survival/first aid kit that includes some other little odds and ends. One of the lead sleds also has a hatchet, while the other has a Sawvivor saw. (As there have been times when we've needed to cut down fallen trees with the larger saw, or chop through ice with the hatchet)

I often ride with other people and I even check out their gear. I won't ride with anyone that doesn't have at least a spare belt, spare plugs, and a flashlight. Often times I end up having to remind people that they have to fend for themselves when snowmobiling. Many are programmed with the notion that, if anything happens, they can just whip out their cell phone and call AAA or whatever. That doesn't exactly work out in the sticks, where you rarely get any cell service and land lines can be miles away.

#175666 - 07/06/09 11:34 AM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: epirider]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: epirider

My question is this, have any of you, had a lapse in common sence? I know we all have but in the context of this thread. I am not new to this game, so I actually had my entire BOB, a EMT bag, a major FAK and my EDC back at camp - that at times was sometimes 25 miles away. Anyway, alls well that ends well. I promised myself that it would not happen again though.

Everyone has a brain fart now and again. This is exactly the sort of situation that prompts me to recommend that even when you have more and better gear, nothing substitutes for the pocket survival kit and other survival gear that is small and unobtrusive enough that it is with you at all times. If it isn't with you, it can't save you (tm).

When I am out in the wilds, regardless of the situation, I always have my Pocket Survival Pak, a shelter (vacuum packed HeatSheets Blanket), knife and multi-tool (and going forward, the new tiny McMurdo Fast Find) and such in my pants pockets. Even if I forget or get separated from my other gear, I always have that. If I have my pants on, it's with me. If I don't have my pants on, well, I don't expect to be very far from camp in that condition. grin
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#175668 - 07/06/09 12:55 PM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: epirider]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I bet you won't let it happen again....

RIP OBG

#175692 - 07/06/09 07:18 PM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
LED Offline
Veteran

Speaking of pocket kits, any updates on the ETA of the new DR pocket survival kit?

#175697 - 07/06/09 08:22 PM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: LED]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Speaking of pocket kits, any updates on the ETA of the new DR pocket survival kit?

Intodcution still on for OR Summer this month, production later this year. Still some signficant issues to be worked out befoe I;m happy. <g>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#175698 - 07/06/09 09:09 PM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Doug when your happy, my bank account drops.

Just saying. smile

#175699 - 07/06/09 10:01 PM Re: I cant believe I did this... [Re: comms]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I have an REI goretex parka that i always have even just walking in the woods. I always carry one of Dougs excellent little Pocket Survival kits, a small First Aid Kit, my SAK, a single AAA cell LED light, my Surefire light and a flask of water. with that minimalist gear I am good for most overnight emergencies.
Normally I have a rucksack with more extensive gear including a poncho and liner, which beats the snot out of those mylar emergency blankets, in my humble opinion.
It only takes a minute for an idyllic outing to turn into a severe survival situation, we cannot plan when that will happen, that is why I chose to be prepared for such things always. But then we all have to have at least one wakeup call in our lives, if we are lucky to survive such things we seldom forget.
In the Pacific NorthWet, with our prodigious and continuous rainfall, hypothermia is a year round killer. It doesn't discriminate and always lies in wait for the weak, unsuspecting, or ignorant. Having the ability and tools to start a fire quickly and efficiently, as well as a means to get out of wind and rain, is mandatory.
It only took me one bad experience where I was borderline hypothermic to always keep that in mind.

Edited by Tarzan (07/06/09 10:02 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.