Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174653 - 06/10/09 03:58 PM Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense?
MedXLT Offline
Stranger

Interesting article about using your flashlights for self defense and how effective (or uneffective) it may be. I believe in the wild, animals may be less susceptible to being stunned... Great photos too of many lights including Surefire. Here's the link: Stun Potential: Using Your Flashlight For Self Defense?

#174663 - 06/10/09 09:28 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: NightHiker]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Anectdotal I know, but I have used my own Streamlight Scorpion to dissuade aggressive dogs when on my evening walks in the winter time. Unfortunately it stays light forever here in the summer so I must resort to more lethal defenses when walking in the warmer months

The dogs just stop in their tracks and back off. Seems they don't like attacking that which they don't see

#174666 - 06/10/09 11:18 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: ]
jaschenck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Alabama
I have a good friend who lives in NY about 20 years ago since the laws are so strict about any sort of weapon carry she decided on a 16oz claw hammer and she still carries it today. The point being whatever works for you is what it comes down to, I would not depend on a flashlight beam though. I don't carry a hammer either but if I had to choose between the two to defend myself or family I would go with the hammer.

Jim

Edited by jaschenck (06/11/09 01:46 AM)

#174668 - 06/10/09 11:29 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: ]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've carried a surefire of one kind or another ever since they came out - both in corrections / law enforcement and in personal civilian life too. I know from use that the bright light can help distract and can provide a few second's edge in your response to a situation.

There is another fact too... in a defensive situation where the aggressor has been distracted by the bright light - you have a very hard impact tool in your hand that can then be used to add a strike (if or as needed) to add additional response to an aggressor's actions. It's all a continuum in the use of force... sometimes the light can be enough to defuse or deflect an undesired response but I'm always glad to know I have the option of a follow up with an increase in response level and an 'alternate' use of my flashlight.

I also many years ago had a firearms instructor who I and many of my professional colleagues had very great respect for flatly state it's far better if you have to pick only one to have a flashlight with your sidearm rather than an extra reload - ideally both but the flashlight wins out when you have to pick.

Paul in MN -

#174669 - 06/11/09 12:18 AM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: pforeman]
NobodySpecial Offline

Not sure of the brightness but 6D cell Maglites are popular here with bouncers and security guards who don't carry guns.
A truncheon officer? Oh no that's just in case of power cuts.

#174676 - 06/11/09 02:21 AM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: NobodySpecial]
sotto Offline
Addict

I wouldn't put much faith in a flashlight for self-defense unless it were something like this (which I have an earlier model of):

Tigerlight flashlight and pepper spray.

#174690 - 06/11/09 01:03 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: sotto]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My wife was stunned when she saw the price for the last LED flashlight I bought.

Does that count?

#174692 - 06/11/09 02:06 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: sotto]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Sotto, I disagree - quite apart from the idea of stunning an assailant with a bright beam, in close combat a flashlight makes an excellent defensive weapon. Instead of smashing an assailant's nose or gouging his eye with your fist and fingers, you can add a debilitating hard knock to their temple, jaw, cheek, nose, eye, teeth, throat etc etc, any of which should give you time to cave one or both knees, which will give you time to get away.

All it takes is an attitude of aggression, and the will to beat your opponent. Since they're out to rape, rob or kill you, hopefully you have the will to end their efforts.

#174699 - 06/11/09 03:53 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: Lono]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Though I am not one, federal agents are currently being trained on the use of 'combat' flashlights as a disorientation tool in urban settings.

I think if all of us think back to when we are goofing with our buddies at night or in a darkened room, a 100+ lumen light shined in the face is quite a shock to the vision.

#174719 - 06/11/09 09:44 PM Re: Stun Potential: A Flashlight For Self-Defense? [Re: KenK]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Originally Posted By: KenK
My wife was stunned when she saw the price for the last LED flashlight I bought.

Does that count?

That made me laugh out loud. I am in the same boat. Don't tell her about the new Stainless Nalgene I just bought. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.