Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174703 - 06/11/09 04:54 PM Chopper Crashes on Rescue
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I didn't see this story posted previously:

"A New Mexico police officer was rescued Wednesday after surviving a helicopter crash in the snowy Santa Fe National Forest, but the fate of the pilot remained unknown.

The pilot, Andrew Tingwall, remains missing after the helicopter's crash in the Santa Fe National Forest.

Officer Wesley Cox spent Tuesday night by the chopper's wreckage before walking out and making contact with search teams, said state police spokesman Lt. Eric Garcia."
-CNN

The crash happened after the helicopter picked up a lost hiker in the Santa Fe Ski Area.

More of the story can be found here. Links from that story to previous coverage of the events as they unfolded can be found there.

#174712 - 06/11/09 08:16 PM Re: Chopper Crashes on Rescue [Re: Nicodemus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It sounds like even the rescue helicopter should have carried a PLB!

#174716 - 06/11/09 09:29 PM Re: Chopper Crashes on Rescue [Re: KenK]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
All I could think of when I read about this was how thankful I am that there are people who risk their lives to save others. That doesn't just go for helicopter rescue. So to the many firefighters, LEOs, military, and civilian rescue members who frequent the site, let me say thanks. I've been lucky enough to not need you, but I'm always glad you're there.

#174724 - 06/11/09 10:37 PM Re: Chopper Crashes on Rescue [Re: massacre]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
CNN now reporting the pilot and hiker found dead.

http://www.koat.com/cnn-news/19718871/detail.html

#174729 - 06/12/09 12:47 AM Re: Chopper Crashes on Rescue [Re: Nicodemus]
MBO Offline
Stranger

I'm a member of one of the SAR teams based out of Santa Fe that was called up for both the initial search and the search for the helicopter after it went down. I'm currently out of the state, and did not get a chance to take part in the search, but I've been getting update and chatter constantly for the past few days.

Most of us are still in shock. This is one of those worst-case scenarios that we train for and hope never, ever happens. We know we face very real danger with every call out, these officers knew the same thing. It's impossible to overstate the bravery and selflessness of these two men, who went out in a helicopter into the teeth of a blinding storm, over some of the most rugged and inhospitable terrain the state has to offer, in order to try to save the lives of strangers.

I'm still getting accounts from team mates. The thing that keeps coming up is the speed with which this went from a standard (if there is such a thing) search for a pair of missing hikers to an absolute, all out crisis scenario with the lost of the copter, and then the wrenching pain when that turned into a recovery mission. It's a stern reminder of how quickly these situations can go wrong.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.