Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172130 - 04/27/09 01:39 PM Airballrad's PSK
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Since I recently updated my photos of my PSK, I figured I'd throw it up here for the good denizens of ETS to pick apart. grin

The Case

The case was meant to hold a small (laptop-size) portable hard drive. Shown with the waterproof bag it lives in, and 32 oz. bottle for reference.

Case Opened

Case open to show packing of contents

Contents

AMK Pocket Medic FAK
AMK Pocket Survival Pack
Katadyn water purification tablets (in PSP bag)
1 quart-sized freezer bag for purifying water with tabs
Fenix E01 flashlight
Leatherman Squirt P4 keychain multitool
CRKT Mt. Shasta locking folder
2GB USB drive with photos and encrypted vital docs
cotton bandana
AMK Heatsheets blanket
emergency poncho

This PSK lives in my EDC bag on the off chance I can't get to my GHB in the car. It is intended to get me through an unplanned night or two outdoors but be small enough that all its contents can fit in my pockets if need be. It should never need to stand alone (even my EDC and the other stuff in my EDC bag would help alot), but it should give me a large advantage even if I have no other gear.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

#172142 - 04/27/09 02:43 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: airballrad]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Some safety pins, paperclips and a few zip ties take up little space but greatly increase your ability to fix stuff. Maybe some spare batteries for the flashlight? Lastly, a small radio to keep up with news can be handy.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#172164 - 04/27/09 05:27 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: Blast]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I guess the pocket survival pack has safety pins, duct tape and quite a few other goodies. In fact I am sure it does. Same deal with your first aid kit.

I tend to have my stuff distributed more in my pockets but it is pretty much all the same stuff.
I don't usually carry safety pins, whenever I carried safety pins I was always getting stuck with them and they never held things together very well for me anyhow.
I do carry a small sew kit.
My sew kit is just two needles with thread, one black, one white taped to a card. The card has 2 slits at each end and the thread is wrapped through them then covered with a layer of tape to keep it together. The black thread is waxed linen button thread. The white thread is waxed dental floss.
They ride inside my wallet with my fishing kit, which is just 6 hooks taped to a card with fishing line wrapped around it and strips of tape to hold the line in place, just like the sewing card.
These ride in the credit card slots.

I also carry snacks.
Usually small zip lock bags of raisins or trail mix, not the little boxes because they get crushed. Not chocolate bars because they melt. Not big either, just enough to fit in a jacket pocket.

Well, before I digress to much, your kit looks good.
It does not seem too bulky.

#172171 - 04/27/09 05:48 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: airballrad]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Prehaps a band or patch of that high vis glow in the dark/reflective stuff sewn on the pouch just in case you dropped it somewhere at night. I dropped my black blast match before and it took me 30 minutes to find the stupid thing. I got some of that tape on all my non-tactical survival gear now for that reason. Works like a charm when you need it.

#172228 - 04/27/09 11:36 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: Blast]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Hey Blast!

The safety pins are in the DR PSP (of course). Paperclips and zip ties are a good call; it's a good thing this little bag stretches a lot. grin

Oh, and the spare batteries and radio (which is also a flashlight and charges from solar or crank) are in the mini-bailout-bag that this is in, which also has an Esbit stove, 16oz steel cup, Gerber Multi-plier, Gerber folder, 50' paracord, headlamp, Cliff bars, spork, and water bottle. All of which is in the EDC bag. Which complements my GHB in the car. Which is backed up by my BOB...

...Did I mention I'm a gear junkie? blush

#172230 - 04/27/09 11:42 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: scafool]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Hiya scafool,

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to go light on my person since I am rarely more than a meter from the EDC bag. So that is pared down to wallet, keys (with DR Photon and SwissTech Utilikey), Leatherman Charge, Leatherman c301, Victorinox classic, folding pen, mini-Bic, and bandana. Any DR PSP is an emegency sewing kit by default, but I also have a travel sewing kit in my EDC bag and in my desk. I like to keep my buttons where they belong. laugh

Cliff bars hold up well in bags, and even pockets short-term. I buy them when they go on sale, since I don't really eat them unless on a walk or if the need arises.

#172231 - 04/27/09 11:45 PM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: Taurus]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Hi Taurus,

I will look into it. The case is somewhat rigid, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to get a needle through it. The dry bag it's in is pretty high-vis, so I am at least good on that front.

#172234 - 04/28/09 12:21 AM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: airballrad]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Can't see the pics lots of info though.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#172243 - 04/28/09 01:36 AM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: leemann]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Sorry; server hiccup. The pics should be back now. blush

#172253 - 04/28/09 04:24 AM Re: Airballrad's PSK [Re: airballrad]
LED Offline
Veteran

Finger nail clippers. Aside from the obvious, they make cutting small zip-ties much easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.