The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171327 - 04/14/09 08:27 PM Metal Sparklite....thanks
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Well I just unwrapped a nice present from a fellow ETS’er. Somehow I missed out on the metal Sparklite event from a while back…don’t ask me how I missed it, but a kind fellow has remedied that situation for me.

I only had the plastic version Sparklite in my Ritter pocket kit, and admittedly never used it. I was always somewhat afraid to carry and use these devices as they were not refillable…a real “too bad” in my view. Well these new (old) ones fix that issue.

I will give these a bit more of a run now that I have perpetual well-made models. I think I may tuck one with some tinder in a K&M matchcase…or even see if I can find my Reeve Aviator and finally put something in its handle.

Thanks Chris.

#171333 - 04/14/09 09:15 PM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Schwert]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*drools politely*

And for those of us who missed it, Triple Aught Design has something similar that is surprisingly in stock. THAT is the sign of rare- when you get the TAD equivalent more readily. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#171338 - 04/14/09 10:04 PM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: ironraven]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The SPARKLITE in the right of Randy's photo is the super rare

Solid milled brass. These were the first run when Oak finalised

the design. The military in it's wisdom figured plastic would

wiegh less.

#171341 - 04/14/09 10:46 PM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Schwert]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Very nice. Wow, solid brass. You could buff that up very nicely. Hey, if you're going to be lost, at least do it in style, right?

I've never handle a Sparklite, so a question. What's in that little capsule container? Flints? And does the wheel have to be removed with the hex wrench to replace the flints, if that is indeed what they are? Or is the wrench for some other purpose?

#171343 - 04/14/09 11:04 PM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Arney]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sparklites have a fixed striking wheel. The flints are held inside the handle by small springs and steel plungers.

With the current plastic service issue, once the flint is used up(remember that means thousands of sparks)that's it. Everything is sealed inside the plastic.

The prototype brass units had a small threaded dial, much like a wristwatch to access the spring and plunger assembly. The test run of aluminum went to a tiny hex thread- hence the wrench. The tiny vial holds standard lighter flints.

This is something Oak wants to produce for the civilian market.
It's a matter of enough market interest, which we may help?

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/14/09 11:21 PM)

#171347 - 04/14/09 11:37 PM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
These really are much nicer in my view than the plastic version. Even though there are hundreds of sparks in the plastic....you just don't know when it is finished.

For a pocket kit though it is perfect for size and since it is not in constant use likely to be ready when you are.

I added a small ferro rod to my Ritter kit so to have my "normal" firetool.

I can see a real market for the metal Sparklites....enough of a market to make the manufacturer happy...well who knows, but they are certainly an improvement over the plastic version.

#171348 - 04/15/09 12:18 AM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Schwert]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
Just curious, For those of you who have both, is the knurled screw on the bottom better/nicer than the hex screw? It just seems it would be one less piece to get lost. On the other hand it might be more likely to come out when you did not want it too. Any experience?

I also wonder if you could drill out the bottom of one of the plastic ones and put a little bolt in there just like on these? It might be worth a try if you had one that was used up. They are pretty thin so it might weaken them too much.

#171352 - 04/15/09 12:52 AM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: ZechariahStover]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you look at a plastic unit there are two halves and a baseplug.These are all heat welded to very close tolerances to give correct tension and wheel spin. So no, drilling one would make a mess of things.

The rare brass units are certainly beautifull pieces of machining.
There is a susceptability of the brass on brass threading to
freeze up with time. the aluminum units have that neat hex key.
Replacing flints is going to be an exercise in care with a clean surface to catch small parts.

I thought the plastic units a little more 'grippy' vs the smooth aluminum. So I did the hand in icewater and make a SPARKLITE fire test and found no real difference.

#171359 - 04/15/09 01:37 AM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
GradyT34 Offline

I looked at the Sparklites (or equivelant) available on the Triple Aught Design website (i.e. the one in OD green and the orange one) and I'm almost certain they are plastic (not the metal ones). Can anyone confirm they only have plastic Sparklites?

I'm a newbie and do not understand something about lighter terminology. Very knowledgable persons on this website will state that they get "hundreds of sparks" out of their Sparklites? When they say sparks, do they mean strikes? I ask because I get many dozens, if not hundreds "sparks" each time I strike the sparklite.

My last question deals with the shelf life of the lighter flints. I remember having problems many years ago with a couple lighters where the flints broke up over time, and acutally ruined the lighters by causing the striker to bind. I remember being told then that lighter flints (such as Zippo and Ronson) go bad over time in that they break up. I just noticed on the Zippo website that they now expressly give a lifetime guarantee on their flints (which I thought could mean that at least Zippo has fixed the problem). Has anyone had a problem with flints going bad in their Sparklites? If so is there a shelf life to the Sparklites?

#171362 - 04/15/09 01:54 AM Re: Metal Sparklite....thanks [Re: GradyT34]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Those are plastic SPARKLITES.

By sparks we mean each turn of the wheel producing a light show.

Properly speaking, the flints are the small rods being sparked by the wheels.

Yes, a poorly made wheel can decompose. Even SPARKLITE suffered from a small batch of defective units they made good on.

My brass sparklites are Vietnam era, and have held up better than my other stuff from that period.

Keep them clean and dry and they should last a long,long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.