Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#169786 - 03/20/09 03:39 AM A sad reinder
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm mourning a favourite actress, Natascha Richardson.

As events become known, a simple fall, a refusal to be examined by ski patrol medics led to cerebral bleeding and death.

I've had two major head truamas; I knocked myself cold running into playground equippment as a little boy in Scottsdale.

Years later I suffered a tiny skull fracture flipping my lifeboat.

Both times I had IMMEDIATE medical care.

Both times my thick skull held what intelligence I claim from slipping entirely away.

We all 'tough it out' and we all wake up 20 years later with a elbow that won't work.

Please, if you get in a wreck and medical care of ANY level is there don't play tough or feel embaressed.

#169787 - 03/20/09 04:01 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And those old head injuries let a M escape from my title and prove my point.

#169791 - 03/20/09 05:01 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
grinAnd I read it as "a sad reindeer" thinking that maybe santa´s dead.

#169798 - 03/20/09 10:07 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: ]
LoneWolf Offline

+1 on the helmet.

A few years ago, I went over the handlebars on my mountain bike. When the dust settled and all senses were reporting in that nothing was broken, I discovered that my helmet was in two pieces. I still shudder think what might have happened without it.

LW

#169800 - 03/20/09 10:42 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: LoneWolf]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
And PLEASE, listen to the advice of the EMS people on scene and do what they ask/suggest. They get the same (usually poor or no) pay whether you do or don't: their satisfaction is in saving lives. Let them save yours. You'll make them happy.

#169802 - 03/20/09 11:45 AM Re: A sad reinder [Re: bws48]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: bws48
And PLEASE, listen to the advice of the EMS people on scene and do what they ask/suggest. They get the same (usually poor or no) pay whether you do or don't: their satisfaction is in saving lives. Let them save yours. You'll make them happy.

AMEN! About the paychecks, AND job satisfaction. Besides, chances are, they've actually seen a patient like you before, where usually, it's one's first time with a nice head trauma.

#169803 - 03/20/09 12:11 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: MDinana]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Yes, extremely tragic.

My sister was in a car accident at 16 and among the injuries (not the most serious of them) was head trauma.

At age 35, she began suffering a series of seizures and is now on medication for the rest of her life. Doctors said it is fairly common to begin having seizures many years after a head trauma incurred from sports injuries, falls and car accidents.

Her youth at the time of the accident was key to recovering from severe spinal injury but the brain effect would emerge nearly 20 years later.

Natasha Richardson's death will raise awareness of head injury treatment and that will probably save a few lives.

I will miss her as an actress and feel badly for her family, which includes two kids.

#169814 - 03/20/09 01:56 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Since my concussion from snowmobiling a week ago I can really relate to the need to wear a helmet. I put off going to the hospital for 2 days and should have went immediately; I can still feel pressure in my forehead and my face is still a little numb but most of the pain is gone thankfully.

I read that concussions can be cumulative, so since the accident I have been remembering all the times I have hit my head and not gone for medical treatment. I have been a very lucky man.

My helmet saved my life.

Mike

#169815 - 03/20/09 02:05 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: SwampDonkey]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
My brother was using his step-stool to take get some lumber off his garage rafters. When he stepped up he clanged his noodle on the garage door track. It is one of those 1920's East Coast garages where the track is only about 6 1/2 feet off the ground. Needless to say he was seeing stars. As a matter of fact he had to leave work early that night, he only lasted about two hours. The very next day he and I were in the Big Orange Home Improvement Store. We saw they were selling hard hats sporting the logo of our favorite NFL team. He snatched one up. Now every time he thinks about looking up into the rafters on goes the helmet. He has since bonked his noggin a few times without incident. While it has almost turned into a running gag, it is greatly appreciated when I remind him to put on the helmet.

#169817 - 03/20/09 02:10 PM Re: A sad reinder [Re: SwampDonkey]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
One thing to add:

It's a morbid topic, but I used the coverage of the Richardson accident to initiate a discussion of "end of life issues" with my family. Often people my age don't think to have these discussions, as we're still young and unlikely to die. A tragedy like this one can help people to realize that even relatively young, healthy people, need to have these discussions. Ending life support for a loved one is a horrible decision to have to make, but it becomes a little easier if you know it's what they woud have wanted.

I let my wife know that if I ever suffer a catastrophic brain injury like this one, I'd be smiling from where ever I was watching as my vital organs were harvested to save the lives of others. I encourage others to make the same decision, though obviously your personal belief system will control.

But please, have the conversation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.