Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#167736 - 02/24/09 07:00 AM 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness?
dirtt Offline
Stranger

20mm (.7 inches roughly) glass signal mirror the size of a 20mm button compass

Would a signal mirror this small be effective at signaling up to 5-10 miles? I read on this site somewhere that size plays a role in distance, is there a rule of thumb on size for distance?

If I cut down a piece of old mirror and polished up the edges, coated the back in rubber and packed it along would it be almost as effective as my traditional signaling mirror, minus the aiming hole of course?

The reason I ask is the Rat Cutlery fire steel has a small capsule built into the handle that would fit something like this, I think it would be very handy to be able to fit compass, mirror and whistle in this little compartment. I could probably stuff the remaning space with a vacuum sealed cuben fiber tarp to take the place of an AMK heatsheet for wind and rain protection.

What do you guys think, ludicrous?

Also, have you ever seen anything manufactured this small?

#167741 - 02/24/09 09:40 AM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: dirtt]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK, this one made me smile.

(How about stuffing the handle of that fire stick full of dry tinder so it works as an emergency fire starter?)

#167745 - 02/24/09 12:29 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: scafool]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A mirrorlike that would be similar in size to the inside top of the so-called "5 in 1 Survival Whistle." See: http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CM%20W400_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]

I've got a couple, which I have in kits, mostly because I like the whistle with the hollow inside for inserting some makings for fire. The part of this whistle I like least is the so-called signalling mirror. It's not a mirror, but seems to be a piece of shiny silver cardboard like one might find in a frozen food package.

A real mirror as you propose is likely to be a lot more effective should the need to signal arise. A larger mirror is probably going to be more visible, it's going to reflet more light. But the smaller one should be better than nothing.

#167746 - 02/24/09 12:52 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: dirtt]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
If I cut down a piece of old mirror and polished up the edges, coated the back in rubber and packed it along would it be almost as effective as my traditional signaling mirror, minus the aiming hole of course?

You could use the 19mm 4-6 wave optical flat mirror available here;

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2077

although aiming the mirror would probably be very tricky although not impossible. Higher precision mirrors are available for bouncing laser light around without the beam diverging but they are considerably more expensive.

It would be an interesting experiment if you could compare its performance against a commercial polycarbonate aiming mirror you can pick up for around the same cost.

19mm circular flat mirror = 283mm squared
Typical Adventure Medical Kit Rescue mirror = 3500 mm squared

So the 19mm will reflect less than 12.5 times less light or probably around 10 times (assuming the 19mm mirror is more efficient). The 19mm beam will probably be less divergent than the commercial polycarbonate mirror because it will have a flatter surface.

I would have to say the 19mm mirror wouldn't be as effective mainly due to the aiming problem and the reduced size of the mirror.

#167749 - 02/24/09 01:27 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: dirtt]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Well, folks have been rescued using the hologram on a credit card as an improvised signal mirror. That's pretty darn small. Far from the best, but better than nothing.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#167756 - 02/24/09 02:31 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
True, if you are looking for something to fabricate a signaling device in the field. For planning a 20mm glass mirror would be better than many other options and would carry easily, but it should be considered a back-up. You might want to get outside and do some empirical testing to see for yourself.

#167762 - 02/24/09 03:01 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: Russ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Actually it wasn't the mirror that made me smile.
Cuben fiber is the cloth used for the spinnaker sails of modern racing yachts. It is very strong, light and all that, very techie stuff. It is a carbon and polyester fiber laminated fabric. Carbon for strength, polyester for flex.
Yes, very strong and light, also quite pricey.

And yes it is true the ultralight backpackers are trying it out for tents, tarps and hammocks. (Even though there are still some slight problems with the carbon fibers fatiguing when sharply folded.)

However, I think he would have a problem stuffing it into that small of a capsule, especially when he is talking about using it to fill waste space.

(If he succeeds I want to see pictures, and then I might invest in the idea.)

Edited by scafool (02/24/09 03:06 PM)

#167799 - 02/24/09 07:32 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: scafool]
dirtt Offline
Stranger

I'm going to cut some mirror up\order it and test it with a partner using 2way radios. Ill let eveyone know how it turns out.

In regards to the cuben, it is pricey. Its about $19 a square meter direct from cubic tech with a minimum order of 9 meters or about $26 per square yard from a fabric supply. I made a rain shell out of the .33 oz stuff using a tape adhesive from 3m and it is very light. Total weight is a little over 1oz and very warm. %100 waterproof and windproof but not breathable, think sauna without incoporating pit zips.

This fabric gets people laughing, my family thinks its funny im making bacpacking gear out of "cuban garbage bags" but it really is great stuff.

#167800 - 02/24/09 07:37 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: scafool]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is one reason I think 'little'of knives with hollow handles or tang compartments to carry kit.
People start tailoring the gear to the premise of fitting, not working. This was a fad on survival sites some years back. I think the guy who announced a spent .22LR shell was his signal whistle epitomy of this trend. I never received a reply to my question 'do you use the shell AFTER you kill a charging grizzley bear with your M6 with the fancy paracord forearm or just use one for making a fire?
People are buying $350, 2 lb, 1/4' thick knives and stuffing them with crackerjack prize kit.

#167803 - 02/24/09 07:47 PM Re: 20mm Signal mirrors effectiveness? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dirtt Offline
Stranger

No offense but the mirror would be used to blind the bear, not shoot it. The spent .22Lr is for whistling dixie afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.