Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166898 - 02/11/09 03:43 PM Where can I find a Doorjammer?
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
It's recommended in Paxton Quigley's book, Not an Easy Target. See it here (under DoorJammer): http://www.paxtonquigley.com/doorjammer.html

I like the design of this one better than those adjustable door braces (http://www.carvaluesplus.com/security/jammer.htm), but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any leads would be appreciated!

#166900 - 02/11/09 03:55 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Home Depot/Lowe's usually has them in the Master padlock area. If not that area, try door hardware.

RIP OBG

#166905 - 02/11/09 05:06 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: Desperado]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

where do you use it for? Your home door or for traveling. For traveling there are a few models. Or go for simple and cheap and buy wegdes from a hardware store. Cheap as chips and really strong.

#166907 - 02/11/09 05:13 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
A question is what is the purpose? Is it to lock yourself into a room from intruders, give yourself some time to prepare for an assault into the room, or give yourself some passive defense in a hotel or guest home.

As a basic passive deterrent buy a simple $2 door wedge. Kick it under the door frame close to the jam. Regardless if a man is kicking the deadbolt or snapping the chain, the door wont budge back unless its literally ripped from the hinges.

In fact even if the door has no lock, it will be darn near impossible to open the door with the wedge under it.

#166908 - 02/11/09 05:41 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: Tjin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The one on Quigley's website is the only one that exists, apparently. The photo is poor, she doesn't provide a link.

All the door jammers I could find are bars that you stick under the doorknob, except for this one http://www.911zone.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=20&cat=Door+%26+Window+Jammers

And if that is indeed the one, Quigley should pay attention and get the name right. AND provide a link or source.

Sue

#166909 - 02/11/09 05:57 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
One downfall of this design is that it can only be used with solid-core, inherently sturdy doors. Since this product only braces the bottom part of the door, instead of the middle doorknob section like the alternatives, a hollow-cardboard-core door (e.g., interior doors) will simply break at the bottom where the DoorJammer braces it. The alternatives that brace against the doorknob section are much better (although not perfect) for hollow-cardboard-core doors, as they reinforce a section of the door that is already made stronger by the doorknob being latched and/or locked into the doorframe.

#166913 - 02/11/09 07:16 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
One downfall of this design is that it can only be used with solid-core, inherently sturdy doors.

That reminds me of that silly Naked Gun movie where OJ tries to kick in the door and gets his leg stuck in the splintered mess.

#166914 - 02/11/09 07:58 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: haertig]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
If you are traveling then a normal rubber/plastic door stop
will work, just remember to cut a bit of the tip off so
anyone on the outside will not know the position of the stop.
The blunt tip will make it more difficult to tap out from the outside but not affect use of the Jam.

#166915 - 02/11/09 08:13 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

A bit off topic but I just browsed that website and found this little "gem" on the Useless Weapons page:
http://www.paxtonquigley.com/useless_weapons.html

Quote:
Knife from $9 to $299

The knife is not useful for self-defense because it has no stopping power - in many fights 20 to 30 knife wounds have to be inflicted before the opponent will stop coming at you.

PROS - Deadly in the hands of professionals (on both sides of the law).

CONS - If you're thinking about defending yourself with a knife, you better have won some knife fights or it'll be taken from you in a heartbeat.

For the record, I have absolutely no idea who Paxton Quigley is but the above is, well, ridiculous. Sure, a knife may not be a good self-defense weapon for a lot of people. But that thing about a sharp blade having "no stopping power" really says it all.

If I were you, I'd just take everything Mrs. Quigley says with a big grain of salt.

And yes, a door wedge of any kind is at best only as good as the door itself. Which in practice means you'd be better off looking for some more effective solution.

#166916 - 02/11/09 08:15 PM Re: Where can I find a Doorjammer? [Re: frediver]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: frediver
If you are traveling then a normal rubber/plastic door stop
will work, just remember to cut a bit of the tip off so
anyone on the outside will not know the position of the stop.
The blunt tip will make it more difficult to tap out from the outside but not affect use of the Jam.

Great point. In hotels with interior-only room access the gap between the door and the floor can be signficant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.