Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166538 - 02/06/09 12:20 AM Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare?
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Could this be a much cheaper alternative to the Greatland LASER flare for emergency signalling?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12337

http://www.equipped.org/rescuelaser.htm

#166543 - 02/06/09 12:45 AM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would never trust anything from GearExtreme with my life. I've seen several things they've sold, and lets just say they were underwhelming.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#166567 - 02/06/09 07:37 AM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: ironraven]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Not for USAmericans smile
Quote:
United States Customers Only: due to new regulations enforced by the US FDA and PayPal, orders of >5mW lasers units shipped to the United States are no longer accepted. Orders that were previously accepted and unshipped will be cancelled and refunded to customers. This affects United States orders only.

Important FDA Warning for all >5mW Lasers: FDA advices all customers that these lasers may be purchased only if you are NOT a citizen of the United States and you are NOT currently living in the United States.
- 30mW Green Laser Module
- Simply twists the front lens ring and the laser will fill a wall with kaleidoscopic green laser dots
- Unique toy that puts on a laser show anywhere and anytime you want
- Powered by 2 x AAA batteries

Its hard to compare lasers without specs,
but a few in the same price range as greenland,
the range of 30mW green lasers is 10 miles,
50mW 25 miles, 80mW is 35 miles.
The greenland Green Rescue Laser Flare is 30miles.
Lasers in the price range of the one you linked to say the range "in excess of 6000 feet." which means 6001feet smile
So besides being apparently illegal for USAmericans to buy, they don't sound that great, but might be better than an actual flare smile

#166568 - 02/06/09 11:01 AM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
DealExtreme is a Chinese retailer of Chinese-made cheap gadgets. While I personally believe DX tries to operate on the same level as Western retailers when they can - in terms of truth-in-advertising etc - their Chinese suppliers are *not* particuarly honest or safety conscious.

You need to understand that the specs on DX's web pages are manufacturer claims. There's no telling how much 532nm green that "30mW" laser produces, and much more important, there's no telling how much 1064nm infrared it emits, and it's the 1064nm that's dangerous. A badly made 30mW greenie can easily put out enough 1064nm to blind you and since you can't see it you won't know until afterwards.

A red laser won't put out any infrared. Blue will. Ultraviolet lasers (parts salvaged from consumer BluRay players) won't but they have their own hazards.

Bottom line: for red it's not dangerous to give DX a try, but for green stick to someone reputable like
Atlas Nova . That link goes to a model with several beam patterns other than a point, also important for a rescue laser, and it won't leave your rescuer blind (SAR people appreciate that).

#166603 - 02/06/09 07:20 PM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For anyone who doesn't know why the U.S. is a bit down on these green lasers, here is why http://www.photonics.com/Content/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=30198

"Pilots have reported more than 900 laser incidents nationally since the Federal Aviation Administration began recording them in late 2004." (And that was dated 7-2007.)

A local schmuck kept his green laser fixed on a police helicopter so long that they were able to alert a ground patrol, who arrested the idiot.

Sue

#166611 - 02/06/09 08:22 PM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: Susan]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Susan
For anyone who doesn't know why the U.S. is a bit down on these green lasers, here is why http://www.photonics.com/Content/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=30198

"Pilots have reported more than 900 laser incidents nationally since the Federal Aviation Administration began recording them in late 2004." (And that was dated 7-2007.)

A local schmuck kept his green laser fixed on a police helicopter so long that they were able to alert a ground patrol, who arrested the idiot.

Sue

Plan B: Take it as a given that some SOB is going to fire a beam riding missile at you and stick a H.A.R.M with a frag warhead down his or her throat.

That should discourage such behaviour quite nicely.

#166646 - 02/07/09 01:12 PM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'd love to know the difference in distance visibility between a upper-end LED light (like a Fenix or Surefire single CR123 version) in flashing mode and a Greatland Rescue Laser Flare.

I have both and would like to test it, but unfortunately I don't live near mountains nor do I own a helicopter (darn!). The single CR123 LED lights are VERY bright and much smaller & lighter ... and of course more multi-purpose.

#166656 - 02/07/09 04:38 PM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: ironraven]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I would never trust anything from GearExtreme with my life.

Don't be so quick to judge; half of my Recyko stock is from Deal Extreme. grin

www.kravmagafederation.com

#166659 - 02/07/09 07:06 PM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Susan

To some degree these are exaggerated concerns: battery-power hand-held greenies simply can't put enough energy into a cockpit to damage the eyes except at takeoff or landing & if you get lucky. The beam dispersion is too great. Loss of night vision is the only potential issue.

(my lasers have all come with beam quality measurements and it's straightforward to calculate the diameter of the laser spot at a distance and the power loss)

(not to mention the sheer difficulty of hitting a target with a narrow invisible beam - I assume a rescue laser is useless unless it has an output pattern other than a point since you can't hit a rescuer in the sky with a narrow beam)

The real risk is medical helicopters as they need to get close enough to the ground to be at risk. Other aircraft shouldn't be in that position (due to hazards to everyone on the ground when they crash into a power line etc).

Goggles that block 532nm green work very well and are inexpensive. I believe the Air Force has incorporated 532nm blocking for a while.

Infrared lasers are another story. They are extremely dangerous because the beam cannot be seen and does not trigger the blink reflex. Every DPSS laser (green, blue, yellow) has an infrared laser to power it and if it's made poorly can easily blind people. This is the reason for the FDA regs cited on the Deal Extreme site, not aircraft.

#166668 - 02/08/09 12:01 AM Re: Could this be an alternative to the LASER flare? [Re: Rodion]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The electronics I've seen from them are all on sketchy side of bad, particularly in terms of "does it look like it will keep the water out". The few stitched items all had horrible stitching. And for the tiny number of tritium capsules that made it to the states (not their fault, in all honesty) were very dim, like they'd been sitting in a warehouse for a few half lives or there was very little tritium and a lot of something else (which I would call their fault). Those all point to a systemic QC issue, that's why I say I wouldn't trust them. If you've had better luck, all the more power to you.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.