Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#166215 - 02/03/09 02:46 PM Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
She practiced what we preach.

Missing hiker survives...

#166217 - 02/03/09 03:03 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: lifeview]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
SAR response was fairly quick, methinks maybe too fast. Still, better safe than sorry I suppose.

Just another example how a simple mistake leads to an extreme situation, though in this case well abated. Too bad she didn't bother to check her route at the start. I bet she will from now on. I bet she also starts packing some sort of signalling device as well. A simple GPS and an FRS portable radio would've got her out of the woods the night before, if not avoided the situation altogether. Another good example of what to pack as a minimum.

Good to hear the positive outcome. It could easily have gone much worse.

#166220 - 02/03/09 03:25 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
SAR was right on schedule imho - she sounds very reliable, her roommate reported her overdue. You can't take any time out to wait to see what happens, not with the number of wackos running around out there.

The video at the URL is a great 8 minute object lesson for Scouts and anyone who hikes - what went wrong, what she did in response, what went right. She travelled with a bivvy/hammock, which was great, and what has been discussed in this forum as something good to have Just In Case, it made for a more comfortable night. She didn't have a watch, or a signalling device (whistle), or a match or lighter - basic essentials. I bet she doesn't leave a trailhead ever again without them. She wasn't out there walking unprepared though, she had the goods to spend the night.

Good going, she kept her head, didn't panic, and she had a plan for rescue. She was after all only 10 miles from a trail head, although in wet and cold that can be enough to go the other way. A textbook, good weather dayhike self-rescue.

Edited by Lono (02/03/09 03:29 PM)

#166258 - 02/03/09 06:48 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
SAR was probably faster out looking because of the cold. A broken ankle in sub-freezing temps can be a death sentence.

Funny that she didn't have some firemaking and signaling stuff with her, though. I would have taken those before the hammock.

Pretty good job and mindset, though, once she did realize she was lost.

Sue

#166272 - 02/03/09 07:25 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. If you're equipped for a night out it's not an emergency, it's an adventure. All she needs to add is 1/2 oz of fire making kit and a small signal mirror (if she could see the helo's, they could have seen the flash).

#166288 - 02/03/09 08:51 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Dangerous to hike alone.

Glad she's OK.

#166295 - 02/03/09 09:34 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in forest [Re: lifeview]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Agreed.

R.S. Kit + poncho and cold/wet weather gear.

#166301 - 02/03/09 10:48 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in fore [Re: Dagny]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Dangerous to hike alone.

I have been doing solo hikes for too many years to count and can name 50 different outdoor activities that are more dangerous then hiking alone.

While hiking alone, you need to be prepared, mentally, physically and gear wise. If you meet and continuously follow all three of these requirements, it is a pretty safe activity in my view...

#166308 - 02/03/09 11:34 PM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in fore [Re: lifeview]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's a happy ending.

Thanks for the link!

I have to admit, a bivvy is one thing I'm missing and should add to my short hike PSK. I usually think about the ability to start a fire when I ponder a situation like the hiker faced. I also think in terms of building a debris shelter, but stuffing leaves into a bivvy is certainly more expedient.

I guess I could roll myself up like a burrito into my heatsheet with some leaves as added insulation. lol

#166327 - 02/04/09 12:46 AM Re: Missing hiker survives cold night lost in fore [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Dangerous to hike alone.

I have been doing solo hikes for too many years to count and can name 50 different outdoor activities that are more dangerous then hiking alone.

While hiking alone, you need to be prepared, mentally, physically and gear wise. If you meet and continuously follow all three of these requirements, it is a pretty safe activity in my view...

Are you a woman?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.