Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#165176 - 01/27/09 01:54 AM More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!!
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

on this and other outdoor sites there have been complaints
on how chinzy the match companys had become, reducing the amount of whatever that white chemical is on the strike anywhere match tips.well i picked up a couple box's of Diamond kitchen matches and i see thay now have a blurb on the cover
about their "new look"--the picture shows match heads with lots of white on the tips-- i have no idea of what drove them to beat the bean counters into comming up with a few thousand more gallons to coat the tips but they did the right thing.
a second bit on the cover brags up the "Diamond ignition system"--i had no idea that so many people were still using these big wood matches that the company would react to consumers and bring back the original product.

#165196 - 01/27/09 02:38 AM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Even 20 years ago when I started packing my kits, half of the matches went in a jar just for the wood stove. Fine for home, but unfit for the field.

And yes, I had to have someone buy my matches for me at that age. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#165244 - 01/27/09 10:59 AM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The wooden matches market may be a small market, but it is a market that could flare up at any moment!
(Sorry, couldn't resist that line)

Yes it is a surprise somebody got through to the bean counters that being cheap was costing them market share.
It was likely somebody from marketing and accounting working together to over ride the cut costs at all costs mantra.
You can bet it wasn't charity driving the decision.

Yes it is red phosphorus they use not white.
They are both forms of phosphorus, just the atoms are arranged different in the crystal. White is far more toxic while red is not absorbed by the body as much.

Here is an excerpt about why they quit using white Phosphorus in matches.
Quote:
Phossy jaw
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Phossy jaw, formally phosphorus necrosis of the jaw is a deadly occupational hazard for those who work with white phosphorus without proper safeguards. It was most commonly seen in workers in the match industry in the 19th and early 20th century. Modern occupational hygiene practices have eliminated the conditions which lead to this affliction.

Chronic exposure to the vapour of yellow and white phosphorus, the active ingredient of most matches from the 1840s to the 1910s, caused a deposition of phosphorus in the jaw bones. It also caused serious brain damage. Workers afflicted would begin suffering painful toothaches and swelling of the gums. Over time, the jaw bone would begin to abscess, a process which was both extremely painful and disfiguring to the patient, and repellent to others, since drainage from the dying bone tissue was exceedingly foul-smelling. The jawbones would gradually rot away and would actually glow a greenish-white color in the dark. Surgical removal of the afflicted jaw bones might save the sufferers' life at this point—otherwise, death from organ failure would invariably follow.

The Salvation Army was instrumental in bringing about changes in match manufacturing which eliminated the disease.[1] In some nations, legislative action was required to force these changes on a reluctant industry.[2] The use of white and yellow phosphorus was prohibited by the Berne Convention, a treaty established in Berne in 1906.

A related condition, osteonecrosis of the jaw, has been described as a side-effect of bisphosphonates, a class of phosphorus-based drugs that inhibit bone resorption, and are used widely for treating osteoporosis, bone disease in cancer and some other conditions.[3]

The numbers in brackets are for the footnotes at the bottom of the full article page.

Edited by scafool (01/27/09 11:11 AM)

#165265 - 01/27/09 02:51 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hah, back when we were kids, we discovered that the strike anywhere matches would just fit in the barrels of our pump pellet guns, and when fired at a hard surface from a short distance, would snap like a cap and ignite. This led to the discovery that match heads could be used as a propellant, and could detonate inside a cavity when impacted. Eventually, we invented our own form of a mortar by drilling out the end of 5/8" rebar and placing a set number of match heads inside the cavity and inserting a bolt that would smash the match heads when the rebar was dropped onto a hard concrete surface, namely our driveway. We used a 5' long piece of two inch galvanized pipe as the mortar tube, and created a few rebar rounds and proceeded to launch our deadly little projectiles into the adjacent semi wooded area next to our house. The detonation was just soft enough that no one in the neighborhood detected it, and we usually found most of the rebar that we fired.

One day a neighbor kid suggested we make a bigger version and use more match heads and see what happens. So throwing good sense completely out the window, we got a longer piece of rebar, drilled the hole much deeper in the end, and packed a whole lot of match heads into it. When that rebar hit the concrete, it went off with a loud whack, and the rebar, which we could normally track as it left the tube, left our location for parts unknown, and none of us having a clue where. That wasn't the worst of it, for the bolt that was in the end of the rebar was now stuck deeply into the driveway, and the concrete had a spiderweb pattern of cracks radiating away from the impact point.

Needless to say, when dad got home, we got inquisited (dad always seemed to know that such damage was usually the result of our misbehaving). We had to come clean and got hided good for it, and sent to the wood pile for a couple weeks.

Then there was the time we tried to make little rockets out of match heads and tin foil, and ended up starting a mini forest fire behind our house. We lost a lotta hide back then...

#165268 - 01/27/09 03:04 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
So throwing good sense completely out the window, we got a longer piece of rebar, drilled the hole much deeper in the end, and packed a whole lot of match heads into it. When that rebar hit the concrete, it went off with a loud whack, and the rebar, which we could normally track as it left the tube, left our location for parts unknown, and none of us having a clue where. That wasn't the worst of it, for the bolt that was in the end of the rebar was now stuck deeply into the driveway, and the concrete had a spiderweb pattern of cracks radiating away from the impact point.

This story sounds more like something Blast would be responsible for.

I think we all have our little destructive stories from youth.

#165271 - 01/27/09 03:14 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
So throwing good sense completely out the window,

...leads to great childhood memories, doesn't it?

Some pretty good adult times, too. grin

-Blast, learning he isn't alone
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#165278 - 01/27/09 03:41 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i hope anyone foolish enought to try tricks with match heads uses paper safety matches--using a strike anywhere will lead to a flare-up the second you try and force them into a pipe.
yes--as a kid i did stuff like that but i don't want to give any details and have a 10 year old read this and blow a finger off..the point to my post was that wood kitchen matches are now made better for survival use.----hummm..thats sounds a bit grumpy--but i'm only my first cup of AM coffee....and don't drink coffee kids it will stunt your growth!!!!

#165291 - 01/27/09 05:23 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
I just picked up three boxes of Diamond strike anywhere matches with the new look logo on the box. Compared to the previous version, they look the same with worse quality control. In other words, no discernible improvement and may even worse quality than before. Nice "new look"...

#165313 - 01/27/09 06:52 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: CSG]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Am I the only one who read the title and thought it was worded a bit weird? I mean my brain processed "More whites on the strike than anywhere" and I was thinking.. more white people on strike than before? Huh...

hahaha

#165319 - 01/27/09 07:36 PM Re: More White On The Strike Anywheres!!!! [Re: CSG]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: CSG
I just picked up three boxes of Diamond strike anywhere matches with the new look logo on the box. Compared to the previous version, they look the same with worse quality control. In other words, no discernible improvement and may even worse quality than before. Nice "new look"...

So a simple marketing play on the package graphics.
Well! That just burns me up!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.