Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#164792 - 01/24/09 02:32 AM Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20
tommyb Offline
Stranger

Loc: Mississippi

The episode of 20/20 tonight(1/23/09) has been rather good so far. Show title: "Live to Tell:Who Lives? Who Dies?" is about advice on surviving a life-and-death crisis, such as a plane crash, a fire or a boat sinking.

I know it's short notice, but maybe the west-coasters can catch it - half way through the show central time.

Bottom line seems, to be aware and have an escape plan. Very few people are able to process and act on new information in a short period of time, seconds only. Most people actually freeze during a crisis instead of panicking. One of their experts described it as the brain getting caught in an infinite loop trying to find the correct reaction to an event you have never experienced before.

-Tommy

#164800 - 01/24/09 03:35 AM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: tommyb]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
oh well. next time.

#164819 - 01/24/09 09:44 AM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: tommyb]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Darn, I missed it!

Hopefully it will be aired again at a later date.

#164840 - 01/24/09 04:37 PM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: Nicodemus]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I caught the last part of this, the part dealing with the mtn. lion attack.

I thought it was interesting how much they focused on the intangible things like how having faith saved this woman's life when all seemed lost and gave pretty short shrift to the folks who actually saved her life by scaring off the lion.

Not trying to denigrate anyone's religious beliefs, I simply found it interesting. They talked about her faith and her beliefs for several minutes, then almost as an aside they mentioned the 3 guys who rolled up, one of whom hit the lion with a rock causing it to drop the victim's head. In fairness, they had about a 10 second clip of the rock thrower telling his story.

An interesting take on what must have been a pretty terrifying incident.

Kudos to the woman's friend who stuck around and was apparently playing tug of war with the lion using the victim as the item being tugged.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#164844 - 01/24/09 05:54 PM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: JohnE]
tommyb Offline
Stranger

Loc: Mississippi

Two of the segments seemed to focus on the faith issues. The other story was about a man that was cut in half by a train car. Not necessary religion only, but faith or not wanting to let their family down is characteristic of people who survive these situations. In the other segments, awareness, knowledge, and planning seemed to be key.

The first story was about "The Station" nightclub fire. This one many people didn't react quickly to the fire and when they did they all tried to get out the exit they had entered from. It was more of the psychology of the survivors. This is were the expert explained that many people get stuck in a loop trying to evaluate a response to a situation they have never experienced before.

The second story was the DC10 crash in Sioux City. The people had about 44 minutes to prepare themselves. One survivor talked about how he located the nearest emergency exits and planned how he would open it. After the crash he ended still strapped in his seat upside down, but still had the presence of mind to get out of the seat, locate an exit (hole in the fuselage), and help others get moving.

The third story was a 10 year old girl in Indonesia that recognized signs of the tsunami and convince her parents and a few others to leave the beach.

I would say go to the abcnews website but that is the most awful design I've seen in long time.

-Tommy

#164852 - 01/24/09 07:45 PM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: tommyb]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Have to make a correction, I wasn't watching 20/20, I was watching Dateline NBC last night that apparently was also doing a show on surviving various events.

My apologies.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#164963 - 01/25/09 04:49 PM Re: Surviving life-and-death situations on 20/20 [Re: JohnE]
bilojax Offline

The clips are up on the website, if anybody wants to watch it.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 130 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.