Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#164304 - 01/22/09 02:08 AM Able to help...
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have finally gotten a chance to intervene and help someone. They may not have been looking for it but they got it anyway. Here’s the skinny. It was 5 degrees F. My son and I were on our way home tonight after I picked him up from youth group Bible study. I know, I know, we could have been coming home if I hadn’t picked him up first. We’ll leave that for another discussion. As we were approaching a traffic light I saw a car just stopped in the middle of the road. There were no flashers on. So, I decided to stop and see if something was going on. I pulled my car over past the stopped one and put on my flashers. I checked my rear view mirror to see if anyone was in the car. I saw two heads. I got out and headed to the car. The driver got out. We talked about what was going on. He had already called someone for help. I told him that I had a couple of fleece blankets in the car if he needed them. He didn’t. I also let him know I had an emergency reflective triangle we could put behind his car. He accepted it. I just didn’t want him to get whacked. So, he has my triangle and my address card if wants to return the triangle. So there you have it. I was finally able to help someone with my preparedness stuff. Nifty. grin

#164321 - 01/22/09 03:51 AM Re: Able to help... [Re: MoBOB]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, kudos to you for stopping to check. Most people would drive on by, either out of fear or indifference.

I imagine you had your radar scanning for any funny business.

If in doubt, it would have been appropriate to contact the authorities, who are trained and paid to deal with funny stuff.

But regardless of those basic practicalities, it occurs to me that perhaps you planted a seed. A small, decent act can be paid forward in ways you can't imagine and won't see. It's an act of faith.

I sincerely hope you get your triangle back.

#164326 - 01/22/09 04:14 AM Re: Able to help... [Re: dougwalkabout]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I can't count how many times I've pulled over and offered help repairing a vehicle, tools, a ride, use of my cellphone, water, oil, antifreeze, a jumpstart, and other stuff to complete strangers on the side of the road.

We rolled up one day on a Dodge Caravan with 3 people in it out in the woods, roughly 10 miles from the nearest paved road. They broke their axle about 5 minutes before we pulled up. I asked if they needed a tow back to pavement, the driver said yes. I hooked my tow strap to their van, and pulled them back to the road. They had a friend with a trailer come get it and take it home. The driver kept offering me money, I told him I couldn't take his money, but that he should pass along the favor to someone else.

People are amazed that a stranger would just pull over and help. I just figure what comes around goes around, maybe one day I'll be the one needing help.

#164339 - 01/22/09 04:57 AM Re: Able to help... [Re: MoBOB]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Kinda feels good huh?

RIP OBG

#164340 - 01/22/09 05:07 AM Re: Able to help... [Re: MoBOB]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If the triangle doesn't come back it is OK too.
You might have saved a life and every time he sees it he will be reminded of somebody doing him a good turn.

#164382 - 01/22/09 02:55 PM Re: Able to help... [Re: scafool]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
It does feel good.

My son dropped the "clue grenade" on me on the way home. He said "You know that hook on it? It's for hanging the triangle from the outside of the side window."

You live and learn.

#164383 - 01/22/09 03:20 PM Re: Able to help... [Re: MoBOB]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Good for your son, you can also use that to hang it from the trunk/hatch lock if you want to get it up in the air a little bit.

Good onya for stopping.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.