Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162435 - 01/11/09 06:05 PM About first aid kits?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
We all should have first aid kits with us, with us in vehicles and in our workplaces right...

So my question is:
What items are you always running out of, and what items are past their expiry date because they never get used?

#162438 - 01/11/09 06:10 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: scafool]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Bandages and meds. I try to rotate the bandages to training when they reach their expiration date. I do not keep IV fluids in my personal kit.

#162439 - 01/11/09 06:12 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
EXP DATE:

All consumables except OTC pain relievers and anti-acid

RUN OUT:

Nominally: Specialty Band-Aids (finger tip, knuckle, etc.), tape, blister "stuff" (kids sports/dance), instant cold packs, OTC pain relievers and anti-acid.

Emergency: 4x4's, Kerlix, and on occasion Ab-Pads or Feminine Hygiene Pads. (MAJOR blood stopping "stuff")

RIP OBG

#162444 - 01/11/09 06:19 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: scafool]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: scafool
So my question is:
What items are you always running out of, and what items are past their expiry date because they never get used?

I just went through the periodic ritual of replenishing our Troop's primary FAK. Seems like with a bunch of boys and dads in the woods on a regular basis, we go through a lot of antiseptic spray, burn gel, eye wash, and various size bandages and adhesive pads. Moleskin gets sliced up into various sized pads during hiking trips too.

The stuff that's always expiring is the OTC meds... pain meds like aspirin, Tylenol, Motrin, and other treatments like Benadryl, Immodium, Pepto, etc. The creams and sprays would expire, but, we seem to use enough that we replace them regularly.

Fortunately, the more major trauma stuff isn't used often. If we start going through Israeli bandages in large quantities for example, I think my days as a Scoutmaster would be very limited grin

- Ron

#162568 - 01/12/09 11:16 AM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: Be_Prepared]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Maybe I should have asked how often you check them too.

Our first aid boxes on the job sites were always running out of small band-aides.

#162575 - 01/12/09 11:58 AM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: scafool]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

On Saturday 6 of us went to help people affected by floods. There were 2 former Firefighters / 1st Responders amongst us.

The two large first aid kits we took was almost plenty. We treated 71 people for minor cuts and aches. One person was sent to hospital to have a leg wound cleaned and stitched up.

We handed out a ton of spare bandages of all kinds, gauze, tape and Ibuprofen / Tylenol sample packets (Thanks to a charitible and helpful Doctor) throughout the day. The only items we ran short on were examination gloves and tape...but there was just enough to finish the day. The first aid kits also came into use to help treat and wrap one dog's paw and and clean up one horse after he spooked and caught his neck on some barbed wire.

#162614 - 01/12/09 04:12 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: gonewiththewind]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Bandages and meds. I try to rotate the bandages to training when they reach their expiration date.

How important is this? Bandaids end up disintegrating over the years...or get brittle. But many ace bandages, gauze components, etc., seem to usually have expiration dates. I've kept and used them long past (years) expiration date. Why do they have them?

It's one thing to keep meds and preps current but cloth items?

Can anyone educate me here?

With the number of first aid components between all the kits and the house, I don't think I could stay current without a 2nd job! It took years to build up.

#162629 - 01/12/09 05:02 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: yeti]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
You point out one problem with the bandages, they lose flexibility, before that happens though, the adhesives will be far less effective. Everyone's probably pulled out a bandage that doesn't stick. It's particularly a problem when your FAK has to endure multiple heat/cold cycles, like in a car. Fortunately, it's the adhesive strips and pads that seem to get the most use for us, so they naturally get rotated.

- Ron

#162643 - 01/12/09 05:24 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: Be_Prepared]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Everyone's probably pulled out a bandage that doesn't stick..."

Oh yeah. I have had better luck with name brand flexible fabric type bandaids, as opposed to store brand plastics...

#163842 - 01/19/09 02:24 PM Re: About first aid kits? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I've seen expiration dates on gauze pads, gauze wraps, etc. Purpose? Marketing? There is no elastic in them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.