Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161946 - 01/08/09 06:37 PM Indispensible DIY tools
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I just finished reading an article in a magazine on the top 10 DIY tools that every homeowner should have (or something like that). It got me thinking about which tools everybody should have on hand. I guess I've always been lucky and have access to more tools than a Home Depot. But often when going over to a friends place, they'll ask me to fix something for them, and usually they won't even have a decent pliers or screwdriver in the house, so you have to resort to some creative substitutions to get things done.

So I was thinking about making a basic list of just the most essential tools people should have around the house in an emergency, or just what I would like them to have in case I'm over there on a sunday night trying to fix something

1) 10"-12" adjustable wrench - This can be used to turn off gas or water mains, plus just comes in handy for bolts and stuff.

2) 2 pipe wrenches - Sometimes you can get away with 1, but it's always better to use 2 otherwise you can turn a small repair into a big one

3) Hammer - For those things that need a gentle nudge. A 3 lb sledge is pretty handy too, but a regular framing hammer is adequate

4) Electric drill/driver, drill bits, and drywall screws - If duct tape can't hold it, drywall screws can. I know an electric drill needs electricity, but a battery operated drill just won't last very long driving screws. And most people who don't have many tools, won't keep a cordless drill charged anyway, so you'll need electricty one way or another. I assume most people would have some type of extensions cords laying around, but if not that would also need to be added.

5) Pry bar - no explanation needed

6) Set of screwdrivers - 3 phillips, 3 flat head, in the most common sizes. A 4-in-1 screwdriver with the reversible bits is pretty handy most of the time, but there are some things that need a regular screwdriver

7) Channellock/slip joint pliers - Not always the best tool for the job, but a very versatile one

8) Vise Grip - Similar to #7. There are times when these are a lifesaver. Pliers are the one thing that can't really be improvised.

9) Utility knife - Steak knives are for cutting steak, not for home repairs

10) Small Soldering iron - a lot of home repairs are just loose wires or bad connections

These are just tools that would be useful to have around in an emergency, it won't cover all situations, just the importants ones. They don't even have to be the expensive name brand tools, you can probably pick up everything on the list for <$50. I have never seen a hand tool wear out, so buying used is a good way to save money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something important, other people probably have better suggestions

FYI, here was the list from the magazine (or most of what I could remember). Keep in mind it's probably aimed torward the DIY homeowner for minor projects, not necessarily emergency repairs

1) Pry bar
2) Tool belt
3) Y-shaped allen wrench (for assembing the ikea furniture that uses hex screws)?
4) Plumb bob
5) Cat's paw
6) block plane
7) Jewelers screwdrivers
8) Putty knife
9) & 10) I can't remember

#161958 - 01/08/09 07:40 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Well, that list could be improved a little IMHO. I don't think a block plane is really a necessity for basic repairs though it might come in handy. You could also live with fewer pliers. But I can think of quite a few important things not covered in any of the two lists:

- good or at least decent files and rasps (Microplane works great for wood and soft materials)
- wire/bolt cutters
- various hex and Torx bits
- paint thinner/White spirit, alcohol and acetone
- metal hacksaw w/ at least 2 quality blades
- handsaw (for wood & laminated)
- at least one combo sharpening stone
- basic set of wood chisels
- small propane torch (necessary for soldering, heating stuff, even heat treating small improvised tools in a pinch)
- if at all possible, a machinist (bench) vise; if there is no room for a work bench, get a folding one
- at least 4 clamps
- 4" angle grinder with cutting (thin ones) and grinding discs (both stone and flapwheels for sanding)
- maybe a bench grinder with one coarse and one fine wheel; the ones with one wheel and a small belt grinder on the other side are very useful, too.

If you add those to your list you will be well equipped for most repairs around the house. Some of those tools require a little skill, but definitely less than using a block plane properly. smile

Hand tools certainly wear out with heavy use but a second hand, quality hand tool in usable condition will be a much better investment than the super cheap Chinese crap you get at the hardware store. Stay away from the dirt cheap stuff because it really is bad - screwdrivers softer than butter on a warm day, $1 hammers with a cast iron head that shatters if you drop it on the floor accidentally, I've seen them all. wink

#161961 - 01/08/09 07:44 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

gloves, tape measure, bunch of small nails

#161966 - 01/08/09 07:49 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: TeacherRO]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Don't forget a phone book to call in an expert when things go awry!!

#161968 - 01/08/09 08:02 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you have any wood or weeds/grass or just dirt on your property, to really handy firefighting tools, a pulaski and a McLeod . Those are fantastic tools!!!

#161975 - 01/08/09 08:42 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Tom L and TeacherRO forgot to mention a tool box to keep them in.

I would also add a bit of plumbing stuff. Enough to fix a leaking faucet at least.

#161977 - 01/08/09 09:01 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: el_diabl0]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Don't forget a phone book to call in an expert when things go awry!!
+1!

to fix what you just repaired.

#161981 - 01/08/09 09:11 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: el_diabl0]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
What's a "phone book"?

#161982 - 01/08/09 09:15 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: bsmith]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Read the same magazine, their list was taken from their editors, they each chose a "indispensable" DIY tool, I assume that if there were any duplications, they made a 2nd choice.

The complete list is as follows:

1. Putty knife

2. Y hex end wrench, didn't mention whether it was metric or SAE but I'd get it in metric if it's for assembling store bought stuff.

3. Cat's Paw nail puller/mini pry bar

4. Needle nose pliers

5. Block plane

6. Tool belt

7. Flat pry bar

8. Plumb bob, string line, string level

9. Jeweler's screwdriver set

10. Pocket socket wrench

11. Ratcheting screwdriver with asst. bits

12. 6" steel rule

13. Multi tool, should be pretty familiar with this crowd...;^)

All in all that's a pretty good list, not sure why there wasn't some sort of hammer mentioned, the article says that these are what the various editors claimed to be their own personal indispensable tools so I guess we're supposed to assume that they also have a tool kit with the most basic of stuff already at hand.

If one already has a hammer, basic screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches and some sort of saw and measuring tape, adding the above would make for a pretty good DIY or around the house tool kit. It used up 4 pages of editorial space in the magazine so it must be good for something...;^)

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#161983 - 01/08/09 09:24 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: JohnE]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I would include a toilet auger.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.