Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162203 - 01/10/09 12:24 AM Interesting LED flashlight...
snoman Offline

Hi all. I just wanted to bring another flashlight to your attention. It has LEDs in front, like a normal flashlight, and also has a row or two of LEDs down the side of the body, to use as a floodlight.

Bayco Nightstick

I've never seen one up close, though it sounds interesting for working on your car or bike. No cord to get in the way.

- Dave

#162206 - 01/10/09 12:49 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I wonder if they will make one with coloured LEDs for directing traffic too.

I don't know if it is true, but I would bet more cops get run over by bad drivers at accident scenes than get shot by criminals.

#162207 - 01/10/09 12:52 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: snoman]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting. I didn't see anything at there site as to length, weight, etc. Bad as it might sound to some, many/most LEO's like a light with some length and weight. Why, some might ask? Because when a badguy you are talking at oh-dark-thirty suddenly rushes you, the fastest, easiest way to handle the situation is to konk him/her on the noggin' with the flashlight you already have in your hand. A short, lightweight, flashlight, no matter how nice a light it might be, won't faze a determined BG...

#162208 - 01/10/09 01:07 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
konk him/her on the noggin' with the flashlight you already have in your hand.

That was the original selling point of the Mag-lite. They were not intended as backpacker specials.

It would be nice to know just how bright this is because the other point about the Mag-lite was that it would pretty much blind anybody if you shone it at their face.
It is hard for the bad guy to respond effectively when he can not see you.

#162211 - 01/10/09 01:55 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
konk him/her on the noggin' with the flashlight you already have in your hand.

That was the original selling point of the Mag-lite. They were not intended as backpacker specials.

It would be nice to know just how bright this is because the other point about the Mag-lite was that it would pretty much blind anybody if you shone it at their face.
It is hard for the bad guy to respond effectively when he can not see you.

Yup, typical technique was to hold the beam a little low to allow a clear look at their face without blinding them and keeping it all friendly. Positioning yourself so the light illuminates your face allows people to see your reassuring smile and tends to calm people. At the first sign of possible resistance you pull your body back and raise the beam to blind them and limit their options. Follow with calming them and some reassurance to deescalate and few questions to determine why they are stressed. If they get froggy they get the back end of the four-D-cell Mag gently buy firmly applied to the soft target deemed most appropriate. It is a sound strategy.

Most police departments no longer allow the carrying of large flashlights because of their possible, and sometimes actual, overuse as a weapon. Homeowners and individual citizens are not so burdened. Just be aware that use of force has to be a last resort in response to a clear and present threat to life and limb. That any serious use of force will likely be second guessed by others who will be wearing suits and sitting in an air conditioned jury room. Act accordingly.

#162213 - 01/10/09 02:05 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...That was the original selling point of the Mag-lite..."

And before that the Kel-Lite. Many of those put knurling marks on the top of a badguys noggin'...

#162217 - 01/10/09 02:09 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...a certain % of State/Highway Police Officers are killed while handing out citations on the side of the road when they are struck by vehicles..."

I have no idea that the % is, but it will be high. Much more dangerous than bullets and knives.

For traffic control, years ago a guy I worked with had a girlfriend who worked at a plastic factory, she got him sheets of a light blue plastic. He would cut out replacement lenses for our flashlights, that blue worked great at night. Drivers see lots of white, red, and amber lights, the blue just jumped out and grabbed their attention...

#162226 - 01/10/09 03:12 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

"...a certain % of State/Highway Police Officers are killed while handing out citations on the side of the road when they are struck by vehicles..."

I have no idea that the % is, but it will be high. Much more dangerous than bullets and knives.

For traffic control, years ago a guy I worked with had a girlfriend who worked at a plastic factory, she got him sheets of a light blue plastic. He would cut out replacement lenses for our flashlights, that blue worked great at night. Drivers see lots of white, red, and amber lights, the blue just jumped out and grabbed their attention...

Here in Alberta all the cop cars use blue flashing lights. It is against the law for anybody else to have them
I think that is the standard in a lot of places now.
Yes blue stands out very well.
It is also the easiest to see in fog, snow or rain.

Our RCMP want you to pull as far off the road as you can, then they try to keep their car at least partly on the pavement, this is to shield them from traffic a bit as they do their job.
Officers still get run over and killed.

#162227 - 01/10/09 03:18 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...cop cars use blue flashing lights..."

Same in Calif., only law enforcement vehicles can have blue lights, but they only supplement the required steady burning red light to the front, that is required of all emergency vehicles in the state. Blue is really an attention getter at night...

#162294 - 01/10/09 04:10 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: Art_in_FL]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
We still carry the "impact weapon of opportunity," as it is described in recert every year..."in case one doesn't have time to draw one's baton."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.