Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160048 - 12/26/08 10:10 PM CO2 Detector Placement
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We moved into a new(er) house a few months ago and as I go through checking things out more I started researching co2 detectors as ours is in the basement. I'm finding some information that says they should be in the hallway outside the bedrooms and other sources says one on each floor like the smoke detectors. I'm wondering where is the best place?
We have a 4 level split house and there are smoke detectors in each level and they are hardwired to a dedicated circuit with 9v batter backup. I was thinking of getting a hardwired co2 detector and adding to that circuit then put a UPS after the breaker so were not relying on 9v batteries ( though I do change them). I also noticed when we set one off while cooking it sounded like all 4 went off. I'm wondering if they transmit a signal across the electric line like the x10 stuff. If I should have more than one co2 detector are there ones I can buy that are hard wired, or possibly a combines co2/smoke detector to replace the existing? Are there ones out there that can set all off is one goes off?

#160057 - 12/26/08 10:45 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Considering everything that we've ever had from walmart had to be replaced by something decent I don't want to throw away $20 times however I need. My mother bought us a sheet set from walmart and we made the mistake of washing before we used it so now we'll not get to use it since the stitching came apart. I'm not going to trust any co2 detector from walmart.

"fat kid on a cake", that's quite a rude comment. I posted here since there are a lot of firefighters EMT on who might know the right place to put one and how many, if you just want to put down "fat" people then I'm sure there are proper forums for that.

#160058 - 12/26/08 10:56 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Eugene]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I assume we are talking Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. I think there are codes regarding placement of CO detectors in the NFPA. If you have any questions, you could also contact an alarm company that is Lffe/Safety licensed. For the most part, there needs to be one for each "sleeping compartment". Think about NG or LP detectors if that applies also.

RIP OBG

#160061 - 12/26/08 11:03 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Funny this topic came up. I just got a bunch of detectors from Home Depot last time I was there.

They have these really nice ones (which I didn't have the money for) that are inter-connected "wireless" so if alarm A goes off in your basement it sets off all the other alarms to alert you sooner smile VERY COOL idea but for $30/each a little more than my budget allowed.

In terms of carbon monoxide and smoke detectors I`m a firm believer of one in every room. And your hallway and shared room/great room. (I don't have any plans to put any in the bathrooms right now).

I also suggest battery powered smile

#160063 - 12/26/08 11:22 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Desperado]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Err, yes, co2 could be carbon dioxide wouldn't it.
http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?cat...rbon%20monoxide gives a brief description doesn't it.

All the alarm companies around here are just installers for companies like ADT and such. We had one in the old house but between the false alarms from not being installed properly and them not being able to tell me how they can make the police respond any differently than when I call them myself we ended up turning it off, was
$35 a month for nothing.

#160064 - 12/26/08 11:23 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Todd W]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the idea of battery powered too, but when you start having several its a lot of batteries, just like now having to change 4 9v batteries every 6 months. I want to wire everything together with one battery in one place to power them all.

#160070 - 12/26/08 11:36 PM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Eugene]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I like the idea of battery powered too, but when you start having several its a lot of batteries, just like now having to change 4 9v batteries every 6 months. I want to wire everything together with one battery in one place to power them all.

This would be easy if you have access to them via the attic. For people who just want hard wired (non-battery) think about them not-working when the power goes out... or at least buying the ones that take hard wire + a back-up battery.

I believe the ones I got say the battery should last 5 years. I know the yhad some closed units with lithium batts that sthey say last 10.

#160076 - 12/27/08 12:22 AM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Desperado]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I assume we are talking Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. I think there are codes regarding placement of CO detectors in the NFPA. If you have any questions, you could also contact an alarm company that is Lffe/Safety licensed. For the most part, there needs to be one for each "sleeping compartment". Think about NG or LP detectors if that applies also.

Yes definitely pay attention to the Code requirements for locations. I will probably suggest that at least be located outside your furnace room, on the lower levels and main floor, anywhere where you have a sleeping room. CO2 is heavier than air so will settle in the lower levels first. Being interconnected and tied to an electrical circuit with your smoke detectors would be ideal. Time and time again, fire departments go into houses after the fact and realize that some people have either not replaced the batteries or took them out because it beeps too much! Fire chiefs around the world lament because they come into contact with the dead people from all these "accidents".

Especially this time of the year - Christmas is the worst time of the year for residential deaths due to a fire or malfunctioning heating appliance. Locally, we've had several people die in a few fires this festive season - all of the deaths were unnecessary.

#160079 - 12/27/08 12:53 AM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Roarmeister]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Even though my house is all-electric, I got a battery powered CO detector to keep with my emergency portable gas generator.

Jeff

#160087 - 12/27/08 01:27 AM Re: CO2 Detector Placement [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My total experience with them is in RV's. Our Class A motorhome had one right where the "hall" from the living area to the bath/bedroom began. In the fifthwheel, right at the base of the stairs up to the bath/bedroom...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.