Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159206 - 12/19/08 11:29 PM CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

California Supreme Court allows good Samaritans to be sued for "nonmedical" care

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/medicine/la-me-good-samaritan19-2008dec19,0,6547898.story
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#159211 - 12/19/08 11:41 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Well, that ties it up in a bow. All the good and nice folks need to leave California now, I am ready to push it off into the water.

RIP OBG

#159213 - 12/19/08 11:52 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Well, that kinda bites. As a very general principle, I'm leery of laws that deny an injured party their "day in court" altogether. But this interpretation seems clearly against public interest, as well as possibly the broader intent of the legislature and previously established case law. The particular section where a statute is codified seems a mighty thin reed upon which to hang such an interpretation.

It seems to me that "rescue" and "emergency medical care" are rather vague and overlapping concepts, not easily distinguished. The court appears to have made a distinction where there is not much of a difference

Let's hope a jury does the right thing according to the facts of the case, and that the CA legislature moves quickly to restore the status quo ante and re-extend immunity to its proper and reasonable scope.

#159214 - 12/19/08 11:57 PM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Well, that kinda bites. . . . and that the CA legislature moves quickly to restore the status quo ante and re-extend immunity to its proper and reasonable scope. . . .

I wasn't in CA nearly as long as I was in Law School (1 semester before ejecting) and I heard nothing but negative things about the legislature there. Something about the inability to pour something out of a boot I think.

Jeff ya' kinda took off the EMS helmet and grabbed the briefcase there didn't ya' laugh laugh laugh

Edited by Desperado (12/20/08 02:53 AM)

RIP OBG

#159215 - 12/20/08 12:02 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Desperado]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still get pleading phone calls to evacuate horses. The couple who successfully sued me for depreciation of their 'show' horse because he acquired a scar during my rescue subsequently divorced, and sold Black Beauty for his killer price.

It reminds me of the commercial fishing boat I spent 72 hours without even hot coffee towing back to harbour. They complained about the slip I was manuevering them into. I immediately began taking them back out to sea, until their pleas and a direct order from a irate CO changed my mind.

#159218 - 12/20/08 12:27 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
sodak Offline
Addict

People that sue their rescuers should have to have day-glo orange liscense plates to prevent any future attempts.

#159220 - 12/20/08 12:37 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: sodak]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: sodak
People that sue their rescuers should have to have day-glo orange liscense plates to prevent any future attempts.

+1

#159222 - 12/20/08 12:51 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: UncleGoo]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

Yeah this is just another case of no good deed going unpunished. Reminds me of an episode of The Practice where a man got sued for sexual harrassment cause he used cpr to save this womens life and then after court she starts chokeing again and he just looks at her like NO WAY.

#159224 - 12/20/08 12:57 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Well, that kinda bites. As a very general principle, I'm leery of laws that deny an injured party their "day in court" altogether. But this interpretation seems clearly against public interest, as well as possibly the broader intent of the legislature and previously established case law. The particular section where a statute is codified seems a mighty thin reed upon which to hang such an interpretation.

It seems to me that "rescue" and "emergency medical care" are rather vague and overlapping concepts, not easily distinguished. The court appears to have made a distinction where there is not much of a difference

Let's hope a jury does the right thing according to the facts of the case, and that the CA legislature moves quickly to restore the status quo ante and re-extend immunity to its proper and reasonable scope.

Wait just a second, In most states I have visited there was something in the statutes regarding . . . "Failure to stop and render aid". . . Seems like we may have a contradiction in the two laws. I know that one of the last apprehensions I made was for just such a thing in Oklahoma. It applied not to just those who were actually involved, but those who suddenly "go blind" as the dust settles so they aren't late to their nail appointment.

How can the legislature reconcile the two issues I wonder?

RIP OBG

#159229 - 12/20/08 01:13 AM Re: CA Supremes allows Good Samaritans to be sued [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Desperado
How can the legislature reconcile the two issues I wonder?

Why should they bother? I hate to sound cynical, but I doubt they will. Someone might try, but it will probably get killed. They could then stand up and say they are protecting people from those who practice medicine without a liscence or medical vigilantes or some such stupidity.

Remember, legislatures have made laws that include "if two vehicles shall meet at an unsignaled intersection, neither may proceed until the other has gone." They also think that banning inanimate objects can change behavior.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.