Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#157610 - 12/08/08 03:06 AM A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings to all,

As always, and like most of you, I am always adapting to changes in life and work.

Almost every month, I am driving a rental car 800-1000 miles to work and back. That means that I am driving for up to 18 hours, in winter, with very little "Emergency Equipment". I don't consider this to be wise.

I always have my EDC with me and I started collecting various little things along each journey. Things such as restaurant napkins, a plastic spork, condiments, a couple of bottled waters, etc. All of which is INSUFFICIENT for any survival situation during the winter.

A PSK (Personal Survival Kit) was too little equipment and a BoB was too much to carry around. A fellow ETS'er, (SBRAIDER) mentioned that he calls his PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit). The Personal Support Kit, to my understanding is somewhere between a normal PSK and a BoB.

So far, and I'm quoting from memory, I've included the following in my Personal SUPPORT Kit:

Food: Beef Jerky and DATREX rations, (I am going to include a Claxton's Fruitcake shortly), restaurant condiments,

Water: an empty 1 liter water jug, water purification tablets, (I still pick up some bottled water as I drive along)

Shelter: 55gal trash bag, (I'm getting a fleece blanket), (I'm adding spare dry socks), Space blanket, Touque, insulated hunter's gloves

Warmth: Magnesium Firestarter, 2 Bic lighters, strike anywhere matches, 2 chemical hand-warmers, 4 Trioxane, dryer lint

Other: Signal Mirror, Whistle, compass, road maps, basic FAK, travel pack of Wet Ones, cord/shoestrings, 2 pocket knives, bug wipes, toilet paper, 50ft of paracord, Coughlin's "Survival Kit-in-a-Can"

Signals: Photon light, red laser

#157611 - 12/08/08 03:13 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Help me understand why you don't just take a BOB?

Thanks.

#157612 - 12/08/08 03:24 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Because a BoB is too big and too heavy, along with everything else that I have to carry onto the boat in some very rough terrain, at times.

There are things in my BoB that I don't want to be regularly carrying between my home and the boat, across many different state lines.

#157613 - 12/08/08 03:32 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: dweste]
MrEarp Offline
Stranger

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
The fruit cake sounds interesting.. I checked the web site and it says 4 month life expectancy. I wonder if there is anything like that with a longer life.

#157614 - 12/08/08 03:37 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Because a BoB is too big and too heavy, along with everything else that I have to carry onto the boat in some very rough terrain, at times.

There are things in my BoB that I don't want to be regularly carrying between my home and the boat, across many different state lines.

A slimmed-down politically correct BOB?

#157618 - 12/08/08 04:40 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: dweste]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Fleece blanket and spare socks are a must. Carry a spare hat (toque), spare gloves (old mittens work just fine), a spare synthetic t-shirt (in case you get damp/clammy). You could carry a sleeping bag but even myself, I don't go that far (I live in the province of Quebec in eastern Canada and our winters can be harsh).

You should also equip yourself with a powerful flashlight with spare batteries (something better than the Photon). A typical LED headlamp along with a 3-Watt Luxeon LED flashlight would be nice.

Small candle and holder of some sort (for warmth).

Basically, staying warm and being able to see in the dark would be my two priorities. Hope that helped!

#157632 - 12/08/08 06:08 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: SARbound]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I stopped carrying a fleece blanket - I find them too small (if they are over my feet, they don't cover my shoulders etc

I got a queen sized heavy duty wool blanket - last week, we had a slight cold snap, and of course, my kids had forgotten to take warm jackets to school - while waiting for the truck to warm, they were sure glad that my blanket could cover both of them
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#157633 - 12/08/08 09:29 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: wildman800]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
A PSK (Personal Survival Kit) was too little equipment and a BoB was too much to carry around. A fellow ETS'er, (SBRAIDER) mentioned that he calls his PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit). The Personal Support Kit, to my understanding is somewhere between a normal PSK and a BoB.

What you're describing is essentially a small GHB (Get Home Bag).

Jim

#157634 - 12/08/08 11:58 AM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: wildman800]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Seriously missing in your kit: Communications. Quite frankly, I'd skip most of the food and go with a GPS, a Cell phone and/or CB radio. If you really wanted to do it right, and are concerned about being on the side of the road unseen by other drivers, a SPOT messenger device would be a good thing.

#157635 - 12/08/08 12:01 PM Re: A PSK (Personal SUPPORT Kit) ........ [Re: wildman800]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

Try living in PA, but doing most of your shopping in NJ. I sometimes have to leave a bag at the firehouse (Which is right at the bridge to NJ) when going to pick up cat food at the store on the other side of the bridge.

And let's not even think about the time I responded to a fire call and remembered only as we rolled up to the call - in NJ - that I was "packed up" with more than an air-pack. Fire? Whatever. NJ Troopers. Uh-oh.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.