Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#158168 - 12/13/08 05:14 AM Power outage in my SoCal Coastal Town.
sotto Offline
Addict

The power went down in my local coastal SoCal neighborhood a couple hours ago. I headed out to the shed to bring in my 3 kerosene lanterns and one small brass anchor light. All 3 of the kerosene lanterns had to have lots of dust wiped off them and the globes before I could fire them up. One of the lanterns would not adjust the wick up or down after sitting for a few years. I had to go searching for some wooden matches to reach far enough under the globe to light the wicks. It seems I have over-compensated with too many Cricket piezo butane lighters to replace unreliable wooden matches that deteriorate over time and won't light reliably anymore. I finally found a stash of wooden restaurant matches but will, in the future, store some sealed stick matches with the lanterns so I don't have to go looking for them next time.

BTW, the power came back on after about an hour and a half, but it was an excellent little "drill".

#158182 - 12/13/08 12:06 PM Re: Power outage in my SoCal Coastal Town. [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
At least you had lantern's & fuel, most people can't even find a flashlight, and those that can probably don't have good batterys.
It's a good idea to test the lanterns from time to time as well as flashlights for bad batteries or bulbs. Always keep a supply of wicks,batteries, bulbs etc. handy. Little drills are always good to keep us ready for when it's the real thing, which I believe is just around the corner.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#158228 - 12/13/08 10:21 PM Re: Power outage in my SoCal Coastal Town. [Re: Shadow_oo00]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

next time you buy stick matches try and find something like these--extra long..

i picked these up at a Swedish import shop..

nothing beats them for lighting Coleman style lamps..

i found that using a wood kitchen match i can't reach the mantles and by the time the gas reaches the match there is enought vapor in the globe to give you that "poof!!!" that Coleman lamps users know so well--

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 219 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.