Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156700 - 11/30/08 10:20 PM Petzl E+Lite
Jeff Offline

Click Here for Information on the Petzl E+Lite

I have One of Doug's Photon Freedom Micro led lights on each keychain.

Does anyone have the Petzl E+lite to compare the two.

I would like to know the size of the Petzl light compared to the Photon.

Any other info about this light would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

#156704 - 12/01/08 12:55 AM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: Jeff]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'd say the e+Lite is about the size of two Photons side by side. It uses CR2032 batteries, which will also work in the white Photons (albeit with a lot less light output but long runtime) The only concern I have is the durability of the plastic swivel where the headlamp connects to the base, but so far no problems. FWIW, I bought mine as a backup headlamp and wound up using it more than my primary.

#156728 - 12/01/08 05:02 AM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: ]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
The e+Lite is the smallest, brightest headlamp with the best switch design. I've used mine in many environments and used it this morning when I had to go under the house to check on something. I like this light so much I gave one each to six different family members last x-mas.

#156730 - 12/01/08 05:11 AM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: ]
timo Offline

The value of the e+lite is that it is specifically a head mounted light. To this purpose, it is extremely light weight, very good quality, moderately water resistant and can be aimed (many headlights cannot, forcing you to look where the light is instead of being able to point the light exactly where you want it.).

You can also remove the headstrap and clip it to a hat brim.
Sizewize, it's very small for it's purpose. Using CR2032 batteries allows this. Is it as bright as a AAA or AA powered light?
No. but it's smaller and lighter than those lights. A fair trade off to me.

To me the size issue is secondary to the primary function of the product.
Again, the e+lite is primarily a head light. Probably the smallest, HIGH QUALITY headlight. There is plenty of disposable junk out there. The e+light is worth it's size.

I have two e+lites and many Photons. While I carry around a Photon on my keychain, I'd never consider carrying around an e+light everyday. But when I need a headlight the e+lite's extremely light weight and aimability fit the bill 90% of the time.

Since you already have Photons, go ahead and get an e+lite too. I promise you will find a use for it. I use mine more often than I though I would.

#156747 - 12/01/08 03:15 PM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: timo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have the e+lite and several photons. One on my keychain as well. I EDC the e+lite. Love it. If your looking for something in the Tika/e+lite headlamp range I highly recommend the e+lite.

Many have questioned how durable some parts are like the swivel and the cord lock. My five year old is like the Samsonite Gorilla and it hasn't caused one issue on either part.

It can fit on your head with or without a helmet, around your wrist, tied to an object. It has multiple light settings that make a lot of sense with a great 'Lock' function.

It is certainly not a primary headlamp. If your looking for a quick light for finding something that dropped, the photon on a key chain has faster deployment. If you need a light for darkened reading or movement, hands free options and multiple functions, e+lite is awesome.

#156771 - 12/01/08 05:54 PM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: comms]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I really like my Tikka XP. I prefer common battery types like the AAA in the XP. It is very bright and I change the batteries out about once a year with monthly three day camping trips along with other use.

#156818 - 12/02/08 02:46 AM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: aloha]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Don't know how big it is compared to the Photon but can certainly vouch for the Petzl e-Lite. It is worth every penny and then some.

I have a few of them -- one in my purse, backpack that I bike to work with, car, etc.

And even better testament is that I gave one to a friend for her Himalaya trek (Bhutan)and she loved it.

The 10-year shelf life of those batteries and the incredibly diminutive size of the light make it a fantastic "emergency-light."

#157086 - 12/04/08 05:56 PM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: Jeff]
neurotik Offline
Geek
Stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have both the Petzl E+Lite and the Petzl Signal. I keep both in my FAK at all times.

The E+Lite is easily worth what it costs as it is very bright, very small, and very flexible. (can be a headlight, can clip to a hat-bill, can stand on it's own) The brightness adjustability, plus having a red LED, and a flashing function are terrific.

I don't use the E+Lite as an everyday light. This is mostly because of the more costly coin-cell batteries. But those same batteries make it excellent for storage. (~10 year shelf life)

My primary everyday headlight is a Petzl Tikka XP as it is also quite small, uses "normal" batteries (AAA), and fits in a Petzl Poche Tikka (pouch) on the strap of my laptop backpack.

Attached is a picture which includes some size reference. Included; Tape measure, Petzl E+Lite, Petzl Signal, Photon Freedom microlight, Photon Rex, an Apple iPhone, and a set of keys (key pattern masked to prevent duplication)

#157211 - 12/05/08 11:53 AM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: neurotik]
Jeff Offline

Absolutely awesome picture.

I ended up getting the Petzl Tikka XP yesterday.
I am extremely impressed with it. The boost mode is great. The ablility to go from spot light to wide beam is very useful too.

I have a lot of lights to compare it to including an old Petzl Myo 5.

This Petzl Tikka XP is MUCH better than my old Petzl Myo 5. Petzl has come a long way in the quality of their LED lights.

I got the Petzl Tikka XP rather than the Petzl e+lite because I wanted longer run times and the ablility to use boost, spot, and wide angle beam options.
This light won't be able to be kept on my keychain but it will be with me at all times anyway.
I have a photon freedom on each keychain.

Thanks again.

Jeff

#157238 - 12/05/08 03:48 PM Re: Petzl E+Lite [Re: Jeff]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I don't think that was a bad decision. I have used my Tikka as a primary front light for pre-sunrise bike rides. Not the best choice but its a great back up to the bike mounted light. I use the Tikka as a reading light in bed and as my work light under cabinets or in hands free situations.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I carry the e+lite 24/7 in my EDC pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.