Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154598 - 11/07/08 11:09 PM My Canteen Kit
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Well here it is, my canteen kit, so far:

It is a modified Maxpedition M-4 Waistpack: HERE

I removed the side pouch covers, as they were velcro. I much prefer the buckles, so I put them and the straps on.
I have Malice clips on the back.

Contents:
Bandana, Millbank Bag with paracord to suspend with, 1 liter Aqua Pouch, Polar Pure, Wooden Spoon, Aqua Mira chlorine dioxide tablets, 8 feet of plastic tubing, several twist ties to assist keeping tubing straight with a stick when reaching otherwise inaccessible water sources, Bic lighter, trioxane fuel, paracord length for tiedown to pouch, heavy duty aluminum foil, canteen, cup, and stove.

The only other addition I haven't worked out quite yet is a large sheet of plastic for solar distillation. I might just tie it onto the bottom wrapped inside another bandana for some meager protection. After I do that, I think it will be ready to go.

Another consideration is a small filter such as the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro: HERE
I'm not exactly sure how I will fit this in if I do get it. Perhaps a long thin pouch that goes underneath and holds it horizontally.

I have tried to design this kit for water acquisition, treatment, and carry in as many potential situations as possible.

Any comments, suggestions, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

#154605 - 11/08/08 12:17 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like. The only change I might make is to leave out the Polar Pure (you have AM tabs) and the milbank bag. The bandana will work for a filter. In their place, a little flashlight, a ferro rod, and some jute cord (cordage and tinder)?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154612 - 11/08/08 01:24 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i was going to suggest one of the old metal canteens so you could heat water in it but i see this is just the water part of the kit and your out West where finding and treating water is an issue..

#154617 - 11/08/08 02:19 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think yu will find solar stills a stillborn concept. But sheeting is always nice to have. You may want to pick up some of those super compressed kitchen sponges to collect dew and fog drip.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/08/08 02:20 AM)

#154619 - 11/08/08 02:24 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: ironraven]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I thought about leaving out the Polar Pure, but it has no expiration date and will last virtually forever, whereas the AM expires after a few years and must be replaced. If cryptosporidium is likely, I will use the AM, otherwise the Polar Pure will suffice. Both these methods are only for when boiling is impossible or inconvenient.

True the bandana can filter, but the Millbank Bag is a much tighter weave, and can be used to hold things if need be, such as small edibles.

I have my light, ferro, tinder, and cordage in another kit. But if I have the extra room I might add some of my fire kit.

Edited by Troglodyte007 (11/08/08 02:48 AM)

#154621 - 11/08/08 02:37 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I know that solar stills aren't worth much in the dry sand dune desert, but they can be very useful for turning saltwater (beaches, saltmarshes) into fresh, or for getting water from vegetation (even wrapped around limbs of trees and bushes, trapping transpiration), or from non-desert areas with no other water source other than a slightly moist soil, and even to get clean water from a contaminated source.
But even in the dry desert, they are better than nothing. They also can be used to turn urine into fresh water.
The thing with solar stills in the desert is to fill them with vegetation (cactus or whatever is available) and urine.
Despite the negative press a solar still can have, they actually have many applicable uses. We just typically tend to think about the desert when we hear someone say solar still.

And also, the sheet can catch alot of rainwater.

I might have to give that sponge idea a go. Kept in a plastic bag (to avoid unwanted moisture gain) in the inside sleeve might be just right. Although the bandana could probably serve that purpose just as well. Maybe I'll do an experiment comparing the two.

Edited by Troglodyte007 (11/08/08 02:52 AM)

#154622 - 11/08/08 02:45 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i was going to suggest one of the old metal canteens so you could heat water in it but i see this is just the water part of the kit and your out West where finding and treating water is an issue..

My food kit has a 36 ounce widemouth (I can fit my spoon into it) metal container that cooks food and boils enough water to fill my canteen.

#154623 - 11/08/08 02:47 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: ]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
One of MaxPed's "Rolly Polly" pouches would compliment the canteen kit nicely and hold the filter well. Or maybe one of their "Envelope Cases."

I'm really surprised by how big MaxPedition is getting. They're really branching out and making more and more products.

I might move the trioxane into the main pocket and be able to fit the Frontier Pro in the side pocket, minus the accessories which would go into the main pocket.

#154631 - 11/08/08 03:38 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Just a thought, but why not use a AMK heatsheet as your plastic sheet? It's big, fairly rugged, and can double as, of course, shelter. For collecting rainwater, you could spread it out, pop a small hole in the center, and funnel the water into a container. It'd be strong enough to not worry too much about the hole extending (some duct tape would help there too)

#154637 - 11/08/08 04:42 AM Re: My Canteen Kit [Re: MDinana]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Just a thought, but why not use a AMK heatsheet as your plastic sheet? It's big, fairly rugged, and can double as, of course, shelter. For collecting rainwater, you could spread it out, pop a small hole in the center, and funnel the water into a container. It'd be strong enough to not worry too much about the hole extending (some duct tape would help there too)

I have a clear plastic sheet because it can be used as a solar still.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.