Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113638 - 11/26/07 01:50 PM Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I just saw an interesting looking gun in the NRA's American Hunter magazine. It comes with 3 interchangeable barrels: .243 Win, .22 LR, and 20 gauge shotgun. The blurb and the accompanying photo show a synthetic stock, scope mounts and an adjustable cheekpiece. Surprisingly, there is no mention of it yet at Rossi's US website although they do list a wood-stocked version without the mounts and cheekpiece here.

All in all a pretty versatile setup. A scoped .243 for long range deer-size game, .22 LR for small game, shotloads for birds, and slugs for (admittedly last-ditch) bear defense. I could see this as a pilot's survival gun depending on the weight, and of course the quality.

Edited by norad45 (11/26/07 01:57 PM)

#113643 - 11/26/07 02:16 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: norad45]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Quite interresting. I will have to take a look at it in detail.

Thanks,
Bill

#113644 - 11/26/07 02:16 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: norad45]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not bad I suppose, though I would like the high power chambering in something just a tad stronger, say a 25-06 or 25 WSSM as a minimum, just so I wouldn't feel too guilty shooting it at elk sized game.

I dunno about classing this as a pilot's survival firearm, though. Toting three barrels around is I think problematic from a survival perspective, and certainly would be prohibitive for E&E.

NEF makes a nice single shot with interchangable barrels that is much more versatile, in that you they have many more chambering configurations to choose from. Then again, Thompson makes a single shot pistol that also has interchangable barrels and is good for hunting most north american game except maybe Griz or Kodiak or Polar bears.

It is, of course, nice to see the market grow by the addition of new models and variations. I won't knock Rossi for putting it out there one bit. I am sure there's gonna be a market for this baby.

#113649 - 11/26/07 03:11 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: benjammin]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

You are right of course about E&E. I should have specified a civilian application where one would expect to be able to stay with the downed aircraft.

I would prefer a larger caliber to .243 for elk as well, but at 5 lbs (for the wood-stocked version at least) it might get to be a burden to shoot. (I think these were developed with youth hunters in mind rather than as a survival tool.) But in a survival situation a .243, while not perfect, will get the job done.

#113650 - 11/26/07 03:17 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: norad45]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Last spring I briefly looked at Rossi combo's at Gander Mountain, but, the sights were held on by plastic. I'm not a fan of that, so that setup was a no no for me.

#113655 - 11/26/07 03:36 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: Stu]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Without seeing it I agree that sounds pretty cheesy, and would definately be something to look out for. The NRA review site here mentions that it has "Fiber-optic sights and a Weaver-style scope base" so hopefully they have upgraded.

I did find a picture sans scope here. While butt-ugly, it is kind of cool looking. smile

#113697 - 11/26/07 09:27 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: williamlatham]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
If I have to travel on foot with a gun I vote for a large caliber handgun for self defense, like a Glock G23, and a .22lr handgun or rifle for food like a T/C Contender or an Advantage Arms .22lr slide. I have one for my Glock 23 and it is accurate and reliable. It loves the Remington golden bullet.

#113699 - 11/26/07 09:46 PM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: Craig_phx]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Craig,
I have been toying with the idea of a .22LR conversion from AA for my G17. It sounds like you are quite happy with yours for the G23.
Bill

The Trifecta is a youth gun so won't it be a bit small for many shooters?

#113776 - 11/27/07 06:14 AM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: billym]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If the best survival knife is 'the one you have on you' I shudder at what I've seen used in the field for 'survival rifles.' Brooks Range Alaska homesteaders favour misurp Mauser 98s with factory loadings notoriously underpowered in a equally notorious cartridge for reloading. In much of South America the single shot shotgun is king, and so deadly compared to indigenous weapons many arboreal species are in danger as much from native hunters as clearcutting.But the firearms industry would have us believe only the new wunder cartridge will do in it's proprietory new launching package. Several years past Marlin came out with the 'guide gun' a miserable carbine version of their .45-70 with visions of stopping all those killer bears in league with pagan biker gangs to devour any and all outside of Area 51 where Steve Fossey no doubt encountered a UFO and is talking with TBF Avenger pilots.I lost track of all the self proclaimed 'guides' who felt obligated to buy one, replete with personal stories of stopping said bears. I always wanted the splendid Luftwaffe Sauer Drilling. I finally did hunt with a Drilling, flushed a deer and raised my rifle to fire the 7x57R. the 16 guage report reminded me why I like the KISS principle.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/27/07 06:17 AM)

#113780 - 11/27/07 06:45 AM Re: Interesting survival gun: Rossi Trifecta [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've been tempted to buy a shotgun for survival for a long time. The shotgun seems to be the most versatile. Easy to get shells, you can hunt anything with it, best for self defense...but then I remember the statistics. Lots of people shoot bears and the bear still kills them (a grizzly can still function for a time after it's heart has stopped pumping). I don't know of a single case where properly used pepper spray wasn't 100% effective.

Still tempted to buy the shotgun but I haven't found an argument strong enough to get it yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.