The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153973 - 11/02/08 12:17 PM ATAX
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Fun little thing I saw posted elsewhere: ATAX.

Quote:
It’s an AX…

A knife

A skinner

A wire cutter

A range finder

A compass

An Inclinometer

A clock

A wrench

A hammer

A rescue tool

A survival kit holder

A fire bow bearing

An arrow launcher

A field level

www.kravmagafederation.com

#153974 - 11/02/08 12:29 PM Re: ATAX [Re: Rodion]
SolidVFR Offline

Very interesting...

#153978 - 11/02/08 02:15 PM Re: ATAX [Re: Rodion]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It is a special gadget. It was designed by Ron Hood, and works pretty well for Ron Hood, despite the obviously cut fingers in the picture from where they encountered the back of the blade. It is in the same category as the Tracker knife, designed by Tom Brown for Tom Brown. Both get sold on the strength of their reputations and are probably taught to their students. Both are very expensive, and both are hard to find due to the limited production. Both come with manuals on how to use them. If you know how to sharpen your knife, you shouldn't need a manual to maintain and use your knife IMO.

One of the few knives like this I've seen that don't leave me cold is the Pathfinder from Dave Cantebury. That looks to be pretty much idiot proof- it is a mini kukri type blade with a bit of saw tooth on the spine for making notches. But generally, I'd rather have a good, simple knife, and either a SAK or a multi with a saw blade for making the notches and to have as a back up blade.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153986 - 11/02/08 02:54 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ironraven]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Honestly? People take that knife seriously?

People are always trying to stretch the lengths of credulity. Wasn't that the same with Hal Gibbons knives? Great designs but to see any real enthusiast trying to use them for more than a movie prop or collection was just ridiculous.

There is a reason why fixed blades like the Mora, Gerber LMF, Ka-Bar and the Pathfinder listed above are styles of choice of hunters and military for decades.

The more instruction something needs, generally the more useless it becomes.

#153995 - 11/02/08 03:48 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

another gizmo..grown up version of the 10-in-one match case,compass--so on..it sort of fits the bill for those who think "if i had just one magic survival item to could do anything".
i have not see the video of him using it but i'll bet it's like the guys at the State Fair--"it slices--it dices--makes french frys"---you use it once and go back to the same old kitchen knife--

#154004 - 11/02/08 06:49 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
This is a public forum, not Amazon's feedback panel. If you do happen to have an ATAX, feel free to share your experience (and maybe post a picture or two)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#154015 - 11/02/08 09:32 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
While true that I do not own one, nor have I used one, does not necessarily mean that I can not make observations about it. Like the others that have made postings about it, I too have seen a number of items that claim to 'slice, dice, mince, chop... ad nauseum. I too have found them to be lacking in all of the areas and have found that they are a jack of all trades but a master of none. Given the many years that I have experienced these things, I too find myself thinking that one good knife is better than the gadgets......

Please don't hesitate to provide us with some real experience with it....I am interested in what it can really do and has really done.

#154025 - 11/02/08 10:43 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ironraven]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven
the Pathfinder from Dave Cantebury.

I can't find it.

#154028 - 11/02/08 11:05 PM Re: ATAX [Re: ]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
The Pathfinder from Dave Canterbury.

and

Pathfinder Knife

#154029 - 11/02/08 11:25 PM Re: ATAX [Re: Rodion]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
The thing with multi-purpose tools is that there is often a compromise. It will seldom do all its functions as well as a device that is designed to do a particular function exclusively. That said, it is better to have a hatchet that is also a mediocre hammer than to have nothing but a stick to drive a stake. If you are happy with the compromises, and are comfortable using a tool, then go for it. If you think it's a gimmick... don't get it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.