The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#148891 - 09/14/08 10:29 PM Minor "oops" and a reminder
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
When something heavy, particularly if it might havs a sharp edge, DONT try to catch it

I was digging aroung in the basement, looking for a tool, when my smoothing plane fell off the shelf, and yeah, I tried to grab it. (someone extended the blade ALL the way - probably my 7 YO son, but)

Put a nice 2.5" long quite deep cut in my left pinkie.

Dropped the plane, ran upstairs, grabbed some papre towels, and went for direct pressure, walked next door, got a neighbor to come over and help me bandage the figer well enough to go to the ER and have it checked - no nerve/tendon dammage (yeah!) so just 3 stitches, and some bandages.

My family was not home, luckly a neighbor was.

I was not doing anything that would normally be considered dangerous (I won't use power tools while home alone, or even sharp hand tools) - I was just trying to get some tools setup, none of which were sharp/dangerous, but...)

Because of the location of the cut, they want me to keep the stitches in 2 weeks - joy, typing with 9 fingers is not fun
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#148893 - 09/14/08 11:00 PM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: KG2V]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Glad you are going to be ok.

I wasn't so lucky and cut a tendon in half on my ring finger frown I`m not sure about you but I was in more pain when i twas cleaned than when it happened.

-Todd

Edited by ToddW (09/14/08 11:00 PM)

#148895 - 09/14/08 11:15 PM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: KG2V]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
typing with 9 fingers is not fun

I do it with 2.

#148899 - 09/15/08 12:02 AM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

I do it with 2.

Interesting. You must be quite the unusual specimen. The most talented typist I know only uses eight fingers and two thumbs. I don't think I have ever met anyone with ten fingers.

After years of practice I moved into the more advanced level of two fingers, two thumbs, and occasionally my forehead. A vast improvement in efficiency.

#148900 - 09/15/08 12:03 AM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

I do it with 2.
smile Beat me to it cool

#148919 - 09/15/08 05:24 AM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: Todd W]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Glad you are going to be ok.

I wasn't so lucky and cut a tendon in half on my ring finger frown I`m not sure about you but I was in more pain when i twas cleaned than when it happened.

-Todd

Pressure irrigation - I was not properly numbed yet when they first tried - I think they heard me 2 floors up. I had a brand new MD. Seems he's been in the ER something like 10-12 days, so everything had to be checked by his "boss"

It was a fun trip. The first thing that happened was that when they tried to draw the lidocane from the first bottle - it exploded - the MD and I got a bath in lidocane. Then the MDs had a discussion of "differenet ways to numb the finger" - aka where and how to inject

The first set of injections nummed me from the knuckle to oh, mid way up the 2nd digit. When they went to clean - I screamed - they did a 2nd set, that got most of the finger numb, but when they got to the distal digit, I screamed, but not as loud. The did more, fine through the cleaning, but when they went to do the actual stitches, I said (not scream) Thathurts a bit - they did a 4th set, and then I totally lost the finger - to the point that as he was sewing me up, I said "I'd hate to saound mundane, but I'm hungry" (I cut myself at 11am, and it was now 2pm)

To make this more fun, as I walked out of the ER, I called my wife. My father in law collapsed at the Mets game, and was rushed to the hospital - heat stroke. My F-I-L is one of those folks who is "always cold" and was wearing a 3 season jacket, cordoroy pants, and a wool hat - in 100 deg heat index. He spent about 6 hours in the hospital getting an IV, and being checked out.

Edit:
One thing I learned again - it's HARD to try and put dressings on yourself, in particular, your hands. Luckily, my neighbor was home to help me, and I could direct him right to the first aid kit

Edited by kc2ixe (09/15/08 05:26 AM)
Edit Reason: add part about neighbor
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#148921 - 09/15/08 09:20 AM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: KG2V]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Glad you are doing better.

#148937 - 09/15/08 12:56 PM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have a stupid habit of, when I drop something, quickly sticking my foot under it to break the fall. No matter what I drop, no matter what I have (or do not have) on my foot. Funny fact: a knife dropped will almost always end up going down point first (kinda like a dropped cat landing feet first. Right Blast?). Anyone else ever had a Buck 110 sticking out of the top of their bare foot???

#148939 - 09/15/08 01:13 PM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Reminds me of an article I once read where the author theorized that if you strapped a piece of toast butter side out to the back of a cat, you're create an anti-gravity device that would never touch the floor. I heard Blast is bored...

Speaking of bad habits, I heard of a person that used an industrial hot glue gun a lot and was in the habit quickly putting her fingers in her mouth when she got a little glue on them. One day she got a LOT of glue on them and put a fistfull of hot glue in her mouth...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#148942 - 09/15/08 01:40 PM Re: Minor "oops" and a reminder [Re: thseng]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: thseng
Reminds me of an article I once read where the author theorized that if you strapped a piece of toast butter side out to the back of a cat, you're create an anti-gravity device that would never touch the floor. I heard Blast is bored...

I read a Scientific American article that went through the math proving that a piece of toast pushed off a sharp cornered surface between 2 feet high and 9 feet high will rotate between 90 and 270 degrees- which means it will land buttered side down.

In another issue was an article that described how a falling cat without any initial angular momentum can twist it's torso to land on it's feet.

They haven't done both together yet, though.

Edited by GoatRider (09/15/08 01:40 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.