Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147748 - 09/07/08 10:49 AM New Kit Container
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan

So I found this when I got to Korea, its almost the perfect container. Its a metal rice bowl, with a lid to keep the rice warm before it gets to the table. I finally found a metal one like they use in restaurants (all the tourist places want to sell you ceramic ones). Its almost the perfect kit container. Metal and big enough to cook in, it holds eight ounces not quite full to the brim. Its two inches tall and about four in diameter and made of eighteen gauge steel practically crush proof. Its big, but not too big for a winter coat pocket. The only problem is the lid doesn't lock or seal down. But sealed with electrical tape, it is solidly closed and waterproof. For all that, it was five dollars and probably only that expensive because I bought it at a tourist shop.

Attachments
DSCN0936.1.jpg (448 downloads)

#147759 - 09/07/08 12:51 PM Re: New Kit Container [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Cute. Whatcha gonna use it for exactly???

#147818 - 09/07/08 09:22 PM Re: New Kit Container [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Well, eventually I'm going to buy a set of them and eat rice out them. grin

But this one I'm considering making into a beefed up kit in a tin style kit. Except the tin itself will actually be big enough to use. I've read people say that they'll use an Altoids size tin to cook in, which just isn't practical. This is small, but you could actually boil water and warm yourself up with it. Improvising a handle for it will be kind of difficult though, because its pretty flat and so rounded on the top and bottom.

Alternatively, I could make a small tea kit, using the bowl as a pot and a tuna can alcohol stove as the heat source.

#147824 - 09/07/08 09:53 PM Re: New Kit Container [Re: AROTC]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: AROTC
Well, eventually I'm going to buy a set of them and eat rice out them. grin

But this one I'm considering making into a beefed up kit in a tin style kit. Except the tin itself will actually be big enough to use. I've read people say that they'll use an Altoids size tin to cook in, which just isn't practical. This is small, but you could actually boil water and warm yourself up with it. Improvising a handle for it will be kind of difficult though, because its pretty flat and so rounded on the top and bottom.

Alternatively, I could make a small tea kit, using the bowl as a pot and a tuna can alcohol stove as the heat source.

If that is your intention, perhaps you could drill some holes near the lip and add a wire bail instead of a handle.

#147833 - 09/07/08 10:38 PM Re: New Kit Container [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Improvising a handle..."

I don't see a lip on the bowl, but a regular old pot gripper might work with it, as long as you keep pressure on the grips...

#147885 - 09/08/08 08:39 AM Re: New Kit Container [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

I just discovered something, with the bowl full of water, a pair of nail clippers works like a small version of REI's universal pot grabber. The edge of the bowl curls in and you can grab hold of that and pick it up.

Now I need to make a tin can stove and try it out.

#147918 - 09/08/08 02:22 PM Re: New Kit Container [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, you should be able to make a compression handle around the bowl just at or slightly below where it is at it's widest (I usually use a leather strap). Wrap the strap around the pot, pinch it tight with a binder clip, then use the ends as a flexible handle. You could also make a handle like that using bailing wire or a wire coat hanger and just twist it up tight enough for the pot to just sit in it. If there were a outward bent lip around the top, that'd be an even better spot to bind around.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.