Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147611 - 09/06/08 03:38 AM Survival Syllabus
aeaas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Boulder, CO
Although the thought of outdoor survival classes appeals to me, I am having a tough time getting 4-5 consecutive days off work. As I am big fan of self directed study (aka studying on your own), I was wondering if anyone has seen a "survival syllabus" or would contribute some topics they would cover to come up with a list of skills/knowledge one should cover maximize their chance of survival should they need it. What I would love to do is take every Sat or Sunday and go out into the woods to practice. I would have no problem buying 'required reading' too.

Since I guess it would impact what I should learn, I do most of my hiking/backpacking in the mountains west of Boulder, CO.

Thank you!

#147621 - 09/06/08 06:45 AM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: aeaas]
Stephan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Australia
I would be very interested to see if there is such a thing as a 'learn from home survival corse', and would personaly give one a try if you find a good one. However personal experience is always a good way to know what works and what doesn't.

In the past I have taken a bunch of survival notes from various books on things that I wanted to try and just my persional survival kit, then spend a number of days trying them. Its amazing how differently you view your gear once you have put it to use in that kind of situation.

It also becomes evident quite quickly whick of the books on survival are based on usable real world skills, and which are not.

Plus its always a lot of fun! I would advise stashing a pack full of supplies nearby though and always have an emergency signaling device handy (eg phone) to keep things safe.

#147650 - 09/06/08 03:35 PM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: Stephan]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I think I speak for several people when I say that the "Home Study Course" that you are looking for is what we always do....Try it at home on your own. Is there someone out there that has a 'correspondants course'? Probably not...but I don't know for certain.

If you read through old posts, you will find a number of things that various members have tried.....for example....I once took a piece of leather from an old boot and 'made' a piece of leather thong out of it. The (approx) 3x3 inch piece made a 6-7 foot long thong. I wrote about how I did it and the (more detailed) directions and results.......

Many of us do this and write about our findings......I know I have learned a tremendous amount from others on this site. Things that work and things that don't.....I guess you could say that ETS "IS" the home study course.....!

#147672 - 09/06/08 08:34 PM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: CJK]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
If you want a book then for the basics try the U.S. Army Survival Manual (FM 21-75). You can pick it up or order it from Barnes and Noble. It has many different skills described in detail that you can study and practice. The Rocky Mountain National Forest and areas up by Lyons and Netherland have optimal areas that you can practice. If you feel that you have mastered on (or at least feel comfortable doing it) then move on to another. If you have questions, the members here in the ETS forum are never short of advise and suggestion. Have fun and be careful.

#147674 - 09/06/08 08:46 PM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: CJK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...ETS "IS" the home study course..."

GOOD answer!!!

#147698 - 09/06/08 11:14 PM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: aeaas]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Step 1. Beg, borrow, rent, or steal Ron Hood's wilderness survival videos.

Step 2. Watch them.

Step 3. Try doing the stuff yourself.

He goes through stuff in a very wel-organized manner in order of importance.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#147699 - 09/06/08 11:30 PM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: Blast]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
SAS Survival Guide has a ghastly habit of advocating voluntary dehydration, but otherwise is pretty good. With its small size, there's no reason not to keep one in your pack.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#147715 - 09/07/08 01:57 AM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: Rodion]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...its small size..."

I have gotta get one of those mini-versions, mine is about 12" x 12" x 1"...

#147744 - 09/07/08 07:50 AM Re: Survival Syllabus [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Really? There's also the Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine that's included in AMK's bigger kits.

www.kravmagafederation.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.